Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:02 PM

207 posts, read 748,817 times

Advertisements

Going back to my hotel in Celebration from a shopping trip tonight I got to a toll booth, with no one inside, I stop to and read the info to find out what to do after few mins my wife and I came to a conclusion that we need to pay $.50, I have no idea where to put the money until my wife point out the metal thing that look like you put your change into (we saw something like that in the movie) but we have no change only bill, while stopping at the toll station trying to figure out what to do a car pull up behind me, I got out and asked for help and the driver signal to me "just go", so I figure that maybe I don't have to worry so I drove off, looking behind my rear view mirror still wondering about the whole situation I saw the driver pull up to the toll booth for a few second then drove off, I think he was paying for the toll.
Did I screw up, what kind of penalty should I be expecting, I’m driving a rental car.
BTW: coming from Canada we have no toll, and every time we cross over the border and passing through a toll road, there's always some one there to collect the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 12:28 AM

25 posts, read 89,143 times
I ran through the same problem in Orlando. I was flipping out, I think the sign had read something like a $100 fine. Being in a rent a car also, I didn't want to drive past it, knowing they were going to take a picture of my tags. Luckily a car drove up behind me after about 5 minutes, I got out my car and walked up to him. I think he might have thought I was going to car jack him or something, but seeing his manner I lifted my hands up by my chest and approached the car. I asked him for change for a dollar and he just ended up giving me the 50 cents. I thanked him and was on my way. Not even 1 mile later another damn toll. This one is 75 cents now, and now I'm like wtf. I am now wondering what is going on here. How come no one works in these damn things. Again I was very lucky after about 5 minutes. A taxi drove up and he had change for a dollar. I'm glad he drove up when he did, cause my option was to drive through it, which I didn't want to do. When I got to my hotel I asked the front desk guy about this and what would have happened. He said something like a $30 to $40 fine. So I would imagine they took a picture of your tag, will trace it back to you, and send you a ticket. The next day I woke up and bought me a roll of quarters...

Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 AM

143 posts, read 652,045 times
The expressway authority allows you to run tolls three times a month. I guess they fugure these things happen. I've run tolls a few times when my Epass battery has died or I left it in another car and nothing has never happened. My roomate on the other hand ran tolls frequently and finally got a ticket for a few hundred. But for you two should be fine.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:20 AM

207 posts, read 748,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaRick View Post
The expressway authority allows you to run tolls three times a month. I guess they fugure these things happen. I've run tolls a few times when my Epass battery has died or I left it in another car and nothing has never happened. My roomate on the other hand ran tolls frequently and finally got a ticket for a few hundred. But for you two should be fine.
Is there a number/website where i can find this infomation? I like to get this issue resolved.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:27 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,791,588 times
Go to Welcome to SunPass.com.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:19 AM

467 posts, read 1,692,286 times
I got a post card in the mail once from the expressway authority after running a toll and it was a polite letter that explained that after 3 times I would be fined. I want to say it was $100.00. This was maybe 7 years ago. I dont know how many times I ran prior to that but I have run them here and there without any problems.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,648 times
Ha when I was in Orlando the same thing happened to me. I've never seen a toll where you can't get change. Anyway, I was in a rental and being from New England, I just ran it and hoped for the best. Never got fined or anything, and now that I know you can do it three times I wont't worry when I go back there this month.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:19 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,151,270 times
They are trying to get all the change booths taken out of the booths so that everything is automated and done through transponders. There was an article in the Orlando Sentinel on this recently.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
Those transponders can be a problem too. One morning before 7 am, I was on my way to a friend's house to pick up her dog before she left for vacation. I entered the toll booth having a transponder and I was going slow as there was a sheriff in the other lane. I went through and all of a sudden I see 'blue lights' behind me. When I pulled over the officer said 'Why did I blow through the toll the booth.' I explained I had a transponder and it had minutes so I had no idea what had happened. I also said 'I saw you getting your receipt so I surely wouldn't run it knowing you were there'. I was pretty rattled mainly because he was so rude even after seeing the transponder.
I called Sunpass later and they affirmed I had minutes and noted the toll booth.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:39 PM

181 posts, read 453,691 times
Talking this thread gets the prize for good humour

The same happened to me in December 2007, so sitting here in Cape Town tonight reading these posts out loud to my wife, we re lived our experience and it gave us all a good laugh as I dramatized each post with humor while reading it.

I first handedly experienced how confusing it was trying to find out how to get through this darn toll that doesn't even have a gate or official to keep you from driving through and without the right coins. Also how upset and irritated some locals must be to always have to drive behind a confused tourist....

Thanks for making my day, it was hilarious and good humour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: