Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,464 times

Advertisements

Considering moving to Florida. Granddaughter is considering Full Sail to go to. Of course the college has nothing but all of the "wonderful" highlights and etc. Our money is modest and what I have been reading the traffic and cost of living seems to be the downfall.
Is there any reasonable area that I should be researching where it would be considered reasonably safe. I am a realistic person knowing no place on earth is that safe anymore. This is such a BIG step for us and any input and help from people living in Florida and/or have moved from PA to Florida would be so greatly appreciated. You can also e-mail me with your replies.
Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 11:41 PM

6 posts, read 14,471 times
Hi i just recently moved to Sanford, FL and it seems to be ok. I am from a small town, so moving to a high crime city area like orlando scared me little being a 25 yr old single female, but so far so good. I am living in this gated apartment for about 8 months and it is located on airport blvd. The rent is little bit much, but its a price i am willing to pay for safety. There several apartments to choose from in the area. I am not sure of the distance from sanford to full sail college, but i believe it is less than 30 min. There is a good community college in Sanford if she is not commited fully to full sail (Sanford Community College).

As for the full sail college and the surrounding area, I am not to familiar with it. i drove past there in search for an apartment, but I changed my mind about living in a college area. I lived in a dorm for 4 yrs and that was enough. But I defintely recommend living near your school, while in college. Sometimes situations arise that you cant control like car trouble, Or if you forget your books, disks, or papers, etc.

Whatever you decide just dont wait until the last minute like i did. My rent is high because I needed a place asap and i didnt have the time to look for a cheaper one.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:28 AM

127 posts, read 405,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaLB View Post
Considering moving to Florida. Granddaughter is considering Full Sail to go to. Of course the college has nothing but all of the "wonderful" highlights and etc. Our money is modest and what I have been reading the traffic and cost of living seems to be the downfall.
Is there any reasonable area that I should be researching where it would be considered reasonably safe. I am a realistic person knowing no place on earth is that safe anymore. This is such a BIG step for us and any input and help from people living in Florida and/or have moved from PA to Florida would be so greatly appreciated. You can also e-mail me with your replies.
Thank you so much.
I am very partial to the Lake Mary/Heathrow area. It is fairly upscale with good amount of shopping/restaurants available and not too far from downtown. Although if you have to commute during rush hour you would have to deal with traffic, but outside of rush hour traffic is not too bad.

Of course Winter Park (where Full Sail is located) is a very nice town, but a bit pricey. If possible you should probably try to get into Winter Park or Colonialtown (neighborhood in Orlando north of downtown), both would be conveniently located for you and are pretty nice areas. Otherwise Maitland & Altamonte Springs, which are just north of Winter Park are decent areas as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando