Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:18 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
The problem is you dont offer a balanced view point. Everything is exagerated. If we all listened to what certain people have posted in the past, no-one would leave their front door for fear of being murdered and it is this nonsense which is ridiculous.

I do not see what being a realtor has to do with anything. My post merely said to ask a professional or people who live here who are prepared to offer a balanced view. As i have said numerous times we wont all like the same things but you need to get balanced info to form your opinions not overly eagerated nonsense. It strikes me that the people who complain all the time perhaps didnt do their own homework in the first place and that is why the area isnt a good fit for them.
From my experience there is no "balanced view point." Most people either:
A) Love Orlando
B) Hate Orlando

How can you have a balanced view point? If you like a place you list the reasons why. If you hate a place you list the reasons why. Since the past 6-7 years it has been going downhill for me and alot of others I know. And for anyone basing there decision to move to Orlando from this forum shouldn't be moving in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 07:25 PM

104 posts, read 417,607 times
The point was that realtors may be painting an unrealistic, rosy picture of the area, and avoiding the negatives, because realtors have a vested interest in the area in which they live. Most realtors are not going to say, nor do they want their prospective buyers hearing "Orlando sucks", nor do they want their prospective sellers saying such things. Moderator cut: comment." Of course, not all realtors fit this description, but many do fall into the same category as "unscrupulous used car salesman." That is the bottom line...realtors don't want potential buyers to know that there is a large foreign population, which may be objectionable to some buyers, the fact that the local pay scale is low, property taxes are too high, and that many homes in Orlando are still way overpriced due to the dirty dealings of builders, subprime lenders, and buyers that never should have been approved for mortgages..... That might jeopardize the $300K sale on a home built on reclaimed swampland that has been proven to be sinking back into the swamp it came from, and is really only worth about $150K (think Avalon Park for sinking swampland). Either way, realtors do have a vested interest in potential buyers not knowing the downsides of the area...only makes logical sense...

Last edited by Keeper; 05-26-2008 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: this isn't about realtors..

Old 05-26-2008, 07:27 PM

986 posts, read 3,550,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
A) Love Orlando
B) Hate Orlando

How can you have a balanced view point? If you like a place you list the reasons why. If you hate a place you list the reasons why. Since the past 6-7 years it has been going downhill for me and alot of others I know. And for anyone basing there decision to move to Orlando from this forum shouldn't be moving in the first place.
You are right, but by offering a balanced view you offer and post links to back up what your saying. Certain people give the impression that crime is on everybodies front door which is incorrect. Give your evidence, post the articles which show everyone in Orlando is in grave danger.

When people talk about bugs and heat to be honest i laugh because you cant seriously expect people to believe that people move here without a) coming here first or b) using their common sense and researching or knowing what the weather is like here. Im pretty sure people in other parts of the country dont live in their own little world and only know what the weather is like in their own county.

The point i am making is there is good and bad everywhere, but on these threads it is overly exagerated with no substantive evidence for it. Using a quote from one of my favourite films with theoretical physics you can prove an Elephant can hang of the edge of a cliff with its tail attached to a daisy, but if you use your eyes and ears you will know this is nonsense.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:30 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
A) Love Orlando
B) Hate Orlando

For the first time ever, I 100% agree.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Mich View Post
The point was that realtors may be painting an unrealistic, rosy picture of the area, and avoiding the negatives, because realtors have a vested interest in the area in which they live. Most realtors are not going to say, nor do they want their prospective buyers hearing "Orlando sucks", nor do they want their prospective sellers saying such things. Moderator cut: commentOf course, not all realtors fit this description, but many do fall into the same category as "unscrupulous used car salesman." That is the bottom line...realtors don't want potential buyers to know that there is a large foreign population, which may be objectionable to some buyers, the fact that the local pay scale is low, property taxes are too high, and that many homes in Orlando are still way overpriced due to the dirty dealings of builders, subprime lenders, and buyers that never should have been approved for mortgages..... That might jeopardize the $300K sale on a home built on reclaimed swampland that has been proven to be sinking back into the swamp it came from, and is really only worth about $150K (think Avalon Park for sinking swampland). Either way, realtors do have a vested interest in potential buyers not knowing the downsides of the area...only makes logical sense...
In terms of this i have to say that i couldnt in all good conscience let a buyer buy a property in an area which wouldnt be a good fit for them. Am i allowed as a realtor to direct a potential buyer into certain areas because of their ethnicity. NO. It is illegal for me to do this and if buyers ask me i have to say i couldnt comment on this, however i can direct them to certain sources where they can get the information they need. Were i to do this, it would be considered steering and is strictly prohibited.

Im sure many realtors are bad and i am fully aware that it is these unscrupulous ones which give the rest of us a bad name, but that doesnt detract from the fact that alot of the negatives are over exagerated. I have never said Orlando is Perfect. What i have said on numerous occassions is that there is good and bad everywhere and Orlando is no exception from that. However, if people intend on posting negatives, at least back up what your saying with evidence. People dont listen to he said she said nonsense beause that is just what it is, nonsense. Post an article link. Just because a murder occurs in East Orlando, does that mean the whole of Orlando should be black listed. Of course not, but sadly that is the agenda of some people on here.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-26-2008 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: edit quote

Old 05-26-2008, 07:35 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
You are right, but by offering a balanced view you offer and post links to back up what your saying. Certain people give the impression that crime is on everybodies front door which is incorrect. Give your evidence, post the articles which show everyone in Orlando is in grave danger.

When people talk about bugs and heat to be honest i laugh because you cant seriously expect people to believe that people move here without a) coming here first or b) using their common sense and researching or knowing what the weather is like here. Im pretty sure people in other parts of the country dont live in their own little world and only know what the weather is like in their own county.

The point i am making is there is good and bad everywhere, but on these threads it is overly exagerated with no substantive evidence for it. Using a quote from one of my favourite films with theoretical physics you can prove an Elephant can hang of the edge of a cliff with its tail attached to a daisy, but if you use your eyes and ears you will know this is nonsense.
Most people will only use their own experiences to let others know about a place. This isn't a college course and nobody has the time to look up links and whatnot for a forum. Most people here post only a handful of times then leave, we're not trying to impress anybody, only call it like we see it. I'm not saying all of Orlando is bad, but the economic structure and pay wages were the most deterring factors for me. And I did extremely well over there.

Kudos to those who like it there.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:36 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
I think Orlando is a great place to live. It like all citeis has parts of town to avoid, yea so next...
There is so much to do here which is surprising for a town as small as it is. If not here it will be close Tampa or Miami. The weather is nice and the people are mostly good. I guess like any place its what you bring to the table and make it.

If something is so bad maybe it is an inward issue not an outward one.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:37 PM

127 posts, read 407,780 times
Quote:
A) Love Orlando
B) Hate Orlando

Well the difference is that there are people who are rational and irrational. I happen to like Orlando, but can admit it's not perfect, and explain my viewpoints, and you as someone who doesn't like Orlando can do the same (it would seem so far). Certain other people are just cartoonishly negative without explaining anything and can't say or acknowledge even the slightest positive thing about Orlando. That's the real problem. However I do agree with you, that you should visit a city and make up your own mind and not rely on these comments, however people are influenced by forums like these unfortunately.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:55 PM

5 posts, read 10,544 times
noodles, me and you man,, you regret leaving florida and you hate texas.. truth will set you free

Old 05-26-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Most people will only use their own experiences to let others know about a place. This isn't a college course and nobody has the time to look up links and whatnot for a forum. Most people here post only a handful of times then leave, we're not trying to impress anybody, only call it like we see it. I'm not saying all of Orlando is bad, but the economic structure and pay wages were the most deterring factors for me. And I did extremely well over there.

Kudos to those who like it there.
Not sure where you get the idea that most people on here only post a handful of times. Looking at the majority of the threads it is the same people who post the same extreme over exagerated posts.

There are a great many people who do post balanced views, who share their positive and what they find to be negative experiences, so i dont know how it can be said that you cant give both views unless you have an agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando