U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:46 AM

287 posts, read 1,409,371 times

Advertisements

I have been looking to relocate to FL from NY and Polk seems to be reasonable for what you can get for 225k compared to other areas. I appreciate feedback but if you just want to complain, go elsewhere. I have a family and looking for good schools. Davenport or Kissimmi come to mind.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 02:26 PM

442 posts, read 2,811,081 times
Well, you need to re evaluate your meaning of "good schools" they are few and far between down here..
Depending on what you want , busy night life , or calmer area// Kissimmee is busy lots of traffic, and a larger Hispanic Population,
Davenport is sort of laid back not a happening area, but nice homes are affordable ...and there is a large European Population Mainly Brits who come for 6 months....and then go back
there are alot of Vacation homes in Davenport,
Kissimmee there are TONS of homes for sale, and at a decent price, close to disney , and some good outlet shopping...
it really just depends on what kind of place you like

Old 01-06-2007, 05:36 PM

287 posts, read 1,409,371 times
I like the sounds of Davenport better.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:09 PM

47 posts, read 283,249 times
NE Polk County (Davenport, Haines City, etc) is experiencing a lot of growth with a lot more coming. It is very close to the attractions area and has decent access to both Orlando and Tampa. There isn't much right in the area as far as restuarants and night life, but there are an awful lot of golf courses.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:27 PM

28 posts, read 175,045 times
I lived in Polk County for 10 yrs.I would recommend Winter Haven.Schools are good city is clean.Lots of lakes and its close to all the parks.New homes with a decent sized lot are more of a value than places closer to Orlando.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 11,988 times
I myself is thinking about moving to kissimmee around poincianna area can anyone plz tell me more about the areas as far as schools,crime,jobs,mall ect.........

thanks

Old 01-09-2007, 04:06 PM

i live in Poinciana,
and although its a very pretty area, its growing rapidily, the traffic is not great , and there has been alot of talk about GANGS, now before some one from Poinciana jumps down my throat about about the GANGS, Go read the lakelandledger..
Now that being said ,the cops are out in force here , we even have a citizen patrol with a police cruiser ( no weapons) they just drive around looking for "Criminal element".which is GREAT...( and of course they call the police if found)
there is a big "melting pot" of culture here
we have several nice parks, we have some decent shopping , but nothing to write home about ...
the one thing about poincian , is that no one expected it to boom as fast and as quickly as it did, so there fore there is not a real good infrastructure.
but in time im sure it will come.
Ok if you have school aged children, the schools are'nt the best, but im sure that will change also, they are currently building a new High school and two new Elementry schools.
the town ( city Center) of Kissimme is about 20 minutes, away..
come and check for your self, but mind you , don't come at 5 pm to 6pm thats when the traffic is at its worst!

Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 PM

9 posts, read 28,333 times
Hello

This is my first posting so please be kind as nervous

I live in the Davenport are and whilst the area is very nice some of the schools are not so nice.

Haines City High should be avoided if possible although there is talk of new schools being built due to the expansion in our area

Celebration high is a good school but to attend you have to live in Osceola county

Old 01-11-2007, 05:49 AM

there already is a new High School in the Davenport area , its called Ridge, and it took some of the haines city kids due to over crowding

Old 01-12-2007, 01:58 AM

155 posts, read 251,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settlepa View Post
I have been looking to relocate to FL from NY and Polk seems to be reasonable for what you can get for 225k compared to other areas. I appreciate feedback but if you just want to complain, go elsewhere. I have a family and looking for good schools. Davenport or Kissimmi come to mind.
Kisimmee is basically part of Mexico now. Davenport has a large British population, they are WONDERFUL PEOPLE to deal with, very polite and professional. Davneport has also a lot of retierees, so BE PATIENT in traffic, they are slow and believe it will be peaceful and quiet at night. Big chnage from NY!

Polk county is nice, however, you need to understand, public schools in Florida are terrible, so bad I have to pay $335/mo for each of my kids to go to private school. But again, if you live in NYC and your kids attened public schools, then Polk schools will be easy, they won't have to worry about too many bullies or crack dealers at school (compared to NYC).

One thing to watch for is TORNADOES. They have them a lot in Polk, Osceola and north towards Sumter and Flager counties.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando