Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2023, 08:16 AM

4 posts, read 6,747 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

My family and I will be relocating to the Orlando area for work next summer. We have two young kids, 7 and 10, and are looking in several areas, including Winter Park. Two of our main priorities in finding a new home include quality schools and a safe neighborhood. In researching online about Winter Park public schools, the numbers seem to be sort of all over the place, as far as math and reading proficiency. Also, it sounds like a lot of people utilize the charter schools in that area. Does anyone on here have direct experience and/or knowledge about the public schools and charter schools in Winter Park? Also, it seems like a convenient area to live in; close to downtown, relatively close to the airport, plenty of grocery options and shopping, open space parks, etc. For those of you with young kids, would you say that Winter Park is a safe place for them to roam? Would you say it is a convenient place to live? What about the schools, public and charter?

Thank you!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 08:48 AM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
Winter Park is a convenient place to live. You will pay a premium for housing there. If you are looking for quality public schools stick to the 417 corridor, Oviedo, Haggarty districts in Seminole and Timber Creek, Lake Nona districts in Orange. These are all big suburban schools that rank really well on test scores. The best rated charter schools in the area are Orlando Science Charter (west Orange), Cornerstone Charter (south Orange) and Crooms Academy (Seminole).

Old 08-23-2023, 09:05 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac4 View Post
Good morning,

My family and I will be relocating to the Orlando area for work next summer. We have two young kids, 7 and 10, and are looking in several areas, including Winter Park. Two of our main priorities in finding a new home include quality schools and a safe neighborhood. In researching online about Winter Park public schools, the numbers seem to be sort of all over the place, as far as math and reading proficiency. Also, it sounds like a lot of people utilize the charter schools in that area. Does anyone on here have direct experience and/or knowledge about the public schools and charter schools in Winter Park? Also, it seems like a convenient area to live in; close to downtown, relatively close to the airport, plenty of grocery options and shopping, open space parks, etc. For those of you with young kids, would you say that Winter Park is a safe place for them to roam? Would you say it is a convenient place to live? What about the schools, public and charter?

Thank you!!
There are no "Winter Park Schools." There is only Orange County Public Schools. There are only county school districts here.

That said, we live right on the border of Orlando and Winter Park. My kid went to Audubon Park School until 5th grade. It's a good school but she really wanted to go to a local magnet for middle school so that's what happened. It's honestly kind of a pain because she used to ride her bike to APS. Now one of us has to drive her most of the time. Anyway, roughly half the kids at APS are from Winter Park and the other half from adjacent areas of Orlando.

All kids in Winter Park are going to be zoned for either Brookshire, Dommerich, Lakemont, or Audubon Park depending on exactly where you live. They're all good schools. APS is K-8 but from the other schools the kids will either go to Maitland Middle or Glenridge Middle. Winter Park High draws from all of those schools. The only exception is in the few residential areas of Winter Park that are west of Orlando Ave. Those kids are zoned for Edgewater High.

To me the best part about those elementary and middle schools is that they're good and also that close to half the students at all of them walk to school so, yes, it's generally a safe place and most parents also seem to think so. It's not uncommon in Baldwin Park, Winter Park, Audubon Park, College Park to see groups of pre-teens out and about although I'd say that it seems like kids spend more time at each others houses than they do roaming the streets and parks like when I was a kid but yeah, if they live near each other they generally go on their own.

We're originally from the Philadelphia area but moved here from the Bay Area (California) 5 years ago. Sometimes we miss the big city amenities but outside of that it's easily the most convenient place we've ever lived. Nothing we need is more than 15 minutes away. Even Universal is only 20 minutes away. All the grocery stores. All the shopping is right here. The restaurant scene is good and growing by leaps and bounds. The schools are good and it's not really possible to live more than 2 miles from one.

If you're planning on public schools the whole way through I would start with Winter Park High and work your way back from there to see where the kids would be going to school throughout keeping in mind that you may find more house for your money in adjacent areas of Maitland and Orlando while still going to the same schools.
https://www.ocps.net/departments/stu...ance_zone_maps

Old 08-23-2023, 07:01 PM

210 posts, read 270,702 times
Winter Park resident for 10+ years, the above post has a lot of accurate and good information. He forgot Baldwin Park Elementary which is what Baldwin Park and some surrounding neighborhoods are zoned for.

Winter park HS is continuously "A" rated by the florida department of education. They have an IB program and offer AP and honors classes. The 9th grade has their own campus which helps ease the kids in to a larger campus high school environment. Their athletic teams are highly competitive and the school is VERY well funded since 32789 is one of the two most affluent zip codes in Orlando.

I love winter park and wouldn't live anywhere else. And I've lived all over Florida. Not sure where you are moving from but WP was developed by Northeastern families over 100 years ago to be their winter getaway (their Winter Park) and the Main Street, Park Ave. feels like a much less fancy Greenwich, Ct.

I have 3 kids and they've all been raised here, feel free to send me any questions.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:37 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac4 View Post
Good morning,

Thank you!!
Winter Park has good public schools and is a great city to live in. Enjoy!

Old 08-24-2023, 07:26 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterParkLocal View Post
Winter Park resident for 10+ years, the above post has a lot of accurate and good information. He forgot Baldwin Park Elementary which is what Baldwin Park and some surrounding neighborhoods are zoned for.

Winter park HS is continuously "A" rated by the florida department of education. They have an IB program and offer AP and honors classes. The 9th grade has their own campus which helps ease the kids in to a larger campus high school environment. Their athletic teams are highly competitive and the school is VERY well funded since 32789 is one of the two most affluent zip codes in Orlando.

I love winter park and wouldn't live anywhere else. And I've lived all over Florida. Not sure where you are moving from but WP was developed by Northeastern families over 100 years ago to be their winter getaway (their Winter Park) and the Main Street, Park Ave. feels like a much less fancy Greenwich, Ct.

I have 3 kids and they've all been raised here, feel free to send me any questions.

I only left out Baldwin Park because the only way you'd live in Winter Park and be zoned for BPS is if you lived right on Glenridge. It's definitely possible - just unlikely.

There's also a small chance you could wind up at Hungerford or Killarney.

I should also point out, for the OPs sake, that because it's a county school district, in theory you can send your kid to any school in the district but generally there needs to be space available. There are also a bunch of magnet schools that are lottery based.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:39 AM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterParkLocal View Post

This is the correct answer. If I didn't live on a lake, I would probably move to Winter Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando