Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,260,878 times

Advertisements

Gee, this sounds just like living in the Charlotte, NC area!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesler View Post
To everyone applying for jobs, you need to ask yourself what makes you stand out from all the other applicants. If you don't have the skills or education to make yourself stand out from everyone else, of course you're going to have a hard time finding a job that pays more than $15 an hour. There are thousands of people in Orlando that are just as qualified for the same basic position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,260,878 times
Years ago (I'm 59), a person could get a job at a Vet (animal) Hospital as a Vet Assistant with just some prior experience. A person could work as an Accountant with just experience. A person could work on an Ambulance with just some First Aid courses taken. A person could work in a warehouse and drive a forklift with just some prior experience. A person could get a job in Purchasing, Production Control, Inventory Control with just having some experience.
NOT ANYMORE!!!
Vet Hospital requires a Vet Assistant to be Certified.
Good paying Accounting jobs require a Bachelors Degree.
Person has to be a Certified EMT (or Paramedic) to drive/attend an Ambulance now.
Warehouse: Certification on a forklift required.
Jobs in Purchasing, Production Control, Inventory now a lot of times requires an APICS (or other) certification.
Yes, we now live in the day of "Certifications and Degrees"......like it or not! And, if you do get lucky enough to get a job without these two, it won't pay nearly as good.
WOW, has the job market changed!

Old 06-18-2008, 10:12 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,760,246 times
So true, Loveboating. The job market gets tougher and tougher each day. There is really no such thing as "entry-level" jobs anymore. Companies do not want to train new employees anymore. Even $10/hour jobs require "1-2 years exprience" or some form of degree.

What I really hate now is that most job openings require you to give them your "salary requirements" when sending a resume and won't even consider you if you don't. So you have to play a game and guess what you think the position will pay. If your salary reqirements are too high, you'll never get a call. If they are too low, you'll be low-balled into a salary lower than your counterparts. Whatever happened to companies posting what the position pays so I can decide whether it's worth my time applying or not? Everything has become such a game in the corporate world, I can't stand it.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:12 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,502,207 times
The job market has become very tough in Central Florida in general, their is definitely a lack of decent paying jobs for many professional fields and blue collar labor is severely underpaid. I have lived in Orlando many years and enjoy living here because I am close to my parents and my 2yr daughter loves spending time with them, but I am going to have to move within the next 6 months to search for better job opportunities in a city with a more diverse economy. Although Central Florida has some niche professional jobs that pay well, the majority of the economy is sustained by tourism, which creates an abundance of low paying blue collar jobs and minimal well-paying professional opportunities. I will most likely be moving to Atlanta soon as it is not far from Florida (so I can visit my parents more frequently) and has a much stronger economy and larger pool of good-paying professional jobs. Both my wife and I have college degrees ( I have a B.A. and an MBA and she has a B.S.I.T) and we cant seem to get past the low 30's salaries. We have come to realization that it will be very hard for us to build our future in a city that has such a lack of well-paying corporate jobs. Many of my friends that moved to other cities throughout the country after graduation are living comfortably and have a bright futures. Central Florida has many beautiful features and attractions, but i would not recommend it for young families trying to make a future, the struggle you have to go through here is not worth it!

Old 06-20-2008, 07:52 PM

765 posts, read 2,628,500 times
More and more jobs in the Orlando area are now requiring Spanish, especially office type jobs like Human Resources and jobs in the Legal Field. This is not unique to Orlando. I am seeing this requirement in other area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando