Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 08:10 AM

523 posts, read 2,830,007 times

Advertisements

I have found that people in florida stay to theirselves. Our neighbors say hi, but that's abou it. Florida people are not as friendly as where I am from.
You will make friends thru your job, etc. I came here when I was 18 with a roomate, Met my husband a lifeguard at beach. that was 40 yrs ago.

haha
Never regretted moving south
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 07:28 AM

442 posts, read 2,912,865 times
I agree, people do tend to keep to them selfs here which is unfortuante...I think however it depends on where you live .

Old 12-17-2007, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,874 times
Default Lakeland

I work in Lakeland and it's a pretty nice town.

Aside from the downtown, it is pretty spread out like most parts of florida and not very special.

Downtown however is like a little self contained city and very pretty. There's a nice central park, many shops and restaurants, and a few bars. There's alot of business downtown and a few apartment buildings and some newer condos that have been built right downtown. On the week days downtown has quite a bit of pedestrian traffic with people working, going to lunch, shopping. Downtown Lakeland is the best part of lakeland if you enjoy being able to walk places. The rest of housing in this town is spread out along highways and other roads, pretty typical fla development. I actually live in tampa and commute to lakeland for work. The reason is b/c i am younger, 26 and really enjoy the things a bigger city has to offer. but if i had to move anywhere in polk county, it would be downtown lakeland.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,819 times
Hi everybody,
I live in Lakeland and looking for Russian food store here or closest area

Thank,
Irena

Old 02-11-2008, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,615 times
Lightbulb Hi FitCA...

Glad to read your post.
I am also a health conscious/ athletic female, looking to meet new friends when I relo to Lakeland for work (pharm sales) in early May.
I am moving to Lakeland from Raleigh, NC, where there are tons of professionals our age. As you can imagine, I have concerns about "fitting in"...as I am very outgoing, like you.

I have a good friend in Plant City...She will be helpful to you insofar as the newlywed lifestyle...She will most likely recommend spending time in Tampa.
...While I can't help you find stuff for newlyweds to do, I will definitely make a good workout partner.

You should post again when you "land" as a fitness instructor...When I was in Lakeland, I noticed that there is a Gold's near the mall. I am certainly hoping that there are some cute guys there.
Stephanie

Old 02-12-2008, 06:57 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I just found this thread, as I usually am in the Tampa and "Florida" forums.

I am a Florida native, born in Tampa who discovered Lakeland last year and FELL IN LOVE with this beautiful place! Within 4 months we had bought another home here and moved in, and it's the happiest hubby and I have ever been!

All of the central core of Lakeland (what I call the downtown) consists of several preserved historic districts with neat old homes and huge old shade trees. Unlike most of Florida, we have some slopes and rolling land here. Downtown Lakeland has three main lakes, all gorgeous and each with it's own personality. Downtown proper has Lake Mirror, with a restored classical style "promenade" all around. There is an amphitheater for outdoor concerts (free, almost every month) and a one acre botanical classical gardens. There is also a children's park here, and a couple of nice buildings on site where there is a small garden bistro and the community players theater.

Lake Morton is just south of it, and is a bird sanctuary - you will find many swans here (the symbol for Lakeland) and this time of year HUNDREDS of other birds. I just love it!

The third is a few blocks south, and is considered the crown jewel - Lake Hollingsworth. This beautiful lake has a fitness trail all around, and you will see people of all ages, day and night, skating, walking, jogging, biking and just having a good time here - it does our hearts good to see this! Also, Florida Southern College, which was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, is on this lake - it's beautiful.

People who have not been to Lakeland are surprised to come here and see how NICE it really is, and I get PMs from people who have read my posts,but don't post here all the time, who came here like I did, fell in love, and want to move. And cost of living here is CHEAP compared to most of Florida - a true bang for the buck. There is so much for people to do here, although if one needs a lot of clubs and night life, there isn't too much here, but it is and EASY drive to Ybor City, or downtown Tampa, or the other way into Orlando.

If you have any other questions about Lakeland, please feel free to PM me - I am happy to share excitement about my beautiful new home town!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoFLGirl View Post
Glad to read your post.
I am also a health conscious/ athletic female, looking to meet new friends when I relo to Lakeland for work (pharm sales) in early May.
I am moving to Lakeland from Raleigh, NC, where there are tons of professionals our age. As you can imagine, I have concerns about "fitting in"...as I am very outgoing, like you.

I have a good friend in Plant City...She will be helpful to you insofar as the newlywed lifestyle...She will most likely recommend spending time in Tampa.
...While I can't help you find stuff for newlyweds to do, I will definitely make a good workout partner.

You should post again when you "land" as a fitness instructor...When I was in Lakeland, I noticed that there is a Gold's near the mall. I am certainly hoping that there are some cute guys there.
Stephanie
There are two large "Gold's Gym's" here, and a new fitness center just opened near us. Fitness is BIG in this town, you wil love it. People of all ages are very outdoorsy, and Lakeland has numerous parks and a very nice recreation center that they are expanding. We also have a gorgeous vintage 1920's golf course which is city-run and open to the public, and fabulous public tennis courts which are free, and just a minimal cost for lights at night. To top it off, this town has bike paths, sidewalks and cross walks. Best fitness and recreation opportunities I have seen ANYWHERE in Florida, and I am a native.

Lastly, to anyone concerned about "fitting in", Lakeland has the FRIENDLIEST residents I have seen anywhere, and I'm not just talking Florida. That's because people who live here are actually HAPPY, and when you come here you will see why.

Enjoy!

Old 02-13-2008, 10:59 AM

7 posts, read 21,699 times
Question Considering Relocating to Lakeland area

I just have some questions....I have lived in TN my whole life, so bare with me. I REALLY just want OUT of MEMPHIS....I do not want to raise my children here. Although I have never been to Lakeland, FL Ideally I want to move to FL, and so do my parents. If I can't move that far away then I may have to consider Nashville. I know some people who live in Lakeland, also transplants from my area and they LOVE it there. I can't move for a year and a half due to school. But here are some questions:

My husband and I are both in our late 20's, and we have two girls, who at that time the oldest will be in kindergarten and the other in preschool. Are the schools good?
How are the neighborhoods? Unfortunately, the area of Mphs. we're in there are no children for our girls to play with and the area really isn't that safe for them anyways. We really are looking for a community we can become involved in and meet new people.
Does anyone know if there is a good job market there for Court Reporters, (This is what I'm in school for) and also does anyone know the state requirements there for court reporter certification? We do not have any requirements besides school in TN.
Does anyone know anything about pipefitting unions in the area? Is there a lot of work in Fl for this field, or do they travel a lot. I have heard there's not a lot to do in this field in Fl.
Is the homeowners insurance insane there?
Also, I have heard about Winter Haven, is that another place I should check into?

Sorry so much. Just trying to figure things out so I can make a decision on Lakeland area or Nashville and start planning for the ONE. All I know is I don't want my children growing up here.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNMom2girls View Post
I just have some questions....I have lived in TN my whole life, so bare with me. I REALLY just want OUT of MEMPHIS....I do not want to raise my children here. Although I have never been to Lakeland, FL Ideally I want to move to FL, and so do my parents. If I can't move that far away then I may have to consider Nashville. I know some people who live in Lakeland, also transplants from my area and they LOVE it there. I can't move for a year and a half due to school. But here are some questions:

My husband and I are both in our late 20's, and we have two girls, who at that time the oldest will be in kindergarten and the other in preschool. Are the schools good?
How are the neighborhoods? Unfortunately, the area of Mphs. we're in there are no children for our girls to play with and the area really isn't that safe for them anyways. We really are looking for a community we can become involved in and meet new people.
Does anyone know if there is a good job market there for Court Reporters, (This is what I'm in school for) and also does anyone know the state requirements there for court reporter certification? We do not have any requirements besides school in TN.
Does anyone know anything about pipefitting unions in the area? Is there a lot of work in Fl for this field, or do they travel a lot. I have heard there's not a lot to do in this field in Fl.
Is the homeowners insurance insane there?
Also, I have heard about Winter Haven, is that another place I should check into?

Sorry so much. Just trying to figure things out so I can make a decision on Lakeland area or Nashville and start planning for the ONE. All I know is I don't want my children growing up here.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
There aren't a lot of people on these forums who live in or are familiar with Lakeland, so I try to answer when people have questions. Unfortunately I can't answer most of your specific questions, but you can try these websites to do some research:

Welcome to the City of Lakeland!

Lakeland Chamber of Commerce > Home

Y Lakeland, FL

Winter Haven is another beautiful town, about 15 miles from Lakeland, and it looks like a smaller Lakeland. I think with a family you would like Lakeland better, more choices, more schools, and more family oriented neighborhoods and activities. This is really a beautiful place to live.

Good luck!

Old 02-13-2008, 12:08 PM

34 posts, read 81,878 times
Hi Gypsychic,
Like you, I'm a Florida native. Born and raised in Miami. And, although most people won't believe it, Miami was a true utopia throughout the '50's, 60's and 70's. The Miami I knew and loved is long gone and will never return. I'm not against change, but in the case of Miami all of the change was bad ....... very bad. Anyway, my wife and I bailed out 8 years ago and moved to the mountains of Western N.C. A wonderful, totally different world of no traffic, very few nasty people and very low crime rate. However, due to medical reasons we are faced with the necessity to relocate back to a warmer climate. We are both retired and in our early 60's. Love fishing and tennis. Even with your "out of sight" property taxes Florida is the only state we are looking at. So ..... my questions are ..... since you apparently have participated on this site for quite some time ...... 1. It sounds like Lakeland is a great place for young families. Would you also recommend the Lakeland and Winter Haven areas for retirees. I should also state we are not into "gated" community type living and finances are not an issue. 2. Can you think of any other towns/areas we may want to consider that offers a good quality of life and relatively safe from crime?
Thanks,
Larry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando