Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 12:39 PM

19 posts, read 85,590 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Orlando. We do not have kids and would like friendly neighbors and some walkability. We are not interested in bedroom communities with no trees. Any of you live in the above areas and have advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 03:26 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,670,916 times
My very close friend lives in College Park and loves it. The area around Dubsdread (golf course and restaurant--public links) is absolutely beautiful. Treed and breezy. Personally I would stay away from all areas of ColonialTown. Delaney Park is another older area filled with trees; however, is south of downtown Orlando but close to one of the two largest hospital systems in Orlando. College Park has some great speciality shops, all types of restaurants from chain to fine cuisine dining and walkable. Of course, the best decision can be made by visiting.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:50 AM

9 posts, read 33,491 times
The Park Lake area is very nice around Lake Highland Prep because it is East of I-4, College Park boarders the ghetto and that has consequences. Colonialtown is in a better location than College Park as well because you are 5 minutes from downtown, winter park, and Baldwin Park. I prefer being North of the 408 East of Bumby and South of Fairbanks and West of I-4. You can't go wrong anywhere in those parameters. Orlando is crime ridden but your pretty shielded in those areas.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:46 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,117,597 times
I like the look and feel of College Park a lot, perhaps the most, but like other people have said crime is a concern. I would say it is more burglary and petty crime than violent crime, but it is there.
Colonialtown and Thornton Park are very nice but amongst some highly trafficked areas which has its pros (amenities) and cons (crime and traffic).
I would say the quietest are the Lake Como and Delaney Park locations and they still carry a lot of the benefits. You may also like some parts of Belle Isle too based on your description but it is less walkable and is mainly residential.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 7,717 times
Default College Park Home Rentals

My daughter will be moving to Orlando to attend the masters program at UCF which is housed in the rep theatre downtown. She has pretty much decided on the College Park area and we would love to find a home for rent. Does anyone have any suggestion or where to begin looking? We will be there next month and would like to have some things already lined up to look at. She will be moving mid August so time is getting short!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:07 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,670,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances Mayo View Post
My daughter will be moving to Orlando to attend the masters program at UCF which is housed in the rep theatre downtown. She has pretty much decided on the College Park area and we would love to find a home for rent. Does anyone have any suggestion or where to begin looking? We will be there next month and would like to have some things already lined up to look at. She will be moving mid August so time is getting short!

We drove through some of the older sections of College Park last night and passed several 'for rent' signs. Sorry I cannot give you street names but I can tell you the houses were just north of Princeton Elementary on Princeton Street. There are also houses for rent off Par south of Dubsdread Golf Course. I am confident you will find something you/daughter will appreciate. Just had lunch at Harmoni's Market today. Great place! On the corner of Edgewater Drive and Smith Street.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:35 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,289,527 times
Craigslist has a ton of listing for downtown homes for rent. Also look at Colonialtown Realty, Palm Properties, WMGI realty and All American Property Management. Your best bet is to shop around. For some reason although there is a general range for rents, some homes which are very similar will differ by $200 or more depending on the owner or rental company. There are some good deals to be had, happy hunting.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:49 AM

5 posts, read 22,926 times
College Park is overpriced but worth it, really nice. My daughter lives there, also our best friends, and we are there often. It's friendly, like its own little town. It's one of the oldest sections of Orlando. Great family place but also good for people who don't have children, from singles to young couples to empty nesters.

I grew up in the Delaney Park area (I was on Lake Davis), it's also very nice. You won't go wrong with either of these. Both have parks and places to walk. College Park has more to do because of the little downtown.

The Lake Como area has changed a lot, ditto Colonialtown area, which has changed drastically since I lived in Orlando, and I don't know that much about either of them now. Don't know anyone there, and don't go there, but I don't think they can touch the other two areas.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando