U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 25,205 times

Advertisements

My wife an I are relocating from Buffalo, NY to Orlando. We are relocating because I am getting a job transfer. We have a two year old son. My wife has her masters in Elementary Ed.
Would she have trouble finding employment for teaching in the Orlando area?
Is the housing maket price coming down? or is the price going up.
Where is the best, safest place to live in Orlando?
Where is the "A" schools located?
Any additional info would be helpful.

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 07:33 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,851,304 times
Would she have trouble finding employment for teaching in the Orlando area?
No. I also have my masters in Education. She should do quite well. We also have several fantastic private schools that are AWESOME! How much experience does she have?

Is the housing maket price coming down? or is the price going up.

It really depends on the area. Prices in my neighborhood seem to be on the rise again after falling or staying the same for the past few months. I've noticed other areas have fallen a good bit and I've read that some areas are still on the rise. I posted an article earlier today saying that Orlando prices are predicted to be more stable that prices in South Florida. You should be able to locate it on the 1st or 2nd page if you want to read it.

Where is the best, safest place to live in Orlando? You could probably get many different opinions on that one. I've always lived on the east side of town so that is what I'm most familiar with. Look at the Oviedo, Lake Mary, and/or Heathrow/Lake Brantley for some of the best high schools. These are all in Seminole County. You will find great elementary and middle schools in many areas. In Orange County, I would only look in east Orlando - Waterford Lakes, Avalon Park, Lake Nona, Stoneybrook East, Winter Park and Maitland. These areas have excellent schools.

Any additional info would be helpful.
Ask anything specific that you'd like. I'll answer as best I can.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:13 AM

4 posts, read 7,994 times
Hi - just want to agree with the last post. I'm sure you would have no trouble finding a teaching position as population in central florida continues to rise. A neighbor of mine moved here a year ago and she found a teaching job no problem.

As for the housing market - right now there is still a tremendous amount of inventory on the market with many homes still overpriced. However, the new home builders inventory supply is going down which will then help with resales. (or so the "experts" are predicting). It is definately a buyers market right now. New homes are a great deal - builders are giving all sorts of free options along with help on closing costs. The market is predicted to stabilize with maybe a slight downward price for the first half of the year and then pick up after that.

Hope this helps - I would be glad to answer any other questions you have regarding the area.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:32 AM

26 posts, read 89,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nackerman View Post
As for the housing market - right now there is still a tremendous amount of inventory on the market with many homes still overpriced. However, the new home builders inventory supply is going down which will then help with resales. (or so the "experts" are predicting). It is definately a buyers market right now. New homes are a great deal - builders are giving all sorts of free options along with help on closing costs. The market is predicted to stabilize with maybe a slight downward price for the first half of the year and then pick up after that.
I agree with everything written above, but would add that incentives on new homes are pretty much solely the domain of production homes in suburban subdivisions. New construction/custom homes in established neighborhoods are holding steady and/or appreciating in price.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:37 AM

2,903 posts, read 11,811,226 times
cid311,
Congrats!
We live in Batavia, and are just buying a retirement home in Leesburg.
You will miss the potholes and salty cars, etc.....home insurance in higher, but taxes are about 1/2.....

Frank D.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:27 PM

53 posts, read 263,472 times
I am also relocating to Orlando from TX and I have recently purchased a home in the Avalon Park area which is in East Orange County. It is a very nice community and all the schools are Excellent. The housing market is still steep but not as bad as it was last year. In fact the home I purchased was originally selling for $50,000 more 5 months ago, but due to the amount of inventory, the seller had to adjust the price. Right now it is a buyer market in Orlando.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:47 AM

10 posts, read 34,634 times
Hi cid311,

I am a resident of Lake Mary, Fl. I would highly recommend the Lake Mary area. Seminole county schools are ranked the best in the tri-county area.
Since you are coming from NY you should do ok in the real estate market.What price range or sq ft you were looking for?

Old 01-24-2007, 12:19 PM

56 posts, read 239,686 times
Anywhere you have Bowen family homes you will have a high level of mexican gangs as bowen employes so many migrante workers watch out for ms13,sur,and neta

Last edited by christa17; 01-24-2007 at 12:55 PM..

Old 01-27-2007, 08:34 AM

7 posts, read 76,685 times
hello, my husband and i recently relocated to lake mary, florida....i am an elementary school teacher in seminole county and had no trouble finding a job...my husband works in downtown, orlando and the commute is not as bad as most people say...i think coming from ny, the traffic is definitely something we can deal with...he was commuting on subways, trains and buses in ny, so he can't complain when there are palm trees on the side of the road. : )
check out neighborhoods in seminole county....very safe compared to the orlando area and the schools are "A" rated---but you do need to do your research with this....if i can be of any more help, please let me know!! good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando