Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 12,166 times

Advertisements

Hello all currently im living in arlington va,but thinking to move down to orlando.I do construction so i can be transfered with my company so a job i will have.Im 25 years old so i dotn wanna be with the old people i want a some nightlife and young generation area.Im white so i dont want to be living in a spanish area,i know how it is since we have alot up here in va.Any suggestion,It doesnt need to be in orlando it could be anywhere in florida not too picky.Even rent prices if you can include in your reply would be very help full thanks for now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 05:23 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,482 times
Orlando is a pretty young city with a lot of college age people as well as young families. Orlando in general has a highly Hispanic demographic, but major Hispanic neighborhoods are mainly on the eastside around Azalea Park and Union Park or in the Southern part of the area around Kissimmee and Southchase. I think your concern should be more of a safer area than over the demographic, but that is just me. I do not think you will experience much of a language barrier no matter where you are. The largest white concentrations are in SW Orange county, central Orlando, and the North and NE suburban areas. The best nightlife areas are downtown for a local mix, or at Citiwalk or Pleasure Island for a tourist mix.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:33 PM

Thanks for your reply im european so i dont mind living with any race,i just dont wanna be the only white guy in the area thats all.How is the rent in downtown area.Ive never been to orlando,i love the beach how far is the beach??

Old 06-12-2008, 06:31 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,753 times
The rent downtown is high. Where i live in east Orlando it takes me a 20-30min drive to the beach.

I wouldn't live downtown unless you want homeless people and criminals lurking around your area. Some parts of downtown are a haven for crime.

If you do want to look at downtown stay east of magnolia that area is really nice and not to much of the bad element is there like west of that area..

Areas I would look at would be winter park, Baldwin park, avalon park and waterford lakes.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:53 PM

I agree with Alphaman's suggestions. There are a lot of nice parts of downtown East, NE and SE of downtown. It is expensive because there are some very nice areas adjacent to downtown and it is convenient in an area plagued with traffic.
The east coast beaches are generally about 30-45 minutes if you are downtown or east of there. The west coast beaches are about 90 minutes to 2 hours and are generally prettier than the east coast. I do not think there is any area where you will be the ONLY white person but there is a list of high crime areas that I would advise any newcomer about.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:29 PM

thanks,i heard about all the crimes in orlando,where would you recommend in living in florida??Im just looking for a decent place no fancy stuff nice restaurants,nice nightlife and no worries that im getting robbed thats all not askign too much lol.They say dc is very bad "crime" it aint that bad,is florida worse what they say about dc????

Old 06-12-2008, 08:01 PM

Honestly I do not have a problem here and think that crime is constantly exaggerated. I feel safe here. There are parts of town I do not go to unless I have to (Paramore, Oak Ridge, Pine Hills), areas I try not to go to at night (OBT, Paramore, Metrowest), and most other areas are fine. The thing about Orlando is there are dumpy areas that look worse than they are like Kissimmee and there are areas that look nicer than they are as well (Millenia, Metrowest). Most of the other areas fall somewhere in the middle and are pretty safe for a city and then there are areas where crime is very low like Oviedo, Windermere, Dr Phillips, Lake Mary, etc.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:28 PM

118 posts, read 479,995 times
hey man, im somewhat in the construction industry(electrical) i moved down here from boston and living in kissimmee which is just south of orlando. i would say good luck, dont think u will get the same pay as u would up north. also the construction industry is in the ****ter along with everything else. but orlando is seriously lacking culture and art besides disney. coming from a big city i do miss my little italys, chinatowns, etc etc. also if u are a clubber be prepared to listen to only dirty south rap and reggaeton. but like i tell everyone, florida is a good place to visit but not to live for someone single and young. but i guess its all personal preference. but if u do decide orlando, i would try
hunters creek area $800+ 1 bed 600+ sq ft
celebration area $900+ on studios
i'm actually saving up to get out of here asap.....

Old 06-13-2008, 05:57 AM

Keep in mind this is coming from someone in Kissimmee which is one of the last places I suggest you look into.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:07 AM

9 posts, read 33,588 times
If your concerned with not wanting to be around Spanish speaking persons Orlando should be your last choice. There are plenty of much less congested nicer cities in Florida that are closer to a beach and the coastal climate moderates the extreme heat with ocean breezes. Palm Coast, Tampa, and Jacksonville would be far better choices in my opinion and Suericio is correct Orlando is void of culture. I'd seriously consider staying where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando