Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:16 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

Well, from what we have read in these postings, there are people that have moved to FL from different areas of the U.S. and love living in FL. Then, there are the people who have moved away from FL and back to (whereever) that didn't like FL. "To each their own" is what we say. Crime, as well as traffic is in every major city, and neither problem will get better anytime soon. We basically moved from Parker, CO to Huntersville, NC due to Parker's winter weather (can be lots of snow and darn cold) and the effect (pain) it had on my hip and shoulder surgeries. It was just too much. Now that we have been in NC since last Oct., we just aren't as happy as we thought we would be. And, b/c of my hip and shoulder, we need to live somewhere where this is even less (to no) winter than here.
And, talking about the language "thing" with Orlando, there are tons of people that live in So. Calif. and the Spanish language can be hear there a lot of the time. But, people still love living there.....at least the ones (and there are lots of them) that can afford it.
All we know is: We have to pick an area where we can live and work (yet) and have plenty of water to put a small to medium size Cabin Cruiser on. Retirement years aren't that far away, but we still have some years ahead of us to Party, Party, Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 07:55 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Well, we are still considering a move to the Orlando area later. We will be coming to Orlando in Aug for a Cruise, so we can get some kind of "like/dislike" about Orlando then. When people get older (like us at 60) and the weather (primary cold/snow) can/does affect muscles, bones and past surgeries, it can be fairly hard to pick the most "right" place to live. And, since we are not yet retiring, we have to live somewhere close to jobs.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:19 AM

127 posts, read 407,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, we are still considering a move to the Orlando area later. We will be coming to Orlando in Aug for a Cruise, so we can get some kind of "like/dislike" about Orlando then. When people get older (like us at 60) and the weather (primary cold/snow) can/does affect muscles, bones and past surgeries, it can be fairly hard to pick the most "right" place to live. And, since we are not yet retiring, we have to live somewhere close to jobs.
Good luck and have fun. I'm hoping to ditch Charlotte and be back in Orlando full time pretty soon myself.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:34 PM

156 posts, read 151,834 times
Wow, thats a new one. Come on down, I'd probably swap with ya, I'd love to be around all my old friends and neighbors who used to live down here! I miss all those good people!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer boy View Post
Wow, thats a new one. Come on down, I'd probably swap with ya, I'd love to be around all my old friends and neighbors who used to live down here! I miss all those good people!
Sounds good to me lol.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:59 PM

Dbansal, where are you from if you dont mind me asking? I am trying to get a feel for why you'd like Orlando so much, especially over NC. I think a lot of people that choose to live here, and enjoy it, are usually people from cities like NYC, Newark, Philly, Boston, Chicago, San Juan, and other major cities where things dont bother people as much I guess.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:40 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Actually I think the difference between those cities is that things actually bother people more, so they aren't in denial about major problems they have in Charlotte such as, um, crime and work to solve things instead of getting a gun and turning the rest into a joke. Also, if you had a hidden camera, you might be surprised what you observe from some of those "great people". The main difference between the north and the south is that up north, they will be up front with you and give you the bird or tell you go to go (expletive) yourself if they don't like you. They also talk faster, but once you build friendships, they become life long and true. Down south, it can (of course not always) be more passive aggressive and cliquish, kind of like an extension of high school. I have also observed this in other "nice people" cities like Minneapolis. I actually trust people more in the general craziness of South Florida than I can in those places. I don't really like stereotyping people but if I had to make stereotypes with a ring of truth...

Point being, although in some places people are "nicer" in that "please and thank you" sort of sense, it's more culturally symbolic than a testament of their true feelings. The human mind remains the same. I do believe people act different in different places, but I think that generalizing a whole place as having "rude people" is perceived depending on what their own definition of "rude" is. Making real friends and relationships is more about being around people with similar interests to you than about the city itself, despite cultural differences between whatever part of the country or world the people come from.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-27-2008 at 06:52 PM..

Old 06-27-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Dbansal, where are you from if you dont mind me asking? I am trying to get a feel for why you'd like Orlando so much, especially over NC. I think a lot of people that choose to live here, and enjoy it, are usually people from cities like NYC, Newark, Philly, Boston, Chicago, San Juan, and other major cities where things dont bother people as much I guess.
Well for reasons I'd rather not get into I live about 50% in Charlotte (Ballantyne area) and 50% in Orlando (Lake Mary). I grew up in Boston, and have lived pretty much all over the US. You can read through the forum I've answered the question as to why I like Orlando, like Charlotte less (I don't hate Charlotte, it's ok but nothing great) too lazy to repeat it all lol. Why do you hate Orlando so much, and where would you like to live?

Old 06-28-2008, 07:17 AM

I would like to return to NC, and I would in a second, but I have lots of family here. Some of them would follow me, some of them would like to follow me but may not be able to at the moment, etc... but almost all of them (all FL natives oe have been in FL for many yrs) would like to leave in the future. I would even consider other parts of FL (northern parts) if I could find the place that would make me and my wife happy. But I just dont know how long the rest of the state is going to turn into places like South FL and Orlando.

I miss the friendliness, courtesy, and driving habits of the folks in NC. I miss the seasons, and beautiful rolling hills and views. Can anyone actually convince themsleves that they'd rather look at pavement and billboards over rolling hills and mountains! Gimme a break! I miss the less crime, congestion, and cost of living. I am disappointed with the Orlando area and the disregard for others on the roads, the road rage, the crime, the pay, the sex offenders, the lack of community feel, but by far, its the people that make the place, and I feel like a lot of the people here are only concerned for themselves. A big sense of "ME, ME, ME" here in Orlando.

I am a native Floridian, so I didnt move back to FL with rose-colored glasses, I knew it had problems, I just didnt know how many and to what extent.

I mean, (keeping family out of the comparison because family is most important and makes the comparion biased and hard to compare) why would I choose 9 months of summer over 4 seasons and mild weather? Why would I choose the rude ppl over the (generally) much friendlier folks? Why would I choose the congestion and traffic, and not to mention the road rage I see all the time over a much easier, calmer driving experience up there? Why would I choose to pay the mortgage and property taxes on my Orlando home when I can get the same for far less, and make the same wages in NC? Why would I choose to be around a lot of angry, frustrated, mad-at-the- world types that seem to have filled Orlando over a more relaxed environment, where people seem much happier (many of these folks are Floridians btw)? I miss America, sometimes I feel like I am not even in America anymore in Orlando.

Look, I like FL. I am partial and always will be, I was born in the state. BUT, Orlando has really been disappointing, and I have seen that many parts of FL have changed drastically. And, in my opinion, these changes have not been positive for the most part. My mind is pretty much made up, NC offers more positives than FL. From everyday life, to the cost of living, to the quality of life, and to the people... etc... I am still here because of family, or else I probably would have put the house up for sale (if I could even sell it right now). My wife (also born in FL) would be thrilled to return to NC, all I have to say is the word and she's ready. But it is harder for me. A lot of family here and I'll just have to see if I can get them to follow me.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I would like to return to NC, and I would in a second, but I have lots of family here. Some of them would follow me, some of them would like to follow me but may not be able to at the moment, etc... but almost all of them (all FL natives oe have been in FL for many yrs) would like to leave in the future. I would even consider other parts of FL (northern parts) if I could find the place that would make me and my wife happy. But I just dont know how long the rest of the state is going to turn into places like South FL and Orlando.

I miss the friendliness, courtesy, and driving habits of the folks in NC. I miss the seasons, and beautiful rolling hills and views. Can anyone actually convince themsleves that they'd rather look at pavement and billboards over rolling hills and mountains! Gimme a break! I miss the less crime, congestion, and cost of living. I am disappointed with the Orlando area and the disregard for others on the roads, the road rage, the crime, the pay, the sex offenders, the lack of community feel, but by far, its the people that make the place, and I feel like a lot of the people here are only concerned for themselves. A big sense of "ME, ME, ME" here in Orlando.

I am a native Floridian, so I didnt move back to FL with rose-colored glasses, I knew it had problems, I just didnt know how many and to what extent.

I mean, (keeping family out of the comparison because family is most important and makes the comparion biased and hard to compare) why would I choose 9 months of summer over 4 seasons and mild weather? Why would I choose the rude ppl over the (generally) much friendlier folks? Why would I choose the congestion and traffic, and not to mention the road rage I see all the time over a much easier, calmer driving experience up there? Why would I choose to pay the mortgage and property taxes on my Orlando home when I can get the same for far less, and make the same wages in NC? Why would I choose to be around a lot of angry, frustrated, mad-at-the- world types that seem to have filled Orlando over a more relaxed environment, where people seem much happier (many of these folks are Floridians btw)? I miss America, sometimes I feel like I am not even in America anymore in Orlando.

Look, I like FL. I am partial and always will be, I was born in the state. BUT, Orlando has really been disappointing, and I have seen that many parts of FL have changed drastically. And, in my opinion, these changes have not been positive for the most part. My mind is pretty much made up, NC offers more positives than FL. From everyday life, to the cost of living, to the quality of life, and to the people... etc... I am still here because of family, or else I probably would have put the house up for sale (if I could even sell it right now). My wife (also born in FL) would be thrilled to return to NC, all I have to say is the word and she's ready. But it is harder for me. A lot of family here and I'll just have to see if I can get them to follow me.
Well sorry you're not happy, to each his own I guess, but how long since you've lived in NC and what part of NC did you live in? I took a flight last night from Greensboro to Sanford, and I had to drive from Charlotte to Greensboro. I was tailgated the whole way because I only drive a few miles per hour over the speed limit (I'm done getting speeding tickets). People, at least in Charlotte aren't that friendly. Most of my neighbors won't talk to me or pretend I don't exist. Some people I've met have been nice, but most people are fairly guarded and cold. If you're a four seasons kind of person then yeah Florida isn't for you. But summers are hot in Charlotte (maybe you're from Asheville which is a little cooler, esp. since you mentioned hills, Charlotte is pretty flat for the most part. People also do seem friendlier in the western part of the state). We've had one really bad heat wave already, and if I play with my son in the park for more than 20 minutes or so, on an average day, I have to go back in. In Orlando, after a thunderstorm in the afternoon, it's usually more pleasant to be honest. And I don't care for cold winters at all. Or all the taxes in NC, can't forget that lol. Anyway good luck, hope you're able to get back to NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando