Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 8,630 times

Advertisements

Well, to begin, I just moved from Kissimmee to North Carolina after living in Kissimmee for 22 years. And I will have to say i wish i would of left Kissimmee YEARS AGO!!!! Anyways, my in-laws live in The Oaks and it is a very nice neiborhood. Its very quite and since the housing market has tanked in florida, especially kissimme, you can get a nice home in The Oaks at a decent price. They also have condos in The Oaks and those are listing for $110,000 and it was only a year ago they were going for over $200,000....like i said the market crashed. The only bad thing about The Oaks is the Traffic on John Young Pkwy is horrible. But if work within 10 miles of The Oaks the drive is a little lass then ok. I will warn you that Kissimmee has changed A LOT and for the worse. Most of my family still lives in Kissimmee and my brother was telling me that A LOT of gangs have started and the crime is off the charts especially in Orlando. My opinon, stay away from Kissimmee, its SOOO sad how it has turned into what it is now. And I hope you like Spanish Music b/c thats all your going to hear as you sit in traffic, and get used to the Peurto Rican Flag, thats all your going to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 09:47 PM

12 posts, read 69,979 times
so the subdivision is a good one. Crime and gangs are every where. If you think Charlotte is any different take a drive down indepence ave one day.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:34 PM

170 posts, read 571,052 times
If you must go there I'd pick Oaks and Kissimmee Bay. We lived in Remington and moved last year because we didn't feel safe. It's going downhill fast. It's not a Barrio or anything yet, there are still some nice retired folks there but people are sensing the change for the worst and leaving.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 AM

482 posts, read 2,417,695 times
A few more points on Remington inlight of the last poster who moved a year ago. I was one of the first to buy in Remington 10 years ago, there are really 2 different parts of remington, the subdivisions on the golf course and everthing from around the community clubhouse down to the schools. The subdivisions along the golf course are smaller isolated, I worked for the county when Remington was developing and there are only 300 houses located in the 5 smaller subdivisions closest to Lakeshore, up around the golf course. Smaller homes were permitted back off Knightsbridge toward the back part of Remington. As well, a builder aiming to sell to brits developed 2 of the sub divisions just past the community clubhouse. The last few subdivisions off Remington Blvd. closest to the school popped up during the building boom, most do not have pools, these homes are nothing like the ones David Weekly and US Homes built toward the front of Remington when it was being developed. Remington now has guards at each end of Remington Blvd. from 7 PM until 6 AM. As well, the security company has a vehicle it drives around and I have to say, things are really quite in the evenings. The other important development is the addition of Community Service Officers, we have several residents who have gone thru community policing courses with the Sheriff's Office and are permitted to patrol Remington in a specially marked vehicle, this is also an added security measure as if they need assistance, the Sheriff's office is less then 1/2 a mile away. I always see deputies coming and going thru Remington. We have never had any problems in Remington and have really enjoyed living there, the breezes we get off the lake and down the golf course are great and the location is wonderful, so close to jump on Turnpike to get to Fl. Mall or into Orlando, quick access via Boggy Creek to OIA, or quick trip down 192 to St. Cloud to grocery store, etc..., this is my experience in Remington and I am still there.

Last edited by Guntersville Boomer; 07-28-2008 at 08:04 AM..

Old 07-28-2008, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,020 times
I live in the Oaks and I like the neighborhood. The housing prices have really come down in just the 8 months we have lived here. We moved here from VA and lived in the country there so subdivision living is a big change for us. We are renting but like it enough that we made an offer on another house in the neighborhood ( we looked at Saint Cloud & other areas).

The traffic on John Young is bad in afternoon at rush hour, but not during the day. My husband works up OBT near Osceola parkway and can come home for lunch easily. The main problem has been no left turn out of the subdivision onto John Young, but the county voted to change the signal. I'm not sure when but it was approved.

I have 3 small children and there are PLENTY of playmates - too many! ringing the bell all afternoon! lol. We chose private school for my oldest last year & are considering Pleasant Hill elm. for him & my daughter who will be in K this year. No one has posted it but Pleasant Hill WAS an "A" school but dropped to a "B" this spring. That worries me a little.

I don't know much about Kissimmee Bay ( other than the much talked about HOA problems in the news) or Remmington. It may depend on exactly where you are working as to which is better for you.

Crime here in the Oaks is very little. One break in that I have heard of in whole time we have been here. There is a neighborhood watch group. They just built a brand new Publix grocery store by here. Our house is on one of the ponds & the view is gorgeous! The kids fish in the back yard & dh caught a 6lb bass ( in case fishing is a pro!)

The main loop ( the Oaks bld) gets a few speedy drivers, choose a cul-de-sac or side street if you can. The little main street area of Kissimmee is cute, has a farmers market on Thursdays and lots of festivals. The other areas of Kissimmee like around 192 and some of the older subdivisions are a little run down looking.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:11 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,032 times
Hello Scrapjacks and welcome to the board. I live close by and my children will be going to Pleasant Hill. I am not worried about the grade drop because it still has one of the best reputations for Elementary schools in the county. The teachers are amazing from what I have heard.

I didn't know that the stop light was going to be fixed soon. I absolutely hate coming out of the old Publix shopping center and trying to get back home because I have to make that left going north on JYP. This will be very helpful to the Oaks as it is one of the only reasons we did not look into this development when we were deciding on a home.

Again, the Oaks is right up there as one of the best subdivisions for the price in all of Osceola county IMO. It's definitely an area to look into if someone is looking for homes in Kissimmee.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:10 PM

28 posts, read 67,270 times
A Realtor just mentioned the Oaks as a place I might look for a home....thanks for the information. I think the subdivision has some of the best view lots of any area I've looked at so far...at good prices.
(I'm all about that pond view!)
Visiting my daughter in California for mother's day, but thinking of coming to look mid May.
How many miles, drive time from the airport? how many from Disney? (trying to get the location set in my brain)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando