Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:03 AM

13 posts, read 114,144 times

Advertisements

Dailyjournalist, in my 30 years of life, I have lived all over Orlando from Metro West, to College Park to out on the east side near UCF. And I as said in my post, I haven't seen any crime since I moved here. No gunshots, no police having to patrol the area and I sure as hell haven't seen any gangs. I'm not saying they don't exist because there are criminals in even the nicest communities, I'm just saying I personally haven't had any problems.

Of course, my area is still new. There are still a lot of empty lots and houses out here. And I would imagine that as more people move out here, crime will increase. But for now, this is the most peace I've had in years.

ETA - Anyone who's seen the crime statistics for Orlando know that it's more than just areas like Pine Hills where there are problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 01:40 AM

3 posts, read 8,679 times
hey now.....poinciana is not that bad..... I have lived in poinciana since 1989 I have seen some major changes and not once have come accross any gang violence. as in any town when it grows there are growing pains and with more people comes come crime but it is not nearly as bad as some parts of orlando. I agree with cmj_fla I also do a lot of stuff near lakeland/winter haven your lifestyle will depend on what you encounter in life, so do your research and I am sure you will find whats right for your family. [mod] advertising [/mod]

Last edited by cmj_fla; 09-04-2008 at 04:56 AM..

Old 09-07-2008, 05:45 PM

442 posts, read 2,913,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinelife View Post
To all the people who say there are gangs in poinciana. Please!!! I'll admit that there was a group of high school kids who made up a little crews but there is no major gang problems like l.a. Bloods, crips, or ny latin kings. You have a bunch of wannabes....when was the last time poinciana had a drive-by shooting? A home invasion? Where do the gangs hang out?? I know a while back you had some bad ass kids on the polk county side on falcon but anybody who knows polk county will agree that polk county sheriffs don't play and cleaned it up.....you do have the weed smokers and the honda civic drag racers here but what you guys are calling gangs are kids with no entertainment....after 9pm if you are caught walking the streets police will approach you....poinciana is a good place to live but for entertainment you will have to travel...
Interesting, I live off Falcon and Know exactly where and whom you are talking about .The Punks are now all in Jeuve, for a little while at least..You are so Right about Polk County Sherrif do NOT MESS around!..I love Grady Judd He is top Notch in my Book!....
However I think there HAVE been some Bloods and Crips activity out here...The shooting about two yrs ago on Linet I believe was gang Related but I m not so sure its WIDE spread...
I know Osceola Side was having some major issues with Gangs about 6 months ago , hopefully they have a handle on it !

Old 04-07-2011, 10:09 PM

8 posts, read 12,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39Chris525i View Post
I have heard some bad/good things about Poinciana. $1000/month for 4-5 bedroom houses seems to be good, but doesn't it seem to good to be true? I assume the commute to the Orlando area is a pain since there aren't any major roads to I-4. How is the a.m. traffic conditions on eastbound I-4 going towards downtown area? Would it still be a decent area to live in, or would it be better to move just north of Orlando. I heard alot of praises for Maitland, Lake Mary area, etc...
Don't move here, it's not a good place to live. Maitland is very nice if you can afford it. Move anywhere but Poinciana!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemelb View Post
Are we exaggerating a little?

The reason why is so cheap is because of the over supply of homes.
Nooo, it's because of the lifestyle of the residents, and the bad conditions the vacant houses are left in.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You obviously have never driven through Poinciana.
Yes! someone else that see's it like I do!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnEllise View Post
I just moved to poinciana and its ok if you like living in the country. Contrary to some of the other post, I pay $900 a month for a 4 bedroom and I DO NOT live near any crack houses or gangs!. It's really quiet out here and there isn't much to do. I commute to downtown orlando 5 days a week and it's an hour drive depending on traffic. I travel up highway 27 to I-4. It's a lot quicker than going thru Kissimmee. I would look at some of the houses in pok county near lake hatchineah and poinciana parkway. Nice houses out here as long as you don't mind livin g near a mixture of people. I know someone made a previous comment about it not being "American", but whatever. This isn't the place for you if you aren't fond of people who are from other countries.
I live in that neighborhood, and it's not that they are from another country, it's the fact that they bring their bad habits with them! They need to assimilate. They would expect it out of us if we lived in their country.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:36 PM

212 posts, read 335,592 times
I live down here in Poinciana and it is not as bad as some make it out to be. Housing is dirt cheap now, but you owe it to yourself to do some research before you jump in. Rather than looking at your normal commute on paper, drive it. Take the time to see really how long it will take you to get to and fro if you lived here. You know yourself best, but what may not be "so bad" with the excitement of moving can quickly become a mind numbing exercise after the first few months have went by.

Not much in "real" gang activity - just a lot of bored kids playing wannabe. House next door was tagged a couple of times but that was last year. I would suggest you take some time and hang around the neighborhood at various times of day. Sit down in the Dennys, hang out in front of the Wal Mart (we call that "the mall" down here) and you will quickly see if this community would be a fit for you personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando