U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:47 AM

18 posts, read 93,323 times

Advertisements

We may have found the perfect home - we'll see for ourselves in about 10 days when we fly down. It's in a large Lake Mary neighborhood on an acre of land. Almost half of the acre has trees. We'd like to expand the house into the trees, but not by much. What are the rules for doing that? Does the "conservation" area start after our property line ends? Do we own the trees? Is this a HOA decision, or Seminole county decision? Or some kind of blanket law?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 01:29 PM

26 posts, read 88,256 times
Whatever the answer to these questions are (sorry I cannot help), do not rely solely upon answers from this board or the oral representations of a seller or seller's agent!

The answers you seek will vary greatly depending on the subdivision, HOA, city and county. Most will regulate the removal of trees over a certain size. You should get these answers *in writing* from a *buyers* agent and the governing bodies in that area. Many unethical people will say anything to make a sale, so make sure you KNOW the answers for certain before you take the plunge ... and fret not if this spot doesn't work out. It is a buyer's market still, and in some places, it seems the entire town is for sale.

Also, if you plan to work downtown, you may want to try out the I4-downtown-LM commute at rush hour before you pull the trigger. This plays a big role in pricing and lifestyle/quality of life of course.

Best of luck with your move. Its 77 degrees and sunny today. January is FLA is a treat!

Old 01-16-2007, 01:55 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,629,383 times
The expansion of your house on your lot will be determined by a number of factors. First, the conservation area is most likely behind your lot (not a part of your lot) - probably wetlands or some other type of land that couldn't be developed for one reason or another, or that had to be left "green" to meet the County's green space requirements. You cannot make subdivision lots out of wetlands or conservation areas.

However, you will need to know the topography of your property - is any portion of it in Flood zone A? If so, then you cannot build on it, without filling it which may or may not be alowable. Next, you need to be concerned with setback requirements and the lot coverage ration and impervious ratios - all of these are limiting factors as to how much of your lot you can pour concrete over. You need to know if your house sits on a "non-conforming" lot. For example if you have a house which was built on less than one acre, but your zoning calls for one unit to an acre, you will have to get a varience before the county will even consider letting you expand.

Best place to start, if you are serious, is talk to a site plan engineer.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:11 PM

800 posts, read 2,901,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbank View Post
Whatever the answer to these questions are (sorry I cannot help), do not rely solely upon answers from this board or the oral representations of a seller or seller's agent!

The answers you seek will vary greatly depending on the subdivision, HOA, city and county. Most will regulate the removal of trees over a certain size. You should get these answers *in writing* from a *buyers* agent and the governing bodies in that area. Many unethical people will say anything to make a sale, so make sure you KNOW the answers for certain before you take the plunge ... and fret not if this spot doesn't work out. It is a buyer's market still, and in some places, it seems the entire town is for sale.

Also, if you plan to work downtown, you may want to try out the I4-downtown-LM commute at rush hour before you pull the trigger. This plays a big role in pricing and lifestyle/quality of life of course.

Best of luck with your move. Its 77 degrees and sunny today. January is FLA is a treat!

Good advice. Where conservation areas are concerned, talk to the county planners about what you can and can't do. Sometimes, if your house backs to conservation areas, you can't even trim up the trees, even if your property is lakefront. Check with the governing authorities on the laws before buying.

I doubt a buyer's agent, however, will put anything in writing but to contact the governing authority.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:40 AM

18 posts, read 93,323 times
Default Thanks for the great advice!

I knew you all would give great information. We have our buyer's agent on the issue as we speak. She is getting the HOA documents on the matter, but we'll also pursue the issue with the county before we sign anything.

We'll be down to check out the house on Thursday in person ;-) We just had a snow and ice storm here in DC so we are VERY anxious to get down there.

Thanks again!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:53 AM

800 posts, read 2,901,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb703 View Post
I knew you all would give great information. We have our buyer's agent on the issue as we speak. She is getting the HOA documents on the matter, but we'll also pursue the issue with the county before we sign anything.

We'll be down to check out the house on Thursday in person ;-) We just had a snow and ice storm here in DC so we are VERY anxious to get down there.

Thanks again!

The HOA docs address the HOA and not the conservation area. HOA govern the commonly owned areas like club houses, pools, etc and rules regarding what you can and can't do to your property. Be sure you check with your city or county. They would govern the conservation area.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:39 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,629,383 times
First, determine whether you are in the city limits. If you are not, then you are in Seminole County (more likely). A simple telephone call to the Seminole County Planning and Zonning department will get you on the right track to knowing EXACTLY what you can and cannot do with you property. You may even want to go down to the Seminole County P&Z and talk to them - they are very helpful.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,718 times
I live in Cypress Isle a community in Waterford Lakes, Orlando, Florida. My property in the back is next to a beautiful Conservation Area. We have lived here for 20 years and have watched the Pines, Maples, and Cypress Trees grow in size. The Hurricane Matthew brought winds tour area from the north. Fortunately the winds were not too strong to bring down some of the very tall tress. They would have fallen on my house. I spoke with a representative of our Waterford Home Owner Association, concerned that the very tall trees were a potential threat to my home. They informed me that the association would only remove damaged or dead trees form the conservation area. I asked if one of the trees fell onto my house, who would be responsible for the damage. They informed me I would be responsible. They said this was not written in the by-laws but is a Florida Law addressing Conservation areas.
Would you please tell me how to review this law.
Much appreciated,
RL

Old 10-27-2016, 03:53 PM

125 posts, read 251,577 times
And remember "Conservation areas" are only conservation areas until a developer makes a campaign contribution to the right county planners.

As easily as they were defined conservation area, they can be redefined to commercial development.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:24 PM

5,548 posts, read 7,192,130 times
^^^^ this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando