U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:10 PM

561 posts, read 1,832,742 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about the Whispering Oaks community in Oviedo?

Is it a nice place? Safe? Etc...

How about the following schools:

Lawton Elementary

Jackson Heights Middle

Oviedo High

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,114,535 times
I went to all three schools while growing up in Oviedo (plus Stenstrom Elem. when it was built). As far as I know, I turned out ok! Seriously though, I am fairly sure those schools are still top-notch today. Jackson Heights isn't in a great neighborhood, but the school does an excellent job at keeping the neighborhood out and a great school in.

As far as the neighborhood, I never knew anyone who lived in there, and I never heard of it being a "bad" area. There are one or two small pockets of areas that I wouldn't buy a house in on Aulin Ave (to the east of that neighborhood). From what I remember, it is a nice looking place with large older oaks. The only downside I could possibly see is the Biltmore Townhomes that were just put in a year and a half ago. They back right up to a few homes. My wife and I looked at one of the townhomes and I remember thinking "geeze they put these places right on top of those people!"

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Oviedo.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the information. Do you know if those townhomes are primarily owner occupied or rentals?

Is Aulin Ave a busy major commercial road or is it primarily residential? Is Aulin known to be a "less than desirable" road?

Also, is the Jackson heights area considered incorporated Oviedo? How about the area where Whisoering Pines is? I want to know that because, I have checked Oviedo crime stats, but if these areas are county then those stats would not apply.

Last edited by markhunt; 07-17-2008 at 07:33 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 08:40 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,114,535 times
All of the areas mentioned are incorporated Oviedo. Aulin is primarily residential (there is an asphalt plant at the end near SR 426, but that's it for commercial). If you were to drive down it today, unknowing, you wouldn't think anything bad about it...and there isn't anything really "bad" to it. There are just a very small pocket of not so perfect...that's all. I don't mean to cause alarm.

If you get to know Oviedo's history (which is slowly being stomped out), you'll find out the area Jackson Heights is located in was "the other side of the tracks"...seriously. Railroad tracks used to run through Oviedo, and the east side of what was the town at that time was the, ah hem, "black" side of town--all racism aside. Since then, Oviedo has grown way past it's old boundaries (and segregation) and the "other side of the tracks" is now sort of in the middle of Oviedo...and last I heard or saw, the largest part of the mild ghetto that surrounded Jackson Heights was being redeveloped.

As far as the town homes...I have no idea. We were looking to buy, but didn't due to the cost. Wish I could help more there. I'd say ask a realtor, but then you'd be stuck with them pestering you for a few weeks!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:50 AM

Hey, this is great information. I'm going to check out the area a little today, but this is all really good to know. All part of the researching. Thanks again!

Old 01-07-2009, 12:55 PM

21 posts, read 75,884 times
Default Mild ghetto?

I was just their doing my due dilligence as we were looking to buy the new Engle Homes Townhomes next to Oviedo Forest - and we (my Police Officer husband) was not happy at the area around the school (Jackson Heights Middle). A mild Ghetto is a very strange pairing of words. We witnessed suspious activity (drug deals) and were followed around by a pick up truck after circling the neighborhood. School was closed for Christmas break. For my husband and I the area was totally unacceptable. He has patroled areas like this in his 19 years on the the job. We aren't going to send our daughter to a school in a mild ghetto any time soon. Hagerty was beautiful area in Sanctuary and Chiles Middle school are together on Sanctuary drive. Our broker Doug Packard, showed us 8 homes and we looked at 4 bedroom 3 bath home in Sanctuary for $228,000. Absolutely beautiful. We spent the day in Oviedo, went to the Oviedo Marketplace Mall and had lunch there - drove for hours and spoke to Oviedo and Orlando Cops (cops can approach each other and get honest answers based on first hand knowledge of crime). Lake Mary was suggested by one Orlando Cop we spoke to and Oviedo was also given the acknowledgement. The High School in Lake Mary is rated B currently and The agerty High and Oviedo are A so we will stay with our Sanctuary decision. HOA is and can be difficult but we looked at Riverside at Twin Rivers across the street from Sanctuary and founf alot of homes with multiple cars in driveway and boats and and abandoned car in one of the homes we looked at. The neighbor was ok it was older than Sanctuary and looked a bit worn in. I bet so will Sanctuary some day but with the stringent HOA maybe not as soon. We are constantly researching if you want our Brokers information and his great website you can PM me. He was just incredible with us.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:27 PM

11 posts, read 40,956 times
I live in Oviedo. The area at Jackson Heights Middle School is a "little ghetto". The school is a super school and is kept very safe. The 1 block in front of the school to the west is rent-a-shacks. There is an occasional rock dealer in the rent-a-shack. They ussually only come out at night. Across 426 from Jackson Heights Middle School is the "lower income family dwellings". Behind Jackson Heights Middle School is the Govt. housing project. I have lived just east of the school in "Kingsbridge East" subdivision (homes from $225,000 to $800,000) for 13 years. Both of my children have gone to Jackson Heights without any problems. They don't allow problems there.
Oviedo is about as safe as you can get in central Florida. Lawton Elem. and Oviedo High are good schools. My daughter graduated from Oviedo High and my son is currently in the 11th grade there. Again they are both safe schools as well. (Kid's can find trouble anytime they look for it, including in private christian schools.)

Old 01-07-2009, 02:27 PM

21 posts, read 75,884 times
Default Little Ghetto / Rock dealer

Due to mu husbands arresting the occasional rock dealer and finding guns and on these perps, it's just not a situation that I or I would hope any parent would willingly put their child around. Mild and drug dealing (rock?) just aren't words that cops put together nor justify in the minds. I know the shcool (Jackson Heights is A rated) but it's very possible a drug deal could happen during the day - during school hours and gund could go off. I couldn't sleep knowing what we saw with our own eyes a few days ago. Can't justify the A rating and the perps that live within feet. It's not about them being poor as poor a drug dealing don't go hand in hand. It's the actually drugs being sold that we're talking about - Shacks, occasional rock - mild ghetto - We Northerners may not get the Florida laid back mind set yet, bt don't think I will change my opionion on putting my child in that situation knowingly and intentionally. What is a A rated school in Florida is not the same as a School of Excellence in New York. We don't have good schools in Slums or occasional rock selling areas.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:32 AM

7 posts, read 32,771 times
We have lived in Oviedo for nearly 30 years. We graduated from Oviedo High after having 3 successful years in Jackson Heights. We were here when "The Sanctuary" was still a rural airstrip in a field. We never had any problems, personally, in the Jackson Heights area. It is not like living in Harlem or The Bronx. But wait, how would I know....I have never lived there. Guess I would have to experience it to form an opinion.

Your husband would probably agree that crime can happen anywhere. Yes, we often thought the area around Jackson Heights was "blighted" but, take a drive through and see that many of the residents have been there all of their lives. This little part of Oviedo has 4 Churches, an active community origanization and many who contribute not only to the City of Oviedo, but also Central Florida. We read the reports on a regular basis. There have been drug arrests on 419, just outside of "The Sanctuary" and a woman was recently held captive in her home (Hagerty/Carrillon area) while the home was burglarized. It can happen anywhere.

Just know this, Oviedo is a great town to live in. There is a great bit of history to this town. It is one of the most spectacular towns (I think) for families. Welcome to our town, please accept it for all that it is, whether you decide to live in a McMansion in Sanctuary or in one of the more established neighborhoods in Oviedo.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 AM

11 posts, read 40,956 times
Your bigger drug dealers actually live in your nicer neighborhoods. "Hood Rats" can't afford the larger amounts of drugs with the fully auto weapons that go off in the nicer neighborhoods. Not around here anyway. Maybe they can up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>