Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:30 AM

8 posts, read 39,679 times

Advertisements

I just want to get out of here as soon as I can sell my home! I want to go back to the green grass of home WITHOUT the fire ants and cockroaches! When I moved here in 1981 it was very nice but it sure has become crime ridden and nasty, Mickey Mouse or not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 03:09 AM

99 posts, read 609,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 380lady View Post
I just want to get out of here as soon as I can sell my home! I want to go back to the green grass of home WITHOUT the fire ants and cockroaches! When I moved here in 1981 it was very nice but it sure has become crime ridden and nasty, Mickey Mouse or not!

I consider orlando relatively cheap and I like the idea of all the sun and I have friends nearby. It seems far more accessible to me than the other cities I love (Seattle and New York) and I don't want to call people fussy, but it seems like people are overreacting to the "bad" parts of Florida. It's a massive city and people feel like if there's any crime at all it's a craphole, but it's not smalltown USA where everyone knows everyone, so I think it should be judged by a different standard...

That said, what do I know? So... how bad are the bugs really? New York City bad? impossible!

Old 09-15-2007, 05:35 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,275,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaBella View Post
I consider orlando relatively cheap and I like the idea of all the sun and I have friends nearby. It seems far more accessible to me than the other cities I love (Seattle and New York) and I don't want to call people fussy, but it seems like people are overreacting to the "bad" parts of Florida. It's a massive city and people feel like if there's any crime at all it's a craphole, but it's not smalltown USA where everyone knows everyone, so I think it should be judged by a different standard...

That said, what do I know? So... how bad are the bugs really? New York City bad? impossible!
"ANY CRIME?"....Look at the stats..you will see that Orlando is the 7th most dangerous city for crime......of coarse Florida has alot of things that keep people here like low pay so that you can never save enough to leave if you need to.....which i dont want to leave but if you think Florida is in the top 40 states for having no crimes then guess again......There is a reason that the show "COPS" was filmed here in the first few seasons and there is a reason why the host of the show "America's Most Wanted" is pushing to catch all the criminals he can ever since his son was kidnapped and murdered in Florida......Florida has been one of the top states for crime ever since i was born back in 78.......there are 40 or so states that are alot safer than Florida overall and may be more states then that to tell you the truth......Did your city have government agencies come in to crackdown on crime this past year?.....there were only 5 cities that government agencies and the Guardian Angels came to to help the drastic flow of crime in these cities...i know Orlando and San Juan PR are 2 of those cities...where are all the other more dangerous cities since everything is so safe here?.............You say how bad are the bugs really?......NYC bad?......LOL....of coarse there are the infamous cockroaches we have all heard about in NYC .....and the rats right......well you talk of cockroaches right...do you have any that fly in NYC and that are really big as well?......What part of Florida are you from?

Old 09-15-2007, 06:42 AM

99 posts, read 609,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
"ANY CRIME?"....Look at the stats..you will see that Orlando is the 7th most dangerous city for crime......of coarse Florida has alot of things that keep people here like low pay so that you can never save enough to leave if you need to.....which i dont want to leave but if you think Florida is in the top 40 states for having no crimes then guess again......There is a reason that the show "COPS" was filmed here in the first few seasons and there is a reason why the host of the show "America's Most Wanted" is pushing to catch all the criminals he can ever since his son was kidnapped and murdered in Florida......Florida has been one of the top states for crime ever since i was born back in 78.......there are 40 or so states that are alot safer than Florida overall and may be more states then that to tell you the truth......Did your city have government agencies come in to crackdown on crime this past year?.....there were only 5 cities that government agencies and the Guardian Angels came to to help the drastic flow of crime in these cities...i know Orlando and San Juan PR are 2 of those cities...where are all the other more dangerous cities since everything is so safe here?.............You say how bad are the bugs really?......NYC bad?......LOL....of coarse there are the infamous cockroaches we have all heard about in NYC .....and the rats right......well you talk of cockroaches right...do you have any that fly in NYC and that are really big as well?......What part of Florida are you from?

Listen, whether or not you mean to, you come across as very combative and in your face. I'm not looking for arguments here, I was just answering the question of the original poster. I admit to not knowing a huge amount of Florida, so I'm explaining in my post that it seems decent to me. We can talk about crime, but I feel, stats or no stats, that crime happens everywhere, so it doesn't seem like Orlando = hell.

if you could be less personal and demanding in your replies I think it'd make a much nicer thread.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:02 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,213,496 times
I enjoy my life in Orlando. I guess I must either be crazy or delusional if it's as bad as the picture some paint in this forum. Nah!! Most people in Orlando have a real life and are out on this beautiful Saturday morning enjoying it.

So let's go out and have fun! I'm trying to decide what it's going to be today...the beach or the springs. I'm certainly not going anywhere near Alafaya and University! LOL....Go KNIGHTS!!

Old 09-15-2007, 08:14 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,216,432 times
some enjoy it, and some dont. i think most newbies may like it, but after a while, it is just a big city with crime, rude ppl, bad drivers (i mean like the worst), etc... there's no beach or rivers or mtns., it's just a big strip mall. there isnt anything unique to orlando, and i honestly dont see the attraction.

the ability to beach close to the beach, the springs, disney is nice. but you could live in other cities/states and be close to beaches and springs.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:36 AM

54 posts, read 249,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
some enjoy it, and some dont. i think most newbies may like it, but after a while, it is just a big city with crime, rude ppl, bad drivers (i mean like the worst), etc... there's no beach or rivers or mtns., it's just a big strip mall. there isnt anything unique to orlando, and i honestly dont see the attraction.

the ability to beach close to the beach, the springs, disney is nice. but you could live in other cities/states and be close to beaches and springs.
I'm not a newbie. I've been a resident of central FL since 1976 & I love it here. I lived in Philly, Pittsburgh & Harrisburg before moving here. I spent ten years in the Army as a military police officer after I moved here. I was stationed in NYC for 3 years, Honolulu Hi,for 3 years, Seoul Korea for a year & Killeen TX for 2. With 3-6 month trainings in AL, VA, & IN. I've lived in the Wekiva Springs area, Kissimmee & Hunter's Creek areas. I've been employed by the same hospitality company for the last 19 years, both at the Airport & Disney areas. I've been around. The drivers are terrible everywhere you go. Seoul being the worst by far with NYC, Philly & Honolulu a distant 2nd. To me, the people aren't any ruder here than anywhere else I've been. With rudeness being a personal thing, with different perceptions, your perception is your perception.
You are right, there are no mountains. If you came here for mountains, you came to the wrong place & have you no right to complain.
Ever heard of the St Johns & Wekiva rivers? There are many other large bodies of water in central FL to enjoy. Lake George, Lake Toho, the Butler chain, & the Conway chain to name a few. Plus the many beaches within a hour of the area. That complaint was very weak.
Now to crime. The stats are bogus. They don't add the 40 mil visitors annually into the equation & each state reports their stats to the FBI differently so polititians can cherry pick. Using TV crime shows & the local news that are looking for ratings as references for crime from the previous poster? PLEASE! What a joke. Crime is no worse here than anywhere else, plain & simple. LUCABELLA said it best. "I don't want to call people fussy, but it seems like people are overreacting to the "bad" parts of Florida. It's a massive city and people feel like if there's any crime at all it's a craphole, but it's not smalltown USA where everyone knows everyone, so I think it should be judged by a different standard..."
I've enjoyed everywhere I've been, but I've enjoyed Orlando the most. It's been wonderful & I look forward to many more years here.

To the ladie with the bug problem, roaches, flys & ants are global. Clean your house, quit complaining & GET AN EXTERMINATOR.

Last edited by stugots32837; 09-15-2007 at 12:05 PM..

Old 09-15-2007, 11:43 AM

436 posts, read 1,358,046 times
Oh my gosh, I love your post stugots. I know no where is perfect or paradise, but Florida as a whole takes a daily beating on this forum. Sometimes you just want to slap someone silly! lol

Old 09-15-2007, 12:11 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,216,432 times
"What a joke. Crime is no worse here than anywhere else, plain & simple"

i like fla a lot, but i dont like orlando. the statement you made above though is, well, wrong.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:15 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,213,496 times
What bewilders me is that just because some don't like to live in a place, they make it look like the armpit of the earth and think anybody that likes to live there must be stupid or living in a dream world. In fact, the living in a dream world part has been stated to me personally. I quit posting for awhile because it was beginning to get to me. Why should I deliberately put myself out there to be abused? But I feel sorry for the people coming here for real advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando