Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 04:46 PM

41 posts, read 173,194 times

Advertisements

We are enjoying suggestions and perspectives from those of you who have been contributing to the other threads!

My husband will soon be working in Orlando, but will only need to commute there three to four times per month which gives us the flexibility to live in either Tampa/St. Pete, Space Coast or Orlando areas. We would appreciate your insights or suggestions on which you all would suggest given our stats/priorities:

1. Three elementary-school-aged children. Top schools and safe areas are paramount. I will probably substitute teach, so schools are important professionally, as well.

2. Cap of $1M on a house. Have three kids and three dogs so zero lot subdivisions are probably not for us (more precisely, we are probably not the kind of people that retired neighbors would particularly enjoy) since we would use our backyard (hopefully pool) a lot. Given a choice, we would lean more towards Key West style homes than Mediterranean style architecture (my husband is laughing at me for adding this last point).

3. We are family and outdoor oriented - swimming, jogging, scouting, music lessons, boating, bicycling, surfing, ice skating...

So, where would you live if you were us?

We are planning to make a big, fat, circular, commando trip down there in early March so we appreciate your insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 05:15 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,242,868 times
I don't think you would want to commute from Tampa to Orlando even if only 3 times a week. I would check out the Windermere area or Winter Park, or possibly Lake Mary in Seminole County.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:49 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,315,305 times
Wow~ a million dollar cap on the house!!! That pretty much leaves you open to live any place you want to live.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the Orlando suggestions, Spunky. I'll certainly check those out further. DH would only be making the commute a couple of times per month so it wouldn't be too painful if we were as much as a couple of hours out. He'd rather commute if it might give us better quality of life outside Orlando.

LOL, Jammie! Trust me, our cap is the result of years of Suave shampoo, no Starbucks and basic (sometimes no) cable! So where would you suggest living?

Old 01-20-2007, 10:50 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,185,198 times
I think your children would really enjoy the Orlando area. There are so many things for kids here. Your homeowners insurance would most likely be cheaper here as Orlando is much further inland than Tampa. Also, even though the commute is only a couple of times a month - it can be a nightmare. I-4 between Tampa and Orlando is always under construction. The last time we made the trip to Tampa - it took us about 90 minutes to get there and 4 hours to get back due to construction issues.

I have lived in both places and it really is a matter of preference. Perhaps you will get a chance to visit both before making a decision.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:13 AM

2,971 posts, read 2,242,868 times
Oh, I misread your post regarding 4 times a month. Well, I would still check out Windermere and Winter Park. If I had my choice of any area to live in Orlando that would be my choice. Winter Park is very centrally located and it is beautiful, and you have the shopping/dining on Park Ave. Windermere is also lovely and if you are into boating there is the Butler Chain of Lakes. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2007, 01:10 PM

Thank you, Spunky! I will hone in on these areas and to a little MLS shopping today...

How about Merritt Island or Melbourne? Anyone think these might be a good option? Just a guess... but might the schools be pretty good that-a-way given because of NASA families?

Thanks in advance...

Old 01-21-2007, 08:56 PM

56 posts, read 355,391 times
Keikis, I just have to put in a big "thumbs up" for you to check out Melbourne Beach! We have been so happy here. My husband is being transferred and we have to move to NC, otherwise I don't think we would ever leave. I can't imagine a better place for our kids to grow up (they're now 15 and 16). We're originally from IL and MI and have been here for almost 20 years (mostly in Melbourne Beach, but also in Palm Bay from 1989-1994). We moved back to Melbourne Beach to be in the Gemini Elementary "zone" when the kids were about to start school. They went through Gemini, then Hoover Middle School, and are now at Melbourne High. We've been VERY happy with these schools.
From what you've said about your family and your interests, it really sounds like Melbourne Beach/Indialantic/Satellite Beach areas could be a great fit for you. I don't want to seem like I'm trying to sell you anything, I promise there's nothing in it for me except for trying to provide the kind of info./opinions I've been seeking about our new area near Raleigh, NC!
I'm not trying to say it's perfect here -- of course there are some things that have been less than ideal (the 2004 hurricane season comes to mind!) but looking at relocating after all these years has really got me thinking about how good we've had it. I think it's a great community, very safe, good schools, lots of sports and outdoor activities, etc. to become involved in... Anyway if I can answer any questions for you, I'll try. Let me know (here or by PM).

Old 01-21-2007, 09:11 PM

56 posts, read 355,391 times
Oh, forgot to add that we are about 90 minutes away from most places in Orlando, taking I-95 and 528. Maybe we've not happened to make the drive during busy times, but we've never yet had to deal with any traffic to speak of.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:12 PM

I appreciate your information, Amy. I know you feel like you are sticking your neck out with specifics, but it is helpful and points me in a direction in doing a little homework. I wish you luck in NC. You will find it to be a beautiful state with a lot of terrific choices for higher education. Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando