U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Orlando: graphic designer, diversity, dating life, retail population, grease monkey, career market

Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,557 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

For a short description about myself, I'm single male and recently turn 26 in Panama City (PC), Florida (...or Panama City Beach). I have half of my family here. I lived here almost my entire life except for 4 years, which was at Gainesville, FL for college and returning back home after graduation. But now...I'm at the point now where I want to try a new, bigger place and exciting place to live. SO MUCH TO SEE! I don't want to go to a place that is too big of a jump from PC but big enough. Gradual relocation is key. I'm really, tired of PC after all these years. PC is known for it's beach but I'm not a "beach bum" but I do like it. At least orlando is half and hour or so away from beach if I ever feel the urge too again. Anyhow, below are what I'm after and I believe Orlando delivers the bill to move...I also have questions too.

Main reason want to move
1) Diversity of people. I missed the diverse people I met back in college. When I returned home to PC again after college a couple years ago...I didn't realize it when I originally left for college...but PC has ZERO diversity. I like meeting people of different backgrounds, easier to start conversations with, share stories, similar or different interests, and career paths. Easier to meet people it seems.

Things about me and Orlando
1) I've visited Orlando about 4-5 times already and enjoyed each time. Most recent was this past weekend. Usually visiting family, friends, auto events and theme parks. Just tons of stuff to do even more if I did lived here.
2) I'm a 5 year experienced established graphic designer (print, web sites, media) and been recognized with design awards. I have been noted from my friends and co-workers/partners that say I have a great creative skill set that needs to flourish elsewhere that is bigger than PC. I'm always looking for a challenge and whatnot to further refine my portfolio and skills. Orlando and Tampa is from what I hear, graphic design capital in Florida...
3) Because the population and singles/dating life in PC is very small and not as "diverse," I've had a very hard time finding a single person to chat with as long as I can remember living in PC. 99% of the time they're taken. But when I was in Gainesville, I met a lot to mingle with...and that was only 4 years. More diverse.
4) I'm a 40/60 passive/assertive (outgoing...not cocky), repsectively...But of course if I move, it's solo for me so I don't mind going to the night clubs solo or events just to meet people/friends/dating.
5) Huge retail population, entertainment and areas of attraction. How can you tire the entertainment and things to do.
6) I'm a huge "grease monkey" / car-enthusiast. And from what I can tell/see...Orlando has a huge fan base of automobiles of all types and events.

Things I know about Orlando...
1) Traffic isn't the best but manageable
2) Crime is of course higher due to bigger city. PC hardly has any crimes other than robberies and accidents. I will research more on "safer" areas to live.

Questions...
1) I hear job salary/income isn't as great as it should be for Orlando. I'm currently a sub-contractor/web designer for a local company. It's weird the way it works...I can work on site, at home, and of course, as a freelancer across the world if I had to. Should I retain this job when I move to Orlando, keep it partime or be okay finding a new web design/print/media design job in Orlando? I'm an experienced designer with at least 5 years of professional practice and hopefully can find a position of similar pay as my current. For PC, it's unexpectedly a great paying career/profession job considering PC isn't known to be for the creative/design field. The cost of living is similar for both places from what I research but Orlando is more buy a few. Sorry if I'm ignorant, I have yet to research thoroughly on the career market/statistics in Orlando before asking this question.

2) What is dating life like for singles?

3) Is Winter Park/Oviedo really a great area to start living? That's the general consensus thus far based on my reading for newcomers of Orlando.

4) Is Orlando really that diverse of a people population? Or are these people actually tourists I'm seeing since it is a tourist city???

-----
Sorry for the long post. Maybe I should've broken it down.

Last edited by FDzero; 07-21-2008 at 11:32 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 7,025 times
wow- what a long post.... I've been here since I was 12 and I love it here. I do travel but I dont know I'm kinda stuck here in my mind and dont want to goo anywhere else but I will say that most of my friends who moved here from other cities do tend to complain about the pay in salary. As far as crime...it just all depends where you are, live and hang out. And as for dating well... no comment. I'm taken but my friends are having a hard time...lol

Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,965,073 times
The best advice I can give you is way off your course of thought.

Just hearing that you have spent your entire life in Florida is just about making me claustrophobic. I mean, you refer to cities in Florida as "lived somewhere else" as was the case when you were in Gainesville - also in Florida.

You think there is a lot to see in just Florida? Spread your wings wider, get in your car and drive to Washington state or Maine - or both. If you have the ability to work from home - or on the road, now is the time to do just that. See the country, meet the people, feel the diversity all around you and learn the dialects of the regions of the nation. After you have seen the rest of the country - at least 25 of the 50 states, THEN you can choose to settle somewhere and have a bundle of memories of the experience to share.

Oh, and Orlando is an hour from either beach, assuming you drive the speed limit.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:56 AM

1,683 posts, read 7,777,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post

After you have seen the rest of the country - at least 25 of the 50 states, THEN you can choose to settle somewhere and have a bundle of memories of the experience to share.

Oh, and Orlando is an hour from either beach, assuming you drive the speed limit.
Overall, pretty good advice. One point to note -I live in south east Orlando - a mile or so from the 528. I can leave my home and be on the beach in Cocoa in 35 minutes and I drive the speed limit. LOL

Old 07-22-2008, 09:28 AM

24 posts, read 67,070 times
Winter Park sounds like the place for you to live

Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,607,614 times
Quote:

Just hearing that you have spent your entire life in Florida is just about making me claustrophobic. I mean, you refer to cities in Florida as "lived somewhere else" as was the case when you were in Gainesville - also in Florida.

You think there is a lot to see in just Florida? Spread your wings wider, get in your car and drive to Washington state or Maine - or both. If you have the ability to work from home - or on the road, now is the time to do just that. See the country, meet the people, feel the diversity all around you and learn the dialects of the regions of the nation. After you have seen the rest of the country - at least 25 of the 50 states, THEN you can choose to settle somewhere and have a bundle of memories of the experience to share.

Yeah great advice! I have been to about 27 states and really think it helps you to appreciate the state you are in and the differences that make FL and other states unique. For instance, I think Florida has by far the best beaches in the US but it also makes me aware of what else is out there and what FL lacks or needs to make it better. There are some other much more scenic states, some with much more cosmopolitan cities with culture and history, there are places with much more education and different political beliefs and priorities. Overall I enjoy Florida's tropical feel, winter weather and great entertainment options, but I do love to travel and get around at the same time. I am fortunate to have family in Washington State and friends in various other places whenever I need to escape the tropics!

I definitely second the advice to see and experience life outside FL to be more well-rounded, and it makes for great memories and experiences at the same time!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 AM

8,178 posts, read 17,211,653 times
Ok since you mentioned a gradual pulling away from PC, Orlando might just be a good choice to start with.
Yes the diversity is for real. Unless you choose to interact with the tourists, their comings and goings really won't affect you.
I would suggest renting to start, see if Orlando is a good fit. Then try Tampa, Atlanta, Jacksonville or any big city to the north.
Life is short but you're still young. Get out and explore this country of ours. Take a risk!

Old 07-22-2008, 12:43 PM

34 posts, read 24,365 times
Questions...
1) I hear job salary/income isn't as great as it should be for Orlando. I'm currently a sub-contractor/web designer for a local company. It's weird the way it works...I can work on site, at home, and of course, as a freelancer across the world if I had to. Should I retain this job when I move to Orlando, keep it partime or be okay finding a new web design/print/media design job in Orlando? I'm an experienced designer with at least 5 years of professional practice and hopefully can find a position of similar pay as my current. For PC, it's unexpectedly a great paying career/profession job considering PC isn't known to be for the creative/design field. The cost of living is similar for both places from what I research but Orlando is more buy a few. Sorry if I'm ignorant, I have yet to research thoroughly on the career market/statistics in Orlando before asking this question.

2) What is dating life like for singles?

3) Is Winter Park/Oviedo really a great area to start living? That's the general consensus thus far based on my reading for newcomers of Orlando.

4) Is Orlando really that diverse of a people population? Or are these people actually tourists I'm seeing since it is a tourist city???

2. i would think pretty good, lots of singles here due to colleges. many probably stick around after college.
3. yes, winter park/oviedo/winter springs are nice areas.
4. people from all over the world live here, very diverse.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:00 PM

839 posts, read 1,547,258 times
Quote:

WHAT!?! An hour from either beach? Maybe travelling 150mph at 1am. I live in Winter Park and a trip to St. Pete Beach took 2 hrs 20 minutes with no stops. I averaged 70mph and there was very little traffic. Sometimes the Gulf Beaches can take three hours over in St. Pete /Clearwater. I don't like the east coast beaches much but one trip I made from Winter Park to Cocoa Beach took me just over an hour going 70 mph. I hope this information helps and gives you a more accurate picture. The Orlando area is VERY spread out.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,557 times
Hey everyone. Thank you for everyone's input. Very much appreciated.

Yes, i agree AliceT, I do want to move out to the northern and other cities from across the nation (hopefully I am able to overtime). I've had several talks with friends and co-workers/partners about them just simply saying "...man, just travel, travel, travel...you haven't seen anything yet and settle in after all said and done." But since I'm coming from a small town, I'm still partial to a "closer" move temoprarily, I want to start it off small with a move to a place and I think Orlando is it. I've visited a few times before but each time I go, I enjoy it more and more. It's still a huge place and I I've barely seen Orlando. So much to check out. Basically, small or incremental steps as Kali's Grandman mentioned above. I've considered parts of California and New Jersey but I think those places are too far at the moment, or at least, too drastic of a move for now. But sometimes just have to be daring as someone had also mentioned above.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando