Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:19 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
My son is 25 - employed in high tech field and makes 60+ in his first year after graduation. His mentor makes well into the six figures. DS was around 20+ an hour working in IT and/or software engineer while still in school at UCF.

Regarding teachers....our contract is for 40 weeks. Forty hours a week times 40 weeks is 1600 hours times 20 would be $32,000 a year. I don't know of any teachers in Orange or Seminole County making less than that now. If I'm not mistaken, starting salaries here for teachers is between $33,000 and $37,000. Experienced teachers make well into the $40Ks.

However, OP didn't ask for yearly salary....he asked for an amount per hour. While teachers put in many extra hours - they are paid for an 8 hour day - 40 weeks per year. That doesn't even count our 2 weeks off at Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving and other holidays. Those are paid vacations.

Sure, I could make more by working year round in another profession, but this is one reason I LOVE teaching. I've been off all summer!
Everybody hesitant about moving to Florida should listen to pianogal, making $60,000 to six figures per year your first year out of college is so easy,lol.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:40 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Everybody hesitant about moving to Florida should listen to pianogal, making $60,000 to six figures per year your first year out of college is so easy,lol.
DailyJournalist,

You're so positive. All kidding aside. No one should be fooling themselves. My impression overall if FL is one of the 'lower' paying states & it's not easy to earn a good living anywhere nowadays. Some seem to get better breaks than others I suppose. I know many skilled & highly educated folks struggling to make what some consider to be menial wages.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
DailyJournalist,

You're so positive. All kidding aside. No one should be fooling themselves. My impression overall if FL is one of the 'lower' paying states & it's not easy to earn a good living anywhere nowadays. Some seem to get better breaks than others I suppose. I know many skilled & highly educated folks struggling to make what some consider to be menial wages.
You are so right kingtodd. It is just that I meet so many professionals that leave great paying jobs up north because somebody in Florida told them the pay isnt that bad. And most end up having to take jobs paying super low salaries compared to what they were making. I just want people to be realistic.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:26 PM

81 posts, read 178,468 times
Seminole County: 16 years teaching experience with a masters degree $49,265

District I teach in, in NJ, 16 years with a masters $98,000

Florida does not pay teachers well.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:29 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
As I said, his MENTOR is making six figures plus. DS worked VERY hard for years...graduated at 25 rather than the usual 22 because he wanted several minors to prepare himself with the courses and experience that would make him highly desirable to potential employers.

The month before graduation he had 4 excellent job offers on the table - all of which paid 55+ and all but one of them in Florida, the other was in Baltimore. He actually did not accept the two jobs which offered him the highest salary because he would have had to move to Melbourne (Harris) or Baltimore (Northrup). He chose to stay here for a little less money in order to complete his graduate work at UCF.

However, I never said it was easy....it is not. It takes motivation, discipline, a LOT of hard work, a LOT of prayer and a good network of friends.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:35 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAboutTime View Post
Seminole County: 16 years teaching experience with a masters degree $49,265

District I teach in, in NJ, 16 years with a masters $98,000

Florida does not pay teachers well.
Florida is not on the high end of paying teachers - I never claimed it was. The OP was regarding $$ per hour.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,888 times
Question seems to be answered and this thread is getting a little off topic and personal so I am going to close it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando