Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 07:29 PM

12 posts, read 64,317 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what it would cost to move my one bedroom apt worth of furniture (bed wall, sectional couch, tv and dinning room) from NYC to Orlando Florida. Ballbark figure is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 07:25 AM

640 posts, read 3,074,863 times
Are you looking for do-it-yourself with a Uhaul truck or are you looking for a moving company? Moving companies will come out to your apartment and give you a free estimate. Get at least three estimates. They will do partial loads on their vans so it may be worth it to you to check into it with the price of gas and truck rental.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:13 AM

33 posts, read 99,150 times
Default High petrol costs

I moved here April of last year. I paid a little over $800 and that was with 3 large barrels, 17 boxes, a king size platform, king size mattress, and a 37" television. I gave away all of my things when I was moving down. It will cost you a pretty penny especially with the high cost of petrol.

I packed my computer, 2 stereos and speakers in the barrels with clothing.

By the way, try and have a job lined up before you come down. I have a graduate degree and I have yet to find a job. I am working under $25,000 yearly.

Good luck

Old 08-07-2008, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 15,816 times
I would never move to Orlando ,these days,,The schools sux for the kids,,The pay is way below national average,,The rent is high,,But if you look around lee vista area close to airport side and back side of metro west are not near kirkman road,,People are giving away FREE rent ,You just have to look, Like 99 moves you in and you get rent free, Some places are giving two months free in rent,,If you call aplace and they hit you with extra amintration fees,,Scap that place,,A lot of apts are waving those fees right now,,Chinese doll,,Are you from uk? americans do ot talk like you do,,Only brits say petro,,lol,,I agree with you,,I am a nurse,,I am looking for jobs out of floirda,,The salaries are not up to other parts of the nation,,BUT the cost of living is out of controll in orlando,,It is expensive to live here,,If you do not make a decent wage,,You can not pay decent apartment,,The crime is out fo controll these days in certain areas of town,,mostly it seems like Pine hills area off of silverstar road,, and west coloian area..I enjoy the winters,, i dont think i can handle the snow any longer,,I would stay in Va area or mid west,,I am working real hard on getting out of orlando,,It is horrible the way the cost of living is here,,We have No RENT controll like most states do,,

Old 08-07-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesedoll View Post
I moved here April of last year. I paid a little over $800 and that was with 3 large barrels, 17 boxes, a king size platform, king size mattress, and a 37" television. I gave away all of my things when I was moving down. It will cost you a pretty penny especially with the high cost of petrol.

I packed my computer, 2 stereos and speakers in the barrels with clothing.

By the way, try and have a job lined up before you come down. I have a graduate degree and I have yet to find a job. I am working under $25,000 yearly.

Good luck
Thanks for the info, $800 is not as high as I thought it would be although i get your point about the cost of gas.

By the way, I do have a job lined up, with a pretty decent salary, around 52k base and around 60k after OT. I am taking a paycut from six figres in NYC, but I am soooo tired on the New York winters.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:44 PM

541 posts, read 1,994,865 times
In 2004 it cost us about $3,500 to move a studio apartment from MA.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:07 PM

33 posts, read 99,150 times
Thumbs up Paycut

I did take more than a pay cut but I hope to find something soon to make up for the lost. As far as I know, FL is one of the lowest of the low when it comes to salaries. The good thing howerver is the fact that there is no city tax. Nevertheless, it is extremely difficult to make it on $25,000 yearly when gas is going up, mortgage, land tax, amenities, Home Assoc. fees, etc.

I'm glad you have a job lined up with a decent salary. Try and save as much of it if you can.

Good luck!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesedoll View Post
I did take more than a pay cut but I hope to find something soon to make up for the lost. As far as I know, FL is one of the lowest of the low when it comes to salaries. The good thing howerver is the fact that there is no city tax. Nevertheless, it is extremely difficult to make it on $25,000 yearly when gas is going up, mortgage, land tax, amenities, Home Assoc. fees, etc.

I'm glad you have a job lined up with a decent salary. Try and save as much of it if you can.

Good luck!

I heard there no State tax, right?

Old 08-08-2008, 08:01 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,510 times
No state taxes on our personal income but we do have property taxes and sales taxes among others. Here's a link to the Florida Department of Revenue that can give you more info: FL Dept Rev - Learn about specific taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: