Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:12 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesedoll View Post
I am from New York and in New York when you get an interview you are usually told right away or within a week as to whether or not you got the job. Here, my experience has been different. I get the interviews. They then tell me that I will be contacted or that I should contact them (perspective employer). Well guess what people, I have tried tirelessly to get feedback as to whether or not I got the job(s) and all I get is the run around. Why do they do that?/

I have also noticed that I am only the one (female) going on interviews in pumps, stockings, and a dark suit with minimal makeup. Am I doing something wrong here?

I am in social service with a graduate degree and NOTHING!
Positive feedback please. I am desparate
Don't be shocked at the lack of call backs. This is how it is in Florida. Realtors, utility companies, furniture stores, all the same they don't call back. I was semi offered a job with a MAJOR company last November and still waiting for the class start date. And I just left the same "type of" company in December and am applying for exactly the same job ha ha. Extremely qualified, I could be productive in 5 days versus a 6 month class for "off the street".... it doesn't matter. Also they'd have to start me high and can lowball young kids at a third of the salary so I'm assuming that's the real reason.

I would change the suit to more Florida although it's not in my nature, either. But try it. I haven't seen a single person wearing a suit in the 4 months I've been living here. My corp neighbor goes to work in khakis and an oxford shirt no tie. Dunno about women's corp attire here though. If you're outdressing the interviewer, change it ha ha.

Are you putting a salary requirement in there? If so, remove it.

Also, IME, not in Fl, just in general, several jobs are already wired for a pre-selected candidate but the organization is required to do X amount of interviewing anyway. But they already know who they're going to hire. Sometimes they write the job ad so that it's tailored to the pre selected candidate so they come out "most qualified". I had a job myself that was written in such a way that I was the only person who could fill it before our HR dept caught on LOL.

If you're dealing with private agencies like hospitals you may have a better shot at a PUBLIC organization, just a theory.

Make sure your resume is written exactly addressing each job not vague, too.

Are you following up and they aren't taking your calls?

Good luck, it's tough out there. My corp neighbor went from 6 figures in New Hampshire to 12.00 an hour selling WATER and has to drive 1.25 hours to his "territory".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 AM

33 posts, read 99,185 times
Thanks to those who gave positive comments. I really appreciate it all.

I know the economy is terrible but when you are prescreened, given an interview and then handed a card with phone numbers and email addresses and perspective employers tell you to contact them you will get your hopes up a tad bit. Yet when you call, NOTHING!

All my interviews seemed positive except for one. From the demeanor of the woman who greeted me at the door, I could tell I was not going to be called back. She appeared distant (stand-off-ish), didn't smile throughout the interview, asked little to no questions. I was also being interviewed tele-conference with someone in the corporate office whom by the way was the one who recommended me for the position and while we never laid eyes on each other, she appeared relaxed and interested in what I had to say. I called a friend of mine after the interview and I told her I had a feeling that I would not get the job and I was right in thinking that.

Anyways, I will continue to stretch my wings and keep on keeping on. I have no intentions of returning up North (love the weather here, the pace, the environment, etc.). Besides, I have nothing or anyone to go back to so this is my home. I just need a break to get myself going.

Thanks guys

Old 08-11-2008, 09:34 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesedoll View Post
Thanks to those who gave positive comments. I really appreciate it all.

I know the economy is terrible but when you are prescreened, given an interview and then handed a card with phone numbers and email addresses and perspective employers tell you to contact them you will get your hopes up a tad bit. Yet when you call, NOTHING!

All my interviews seemed positive except for one. From the demeanor of the woman who greeted me at the door, I could tell I was not going to be called back. She appeared distant (stand-off-ish), didn't smile throughout the interview, asked little to no questions. I was also being interviewed tele-conference with someone in the corporate office whom by the way was the one who recommended me for the position and while we never laid eyes on each other, she appeared relaxed and interested in what I had to say. I called a friend of mine after the interview and I told her I had a feeling that I would not get the job and I was right in thinking that.

Anyways, I will continue to stretch my wings and keep on keeping on. I have no intentions of returning up North (love the weather here, the pace, the environment, etc.). Besides, I have nothing or anyone to go back to so this is my home. I just need a break to get myself going.

Thanks guys
You have to keep trying, maybe get a temp job like (McDonalds, Taco Bell) to hold you over. This is life in Orlando. Eventually you will find a job in your field.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:37 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
She is more than entitled to try and find work as a transplant. What is she not suppose to look for work in order to help out the local's??? That's what you seem to be implying here.

My advise to you, Chinesedoll would be try switching up your approach, try several different flavor's of your resume & of course don't give up. It always helps to know someone. Do you have any family or close friends here?
Of course she is...my point was more to the effect of, don't get your panties in a bunch....

And, since FL is to freaking transient, she might want to take that into consideration, because it could be another factor that you wouln't even think about in considering the hiring process....

Chill out.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,148 times
I am originally from nyc. I'm so glad to get out of there. The traffic, garbage, cold winters, jacked up prices of everything & rude people finally help me make my move to Orlando. I lucked out & got a high paying job in Orlando after searching for a while. I love it here. In Orlando & both coasts, I go jet-skiing, beaches, para-sailing, waterparks, etc. Hang in there! You'll love it here. I should have called myself the "big chinesedude from nyc"

Last edited by Big John C; 08-11-2008 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: forgot to add a line

Old 08-11-2008, 06:32 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Of course she is...my point was more to the effect of, don't get your panties in a bunch....

And, since FL is to freaking transient, she might want to take that into consideration, because it could be another factor that you wouln't even think about in considering the hiring process....

Chill out.
Consider me chilled out

Old 08-12-2008, 10:48 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John C View Post
I am originally from nyc. I'm so glad to get out of there. The traffic, garbage, cold winters, jacked up prices of everything & rude people finally help me make my move to Orlando. I lucked out & got a high paying job in Orlando after searching for a while. I love it here. In Orlando & both coasts, I go jet-skiing, beaches, para-sailing, waterparks, etc. Hang in there! You'll love it here. I should have called myself the "big chinesedude from nyc"

Welcome To Orlando and enojoy

Old 08-13-2008, 12:06 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
We have a Kohl's opening in the Bradenton/Sarasota area.

For 150 positions, there were over 1,000 applications.

This is why work is hard to find and employers do not call back. Unfortunately, they don't need to...the competition for even the lowest paid positions is just out of hand.

Best wishes to everyone job hunting! Make sure you're up for the hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando