Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:04 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2fish View Post
"That doesn't sound rampant to me."

visit any new community in orlando. it is rampant. a lot are renting out their homes now, which doesnt always bring the best of neighbors (again, visit any new subdivision/community).

i'd say one out of 10 homes in my subdivision are foreclosures. not sure what your definition of "rampant" is, but 10% foreclosure rate is pretty bad.
I take back what I said like2fish (nice name ). Yeah...10% is indeed rampant. That's pretty bad.

Carlos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
If you are honest, reliable, and responsible...
I am honest to a fault. Honest! . I wouldn't steal so little as a single US penny from an employer. It would bother my conscience terrible such that I would have to confess it and give it back. I kid you not. I am a committed Christian.

Very reliable and very responsible (been running my own business for going on 4 years).

Quote:
However, your living situation would concern me. Overnight parking is illegal in public places here. Where would you park your truck?
Employers will never know I live in my truck. I've worked for employers before. Once I worked for one for a whole year while living in a tent in the local woods, way back - in Florida LOL.

Where I park my truck will have to be my concern and I will have to deal with the city authorities on that one. I -will- give employers an address like any other address (I will rent a suite # from a UPS Store or otherwise) and they will never know I live in my truck. It won't be an issue.

Quote:
Most employers require references and a home address. Perhaps a mail box would suffice. But you would need references.
Ah...the ol' reference thing. Problem is that I have been self-employed for going on 4 years. Don't have any real references to speak of - employment wise. That might be a problem. Hopefully someone will see my face and immediately recognize my honesty, reliability, and responsibility. You know...a good judge of character type of manager. Don't know how else I can get around that one...I mean I will be coming from a foreign country after all.

I'm getting older so it may no longer be easy but there was a day not too long ago when I would look employers in the eye, shake their hand firmly, and say something like "I'm your man!" and I would end up with jobs. That was ten years ago.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I'll have to think about what you have said.

Carlos

Old 08-12-2008, 04:45 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
I am honest to a fault. Honest! .
I'm getting older so it may no longer be easy but there was a day not too long ago when I would look employers in the eye, shake their hand firmly, and say something like "I'm your man!" and I would end up with jobs. That was ten years ago.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I'll have to think about what you have said.

Carlos
Carlos, I'm not trying to discourage you, if I had known you were 50 before I wrote that post, I wouldn't have written it exactly as I did. For some reason, I assumed you were a young kid out to 'try out the world.' You and I are about the same age...we've 'been around the block' a few times and have accumulated some street smarts and wisdom.

Unfortunately, the way the world is today, there's not enough honest people with integrity. The ones that have it stand out from the rest. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Unfortunately, the way the world is today, there's not enough honest people with integrity. The ones that have it stand out from the rest. I'm sure you'll do just fine.
Thanks pianogal. Yeah...I know what you mean about the lack of integrity. That's one of the reasons I have worked for myself. I got so tired of having pressure put on me to do the wrong thing by customers, the law, or otherwise.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of jobs I have had where the bosses were fair, the customer was treated right, and they operated with integrity.

Among those I have tried:

- company wanted me to package up computer equipment as though it was new to sell as new, after it had been rented out; NOPE, I quit.
- company wanted me to copy Microsoft Windows and give it away for free on in-house built computers; NOPE, I quit.
- company wanted me to produce computer software quick and dirty to get it out to market faster than it should have been produced; NOPE, I changed to piece work for web development.
- company wanted me to keep selling thousands of dollars of ineffective advertising to a poor customer who was complaining to me about how the advertising had not worked out for them; NOPE, I quit.
- company didn't like the fact that I was complaining about violations of food laws and that I was concerned about giving food poisoning to retired customers - a restaurant; NOPE, I was fired for made up reasons. Still mad about that one when I think about it.

Come to think about it, that's another reason I don't have good references. Can't use most of the companies I have worked for as references - none of them are going to say they did the wrong thing by me and that I was a great, honest employee LOL. Well some would but they were so long ago, they wouldn't count for anything.

I just don't put up with baloney. In the job market I guess that's a negative since there seems to be so much of it around.

Heck...I've even had other employees get mad at me for wanting to work as hard as I can for my big boss in heaven while working for my earthly boss. Because it makes them look bad!

On and on it goes. Ridiculous. Ain't there nobody that operates with integrity these days? I mean why would companies resort to such shenanigans if they have a good product they are offering at a fair price.

In my business I tell my customers if I so much as scratch their brickwork! I have NEVER had such an approach backfire on me. Customers have always been more than understanding.

Carlos

Last edited by carlos123; 08-12-2008 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Added a sentence....

Old 08-12-2008, 06:11 PM

119 posts, read 112,646 times
"I am honest to a fault. Honest! . I wouldn't steal so little as a single US penny from an employer. It would bother my conscience terrible such that I would have to confess it and give it back. I kid you not. I am a committed Christian."

you sound like an awesome dude, carlos. good luck to you and keep us updated.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:17 PM

Thanks very much like2fish! If I really go through with this move and come to Florida it will be in no small part to encouragement that I have received on this forum. Ya all have been wonderfully patient and understanding.

Carlos

Old 08-12-2008, 07:18 PM

119 posts, read 112,646 times
i am glad we could help carlos.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:55 PM

185 posts, read 652,755 times
I don't know anyone who has foreclosed on a home. One gal I met out in the parking lot of Wal-Mart with a bundle of boxes told me that this was the 5th. time in a year she had to move. The landlords didn't tell the tenants that the building they lived in was in forcloser. Nice just pocket a few months rent kick the tenants out. I told her to go down to the courthouse and find out what places that rent are in forcloser, before plankin down a dime of hard earned money. DISGUSTING!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:28 PM

33 posts, read 99,163 times
In response to the question:
"Do you know of anyone who has lost their home?"

No, but I am about to lose mine if I don't find another job soon.

By the way. My area of expertise is in social service. I cannot find a job as a case worker and even though I am willing to do direct care (i.e. showering, bathing, feeding, etc. mentally and retarded people), no one will hire me for these positions when they look at my resume.

Any suggestions on how I can "dummy down" my resume?
I do not want to lie because lies tend to come back and haunt us but once they see that I have a graduate degree in Human Service, there goes the job to someone else.

I currently work $12 hrly and I am willing to work another job @ the same rate to make ends meet but I simply cannot get the call(s) from prospected employees.

Also, I am from NY and we tend to wear suits to interviews. I have yet to see anyone down here doing such. I am female so can anyone give me suggestions on how to dress for interviews here. Should I ditch the suits and stockings all together?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:34 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesedoll View Post
In response to the question:
"Do you know of anyone who has lost their home?"

No, but I am about to lose mine if I don't find another job soon.

By the way. My area of expertise is in social service. I cannot find a job as a case worker and even though I am willing to do direct care (i.e. showering, bathing, feeding, etc. mentally and retarded people), no one will hire me for these positions when they look at my resume.

Any suggestions on how I can "dummy down" my resume?
I do not want to lie because lies tend to come back and haunt us but once they see that I have a graduate degree in Human Service, there goes the job to someone else.

I currently work $12 hrly and I am willing to work another job @ the same rate to make ends meet but I simply cannot get the call(s) from prospected employees.

Also, I am from NY and we tend to wear suits to interviews. I have yet to see anyone down here doing such. I am female so can anyone give me suggestions on how to dress for interviews here. Should I ditch the suits and stockings all together?
Have you tried the Office of the Public Defender in Downtown Orlando, next to the courthouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando