U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:26 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,055,026 times

Advertisements

I have read and heard lots about how bad things are economically in the States in general and in Florida specifically but was wondering if anyone posting here personally knew of someone who lost their job and their home?

I mean are people lining up at soup kitchens? Has it gotten that bad? Is it another great depression?

I don't know what to make of all the hearsay I hear. You would think the world has caved in sometimes but other times I walk away from what I hear and read wondering if things are a bit exaggerated when people say things are bad.

I mean people still got to eat and go to the bathroom and drive to the neighborhood grocery store and do their laundry and other such things which still require grocery clerks, and cleaning people, and automechanics, and a whole host of other jobs.

I am mostly interested in the low end jobs. I don't care about professional jobs for myself - the kind of jobs that come and go and are so frequently affected by a bad economy. I am interested in knowing the job prospects for dishwashers, bus boys, hotel clerks, maids, chauffers, bus drivers, and the like. Has the economy gotten so bad that even such bottom level, non-professional jobs, are tough to get?

If it is that bad...what does a person do in Florida when they run out of money? I mean a single person who is able bodied and willing to work anywhere - as long as it is legal and ethical I mean .

Carlos

Last edited by carlos123; 08-11-2008 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Added sentence...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 02:34 PM

5,969 posts, read 8,735,122 times
I personally know 4 people that have foreclosed. I don't think you will have a problem finding a low-wage job in Orlando Florida, we are the national kings of low-wage work,lol.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:21 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,924,595 times
I don't know anyone who has lost their home, but I do know there are a lot of foreclosures. Obviously, some folks have found themselves in this situation. The problem is that it's hard to tell which foreclosures are investors in over their heads, people who paid little to nothing down and now just walk away because they can rent cheaper...i.e. it's no longer a good deal for them, etc.

I do notice that a majority of the homes on the foreclosure list that I receive daily are newer homes in newer communities. This leads me to believe that a large majority are investors or those who probably overpaid for their home and now have little to nothing to lose by walking away or who have to move due to job relocation, etc. and just can't sell their home. I have no evidence or statistics...just personal observation.

I would not recommend moving down for a service related job. It would be very difficult to make ends meet here on the $$ you would make from that kind of job. Perhaps you have other income you are bringing with you.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:20 PM

Hi pianogal,

Thanks for your input.

Yeah...I think overall that someone who buys a home to actually live in it and not as an investment (at least not primarily so) will be more likely to stay in that house and not loose it (unless they loose their job I guess).

Quote:
I would not recommend moving down for a service related job. It would be very difficult to make ends meet here on the $$ you would make from that kind of job. Perhaps you have other income you are bringing with you.
So I take it that I can find dishwashing, busperson, and the like jobs? Relatively easily?

It's not that I have a nest egg or something. It's that I am self-employed as a window cleaner normally. Thinking of selling everything I have in Canada and hightailing it back to Florida (lived in Melbourne for ten years).

Gots to get out of the cold.

Also...as soon as I can I will buy a UPS style cargo truck and convert it into a one bedroom apartment and live in it. I have been living in my vehicle in Canada (winters and all) for close to four years and at this point in time I would never trade my life and time to make the money to pay the outrageous rents that are often found in places, just for a roof over my head.

If I can get a cheap job (say $7-8 an hour x 40 hours a week) I can add to my savings. Otherwise it would be tough. I need to save a good $1000 or $2000 that together with my existing savings I can use to buy an old but good UPS style truck. At which point I would go back into window cleaning and quit my dead end job (though I might have work at it for 6 months to save that much on the low wage).

Carlos

Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM

119 posts, read 99,562 times
i dont know anyone in my family or friends, but my neighborhood likes like foreclosure paradise. my neighbor's gone, another family down the street (i hear) is about to foreclose, and others too i'd imagine.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:36 PM

That doesn't sound rampant to me.

I know someone was kicked out of their apartment where I live. Another person who was beat up. But that doesn't mean that crime is rampant or that many people are liable to get kicked out of their apartments.

I mean it's bad. Don't get me wrong.

But if you consider that there might be all of 30 neighbors on your street...having 2 that are foreclosed doesn't sound as bad as it might seem when reading various threads. A lot depends on the kind of neighborhood you are in too.

Don't know. I guess I will have to move back to see for myself.

Hopefully there will be enough people still in houses with enough discretionary income that I will get some to pay me for window cleaning .

Carlos

Old 08-11-2008, 06:26 PM

"That doesn't sound rampant to me."

visit any new community in orlando. it is rampant. a lot are renting out their homes now, which doesnt always bring the best of neighbors (again, visit any new subdivision/community).

i'd say one out of 10 homes in my subdivision are foreclosures. not sure what your definition of "rampant" is, but 10% foreclosure rate is pretty bad.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:36 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,924,595 times
If you are honest, reliable, and responsible - I don't think you would have any problem finding and keeping a service related job here. I know several managers and business owners and one of the biggest challenges they face is finding good employees.

However, your living situation would concern me. Overnight parking is illegal in public places here. Where would you park your truck? Most employers require references and a home address. Perhaps a mail box would suffice. But you would need references.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just bring up some things you may want to consider in advance.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:36 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,081,015 times
I think it is getting close to "rampant" (defined as "wide spread) and not just with homes that were bought by investors. In my neighborhood there is a street that every other home has been foreclosed and I am seriously not over-exaggerating. It is very sad. One of the families bought their home last year and were so proud. They took pictures outside of it when they moved in and took great care in their yard. I do not know what lead to them not being able to afford their home but no matter what it was it is still sad and unfortunate and make me feel very grateful for what I have.

As far as lower end paying jobs then you would not have a horrible time finding a job.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:43 PM

good luck carlos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>