Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 PM

62 posts, read 454,049 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am 17 years old and I am going into my Junior year in high school. My family and I live in Massachusetts. My brother is going to be a Senior this year at UMass, and my family and I were thinking that after my brother graduates college, I will be entering my Senior year in high school. We could buy a home in Orlando, FL and move down there, and I could go to high school down there for my Senior year, and that would also mean that we are residents for 12 months which would mean that we would qualify for in-state tuition. Also, my parents said that living in Florida is a lot cheaper than it is in Massachusetts. Has anyone moved from Massachusetts to Florida? How much cheaper is it? Does this sound like it is a good idea? Has anyone done anything like this before? Any feedback... please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:52 AM

10 posts, read 104,207 times
I believe Fl is cheaper to live in. Your 1-year plan for getting in state tuition will probably work also. You then might be elligible for the standard Florida academic scholarship (Bright Futures). UCF is a good school that is getting better every year. I fully encourage you to come to UCF.

The thing that most people have the problem with here (from out of state college friends) is the area. A lot of people don't like Orlando or Florida in general. I recommend taking a trip to the area and seeing it the campus and surrounding area is something that you would like. Also have your parents check out the potential housing communities around the area (Oviedo, Waterford lakes are nice areas that are close). Most of all, be prepared for the Florida summer which last from March to November every year!

Old 08-15-2008, 06:04 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,250 times
I don't think Florida living is any cheaper than anywhere else. Don't make a move with that assumption; too many have fallen into that trap.

Also, make sure that if anyone needs a job, that is lined up in advance. Jobs, especially good paying jobs, are in very short supply in Florida.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:08 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times
I was going to mention Bright Futures too. If you maintain a 3.0 GPA, they will pay 75% of your tuition for four years. If you have a 3.5 GPA and get a decent score on the SAT, then they will pay 100% for four years. Of course, you have to attend college in FL, but it's really worth it. The tuition is alot less down here than up north too.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:24 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,315 times
UCF is a great school. If you don't mind moving for your senior year and have good grades....can qualify for Bright Futures...it is a great deal. Just make sure you move into an area with one of the better high schools.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:59 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,033 times
I think it is a good move for someone in your situation. Having attended schools in both Florida and Mass the one thing that Florida definitely had over Mass is public college options. I heard alot of people complaining about how UMass was the only option and even than it was nearly as expensive as some of the private schools. I actually knew people who attended schools outside of Mass because the out of state tuitions in some states was cheaper than in state at UMass.

The great thing about Florida university system is the options in Florida, I believe we have over 9 public universities now that can offer just about anything your looking for (if I remember correctly there were only 2 UMass Campuses, Boston and Amherst). This means you will likely have a good chance of getting accepted to one of our public colleges. Also chances are if you were educated in Mass and did well there you will well in the Florida public school system and likely able to get a scholarship on top of the already cheap tuition. If I were in your position I would seriously consider making the move. Not to show my true colors, but I think the best thing about the move it that you could apply for THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA and become a member of GATOR NATION. GO GATORS!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,008 times
What is your intended degree?

Old 08-19-2008, 04:07 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,554,653 times
I dont think that leaving a state like Mass. with such a excellent reputation for schools and colleges is wise. Yes college may be cheaper in Florida, but you get what you pay for!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I was going to mention Bright Futures too. If you maintain a 3.0 GPA, they will pay 75% of your tuition for four years. If you have a 3.5 GPA and get a decent score on the SAT, then they will pay 100% for four years. Of course, you have to attend college in FL, but it's really worth it. The tuition is alot less down here than up north too.
Just out of curiosity, who funds this Bright Futures program? We don't have anything like this in Mass.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:18 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,280,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Just out of curiosity, who funds this Bright Futures program? We don't have anything like this in Mass.
It is funded by the earnings from our Lottery System. I think it is a great program and used it while I was in school even though I went to a private college. It works at both public and private although it is just a drop in the bucket for the later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando