Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,028 times

Advertisements

Kyle seems to have more of an issue with American culture and Disney as an expression of that culture than with Disney itself. The 'Europe' he idolizes isn't really in existence any more...most of their great cultural buildings are just tourist attractions -- financially the only way to keep them going -- with gift shops and 'themes'. It's been that way for a long time. Take an Imperial City walking tour with a headset and you'll hear acted-out scenes from history. More people go to Oxford and Cambridge for Harry Potter than ever went for Sir Issac Newton. Even people who live in historic buildings don't want to live in the past.

As for Americans constantly texting, computer gaming, tv and movies, we are no better or worse in this regard than any other nation. Have you ever been to Japan? They make us look like yokels when it comes to being 'plugged in' 24/7. Everywhere you go these days you see white ear-buds...most of the world does nothing without music -- loud or otherwise -- in their background. I remember seeing a guy on a water buffalo in Chengdu with them (the guy, not the buffalo).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Kyle seems to have more of an issue with American culture and Disney as an expression of that culture than with Disney itself. The 'Europe' he idolizes isn't really in existence any more...most of their great cultural buildings are just tourist attractions -- financially the only way to keep them going -- with gift shops and 'themes'. It's been that way for a long time. Take an Imperial City walking tour with a headset and you'll hear acted-out scenes from history. More people go to Oxford and Cambridge for Harry Potter than ever went for Sir Issac Newton. Even people who live in historic buildings don't want to live in the past.

As for Americans constantly texting, computer gaming, tv and movies, we are no better or worse in this regard than any other nation. Have you ever been to Japan? They make us look like yokels when it comes to being 'plugged in' 24/7. Everywhere you go these days you see white ear-buds...most of the world does nothing without music -- loud or otherwise -- in their background. I remember seeing a guy on a water buffalo in Chengdu with them (the guy, not the buffalo).
It's not just Japan. I think it's a law in Italy that people own a cell phone and have it up to their ear at all times. Everything from teens to 80 year old grandmothers out doing the shopping. Cell phone in one hand, cigarette in the others, steering the Vespa with their knees. I'm not making that up...

Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM

511 posts, read 854,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
People who only aspire to pure intellect are boring. People who refuse to seek knowledge and culture are stupid. Someplace in the middle is a person who is intelligent and enjoys their life.
Gosh I'm agreeing again!! What's the world coming to!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:48 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post

Disney is a major contributor to the new American "culture", do you not get that??? Neatly sanitized and not too much to think about. Furthermore your well thought out (not) analysis of Europe and the rest of the world follows a similar theme of generalization. I'm sure most EU residents would find your sweeping opinion based upon a couple of instances at best unfortunate as Harry Potter aside there is quite a bit more historically speaking to talk about. Lastly your quaint travel stories extolling the acceptance of hi tech gadgetry around the world does nothing to dismiss this country's inability to separate from it. At the end of the day most of the rest of the world values it's traditions and cultures, unlike here in the US.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
At the end of the day most of the rest of the world values it's traditions and cultures, unlike here in the US.
Utter nonsense....The stories I could tell you about some other countries so called "cultures" & "values" ....Worse then Medieval still in the 21st century..

Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
Utter nonsense....The stories I could tell you about some other countries so called "cultures" & "values" ....Worse then Medieval still in the 21st century..
Yes....there are "some", however there are "many" with cultures and values....which is the point. Distracting with a few random examples doesn't do much for your argument.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Quote:
Lastly your quaint travel stories extolling the acceptance of hi tech gadgetry around the world does nothing to dismiss this country's inability to separate from it. At the end of the day most of the rest of the world values it's traditions and cultures, unlike here in the US.
Don't see it Kyle. Most European countries are struggling to keep their identies due to declining birth rates and immigration. We are a nation of immigrants.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:10 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,028 times
Really, dude, there's no reason to get personal or angry. Whatever your opinion of Europe or world culture is, it is no more specific than mine. Your generalizations simply go in a different direction -- thinking elsewhere is better. I think everywhere is about the same when it comes to human beings and their relationships to technology.

Yes, I do know that Disney has had an effect on world culture...it's why a) WDW and Disneyland remain some of the top spots for International visitors, b) it has locations in different countries, and c) it is successful. Is it idealized? Yes. Is it ideal? Certainly not. But something about Walt's vision works to make people feel hopeful and energized, not just here in the States but world-wide.

It's why I enjoy it so. Waiting in line with people from around the world -- I've never met a stranger at D'World -- one gets an interesting perspective on *their* reactions to WDW, based on their cultural background and understanding. I can talk to more people from different countries in half-a-day at Disney than in a week elsewhere (except maybe in NYC!) Having a common experience is a great way to foster international relations. Sometimes it takes no more than taking a picture for a family so they can have one all together...even if they don't speak English and I don't speak whatever they do. We each go home thinking, hey, that person was nice. And if more people thought other people were decent...what a fine world this could become.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Yes....there are "some", however there are "many" with cultures and values....which is the point. Distracting with a few random examples doesn't do much for your argument.
Random examples? Doesn't do much for your argument displaying your cultural ignorance & obvious naivety by suggesting their are only a "few random examples" to be had in a world as diverse as we live in...

Old 01-19-2013, 11:03 AM

68 posts, read 134,077 times
Why would anyone hate Disney? The parks are beautiful and so many options for things to do of all ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando