Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:26 PM

442 posts, read 2,912,865 times

Advertisements

Well Walmart was suppose to go where the Walgreens is now , however Avatar just wanted to lease them the land... at a horrible price...so they stayed away for a while .. and now they are in a crappy area to get to ...but of course they are doing big businees...
I am about ready to call the Coperate Hdqts for win dixxie and tell them what a horrible unfreindly store they have in poinciana...but see no one cares because they have a hold on the market.....i shop at the WD in Dundee now much better and they are always FULLY Stocked!....
Avatar are crooks...they have fought and fought with the counties about the "toll road" they did'nt want to put any money up for it ...but the County had put some sort of moretorium (sp) on building out here until the road is started!

Old 05-20-2007, 10:50 PM
SIW

1 posts, read 6,586 times
Cookie214, I do hope all the feedback you have recieved from persons listed are helpful to you. I mean if you can constitue your decision to move to this area souly on ignorance from listed members whom are upset for not investing well than sham on you I guess. Census gives you information on Poinciana, Florida. Just as a member mentioned there is crime everywhere and everyone is trying to get out and away from it. You can't blam families who strive to make better lives at fault. Some families become products of the enviorment because they let themselves become this way. We Puerto ricans are not born nor raised IGNORANT, Negativity like many listed above comments is how IGNORANCE IS BORN! Sounds to me like Saint Cloud would have been a better choice of living for them.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:24 AM

SIW
I love how you CLUMP all the PR together.. when if fact some of your own commerades are talking smack about PR...
There are thugs in all walks of life...and it is unfortunate that becasue of THE POPULATION in Poinciana that most who get blame are "Puerto Rican"..which i would have to say as my friends that are actaully from the island call them "New Youricans"

Old 05-21-2007, 05:45 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIW View Post
Cookie214, I do hope all the feedback you have recieved from persons listed are helpful to you. I mean if you can constitue your decision to move to this area souly on ignorance from listed members whom are upset for not investing well than sham on you I guess. Census gives you information on Poinciana, Florida. Just as a member mentioned there is crime everywhere and everyone is trying to get out and away from it. You can't blam families who strive to make better lives at fault. Some families become products of the enviorment because they let themselves become this way. We Puerto ricans are not born nor raised IGNORANT, Negativity like many listed above comments is how IGNORANCE IS BORN! Sounds to me like Saint Cloud would have been a better choice of living for them.

I have learned in life that life is what you make it and that misery loves company. We are all responsible for our ouw happiness and our own success.

I grew up dirt poor in a very bad area. I learned early in life that I did not want to live that way forever. I studied hard but could not afford college so I went to work. In time, student loans and grants became available and I worked my way through college. It took 11 years to complete my degree while working full time and raising a family after my husband died. I'm not great, special or have no special skills that others don't have but I do have a strong will to be the best I can be.

I've learned that some people have that kind of motivation and drive and some just don't. I never blame anyone for problems in my life, I just forged ahead the best I can.

For some, it's just easier to blame everyone and everything for their problems. Others just deal with what life brings them. I'm in the latter group. I recognize and accept that everyone is different. However, everyone is responsible for their own behavior and actions.

SIW, good post!
Cookie, good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:26 PM

7 posts, read 19,665 times
The crime in Poinciana is overstated. The majority of the people are very nice. Even the riff raff is not that bad. The sheriff is cracking down. They will not allow it to become a ghetto nor will the residents or Avartar. The only real concern is the distant between poinciana and kissimmee/orlando. AJ67 is correct BVL is not where you want to be even my pr friends dont like it.

Poinciana cool. Drive not

Old 05-28-2007, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,515 times
Smile I am happy in Poinciana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie214 View Post
We are thinking of moving to Poinciana/Kissimme, zip code 34759 Polk County.
Can you tell me the pros & cons of the area. Thinking of moving into the adult community called Solivita. Please help.
I have read through numerous posts ... and am in agreement with some and opposed to the rest. I have lived in Poinciana for 16 yrs. I am not but a mile from Solivita on the Osceola side. I moved here from NYC. I am white with Native American Indian and southern roots. I am a professional and commute to Orlando. It is still beautiful here and I DO NOT REGRET FOR ONE SECOND that I moved here - other than Avatar's APV (Association of Poinciana Villages) - they are a waste to me - our dues are in excess of what they do for us. I have been happy and I feel safe here. I would think that living in Solivita you will have your own HOA dues. LOL, I have friends that live on both the Polk and Osceola side ... they hate the "walls" as they have blocked their view of the landscape around here. I have to agree with them ... I don't like walls and don't feel we need them here. It's too "snooty" for lack of better words.

Yes, there has been a great influx of hispanics (and I want to add, they are not all Puerto Ricans or NYricans - they are also Mexicans, Cubans, Argentinian & Columbian). However, I do not feel as alot of the other posters that I have to speak Spanish ... although I wish my 5 yrs. of taking it in school (A on the Regents exam) would have allowed me to speak it fluently. I hate the term "NYricans" ... that is ignorant to me ... I am white from NYC ... what does that make me a "NY'rwhiter"????? Because we are from NYC doesn't make us any less than anyone else. All races come from different demographics. Those demographics contribute to how we are. If I had lived my early life in say Wisconsin I'd have a different attitude than I would having come from NYC. Where the hell are you from? Geez, hello people get a grip.

In all fairness, there are "rude and tough" people in every race, color, and sex. How you deal with them is your own challenge. I deal with them as I was brought up to do ... I am not afraid of any one race, color or sex ... I am more apt at treating people how they treat me, irregardless of their race, color or sex. And I will not let any one thing ...whether it be race, descrimination, sex, etc. etc. take that from me. I fight back. I am very tough and rude when the occasion calls for it ... I do not back down ... and yes, there have been times I've been hurt. Ultimately, I defend what is mine and close to me. I tend to talk/walk softly and carry a big stick. I don't care what any of you say ... that is the truth no matter where you come from.

Yes, there are those that choose to speak only spanish - America is an English speaking country, and I am a firm believer in keeping English as the national language, however I don't have a problem with any race speaking their own language. I was born in Germany - I speak very little German. One day I would love to learn Cherokee ... not, that I would speak it in public, I respect America's language - ENGLISH, but that is just me. I also read and speak Spanish ... not fluently, but I understand it. I also do not believe that we have to see signs in our supermarkets, banks, etc., etc. in Spanish, or call any of our institutions to hear "hit 1 for Spanish, 2 for English" .. I just don't believe that ... English is the national language here. This does annoy me.

I shop at the Wal-mart here in Poinciana and have yet to hear any spanish being spoken over the store intercom. A spanish speaking employee will speak spanish to a spanish customer at the register ... but, will speak english to me - I call this good customer service. I don't have a problem with that. Heck, it happens at the banks, Publix and the other retail stores we have out here too. And it doesn't only happen in Poinciana.

Geez, I went to the Bank of America here in Poinciana not to long ago ... now remember I stated earlier that I have had 5 yrs. study in spanish ... I can read and understand some of it ... I picked up a brochure .. printed in Spanish (because there were no English brochures out) ... the manager asked me if I'd like to make an appointment to discuss the brochure I picked up (he was Spanish and apparently saw me pick up a brochure) ... here goes ... I told him if you can put a supply of English brochures out here, I might be ready to discuss it with you. I was perturbed there were no English brochures in the bank ... My voice carries and I expressed to the Manager (and the entire bank), perhaps if there were English brochures here for me to read, I would have taken the time to discuss the brochure. Needless to say the manager himself went to the back of the bank and brought out English brochures. Further to say, I won't give that bank my business. It's a customer service issue ... it's not in any way a "racial issue". My opinion is this ..if you're going to solicit business from a multi-cultural community .. be sure you have the tools and collateral to do so. I'm very big on customer service.

I know during the 2004 hurricanes - all 3 of them (Charlie, Frances, Jeanne) this area was hit hard ... and all of my neighbors - hispanic, black and white, renters and home-owners pulled together to help each other out. There was no regard to race, who was renting or owned - we exhanged sweat, labor to cover roofs and windows, food, water, flashlights, batteries, tarps, plywood, pet food, etc. etc. to those that didn't have. What one didn't have the other did and we helpled each other out. It was people helping people out. It's a shame it takes a disaster for us to realize we are ALL human despite our differences. And we all spoke english to each other.

As far as the "gangs" out here ... I guess I'm naieve about it ...as I haven't seen any gang activity ... at least what I call "gang" activiity". I don't see any of the murders or rapes in this area that I have seen reported on the postings I've seen. Yes, I'm sure there is some of it going on ... however, I'm going to reiterate ... I have lived here for 16 yrs. and feel safe and am happy. I'm sure Poinciana has it's share of crime, but it is certainly not what Orlando has ... we have "wild teens" riding their "souped up cars" and cutting people off - which does cause alot of accidents, and some robbing houses when they should be in school ... hence, the "problem children", but, just call the deputies ... they're not called cops or police out here ... we live outside of the city limits.

The traffic problem is BIG TIME out here. AVATAR definitely did not plan for the growth of this community. And even though within the SOLIVITA Walls ... you think you're safer than any of those living in the villages around you ... you are not from the traffic or any "perceived" crime. You still have to come out to Cypress Pkwy. LOL, I know people that live on the Polk side that curse those "walls" ... it has taken from their view from the community. There are only 2 roads out here ... Cypress Pkwy./Pleasnt Hill Rd and Poinciana Blvd. This area has grown so much ... AVATAR did NOT HAVE A PLAN for it's expansion. And If AJ reads this, I'm curious to know about the toll road they're building on Marigold. They're building a new HS on Pleasant Hill Rd., that's going to be another additional traffic night-mare out here ... there aren't enough roads coming in and out of Poinciana to accommodate it's growth. Hence, AVATAR the developer is not and has not done a good job.

And, I agree with AJ ... AVATAR is useless ... and Poinciana has grown to the point that we need to be declared as a township. We need the county government to take Poinciana over and rid ourselves of AVATAR. I don't know how long AVATARs contract is or if they even have one ... I'm just naieve about that sort of thing. The HOA is APV (Association of Poinciana Villages) ... they do nothing for me as a home-owners association .. they didn't have a plan in place for Poinciana's growth. Especialy for the traffic patterns. Although living in Solivita ... you may have your own HOA. When I call APV (Avatar) in regard to a deed violation ... and ask them what they do ... it's just "bull****". They no longer have a security patrol ... which they did when I first moved down here ... 16 yrs. ago. The Deputies and Fire Dept. actually told me about 3-4 yrs. ago not to contact Poinciana Patrol as they were no longer insured to help resident's out. I didn't flinch over the cost of the HOA dues when I first moved down here ... as it included Poinciana Security Patrol.

Now all they do is peep and yes I'm dead serious "PEEP" over peoples fences and from the road in front of your house, and take pictures of what they call to be violations of the "deed of restrictions" ... i.e. overgrown lawn - 6", trash to include single boards no more than 1/4" store on the front side of your house wall, and lots' more ... ) Geez, a dear friend of mine drives a pick-up truck with a small traler hooked to it to haul lawn mowers or cars. He was parked in my driveway one day ... Sure enough the APV Police were out and wrote me a citation ... a trailer cannot be parked in your driveway, but it can be parked on the road for up to a maximum of 4 hours ... you need to notify us if this will happen ... HELLOOOO!!!!! A friend stops by with a trailer hooked up to his pick-up, parks in my driveway for a couple of hours and I need to tell you a friend is coming over with such a vehicle????? Hello!!!!! again ... he just stopped by to say hello and you APV would rather he park in the road for no more than 4 hrs. ... I say this ... his vehicle and trailer were safter in my driveway and did NOT BLOCK THE ROAD for the mail person or such to come by and then you tell me in the citation that I must clear it through you ... CLEAR A FRIEND STOPPIN BY ON A WHIM TO SAY HELLO ... I NEED TO CLEAR THROUGH APV ... AND HE HAS TO PARK IN THE ROAD NOT MY DRIVE WAY ,,, WHERE HELLOOO!!!! AGAIN HIS VEHICLE AND LITTLE TRAILER WOULD HAVE BEEN BLOCKING THE ROAD. K, this is why I pay my APV HOA dues. And when I call them and ask about it or complain about it ... they have no answer ... Because I do ask .. What are my dues paying for ... They have no answer for me other than the upkeep of the public grounds and when I ask them about my dues not going down since they no longer Security Patrol ,, they have no answer.
I've read the post about the "Osceola side" being the bad part ... lol, it's so ironic ... I live on the Osceola side and when I first bought my house ... I was told to stay away from the "Polk Side" as at the time I had planned to have children ... it just goes to show you ...you have to experience it for yourself. There is always going to be a difference of opinion.

Cookie ... 2 -3 days at a shot will not give you an idea of the neighborhood. That takes time ... alot more time than a 2-3 day visit. I don't think you made a mistake buying here.

I've also read the posts on the gangs ... well, here I guess I've got my head in the sand ... as I haven't seen or exprienced what I would call "gang trouble". I've heard about it through a dear friend ... he just worries to much about me. I can honestly say, I haven't seen it. My dear neighbors have asked me about it as they saw a clip on World mundo about Poinciana .. depicting the gangs out here. Gosh, they've lived right next door to me for about 10 yrs. now and haven't experienced it either ... and no they are not Puerto Rican or NYrican ... they are Argentinian/Cuban. They are the greatest neighbors. I have another hispanic (Nyrrican) neighbor who also asked me about it ... they have only been here for about 2 yrs. I told her the same thing. Neither of us has experienced it ... that is not to say going forward we won't ... I don't know. I'm over the Puerto Rican thing whether it is PR or NYRican ... as in any race there are good and bad ... my neighbors are jewels in my opinion. We all look after each other. I don't care that they are PR or NYRicans, Columbian, Cuban, etc., etc. They are good people trying to make a life for themselves and it's not by being in gangs.

In a nutshell, you're moving into Solivita ... I've never been within its gates ... I have no desire to be within gates - I'm just not a gate person. The good people of Poinciana, no matter what there race will welcome you. I do ... welcome new neighbor.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:19 PM

WFire.. Great Post.....
I agree with most of what you have said and i shall leave the rest to my self..Now as for The Toll Road its is "suppose" to start build sometime this yr..i heard that The two County govtments have told AVATAR to put up of shut up about the toll road it is suppose to start at the very end of marigold on osceola side , and go all the way to I 4 eventually.. but don't hold your breath because AVATAR is basially at war with the Govts out here..and AVATAR is the OWNER so to speak of Poinciana they are the origianl Developers of Poinciana after buying the land for Disney and some cattle Ranchers..so they WILL NOT be going away.....
I live on the polk county side and its so nice a peacfull over here...
There has been some gang activity over here but it is now under controll and basically gone...we had one Shooting last yr ended in Murder of a child ( 18) by another child (19) who is now in prison and was a GANG memeber...there was another murder in Poinciana on the polk side By two gang memebers who did not live in Poinciana but came from Bvl to smoke some Pot ...( as a person that has lived here for 16 yrs yuou must know that EVERYONE use to come to the "groves" to smoke and party" that is in Villege 7 , 8 and 10 where they are buliding now)
I truely think this is a great place BUT COULD be so much better if APV was gone.. and just for your info APV has nothing to do with the HOA...they are two differet entities...and Jeanette DO NOTHING Coughnour will be happy to tell anyone that and just what the APVS job is not...
I have seriously thought about this .....Have you seen the bumber stickers that say "NEXTEL SUXS"? well im thinking about getting some that say "APV SUCKS"..anyone else game?

Old 05-29-2007, 05:59 AM

so the punk kid that lives next to my neighbor stole my brand new Bike last night!...We called the cops...only because the kid is already on Probation for several thefts . iasked the Police officer , about the gang activity in the area .. he said the main ones are the bloods and the crips.. and they have apprently declared war ( meaning against themselfs).. but then he added that they arrested one of MANY gang memembers the other dayand they had him in the back of the patrol car and he was Craying like a damn baby...
so basically there just punk little kids with nothing better to do...how ever there has been alot of Burgularies around..and He urged all of us to contact police at any time when we see anything suspcious...and for anyone to call if you see Kids hanging around in Groups up to no good...
I have the Non emergencie number for polk county on speed dial in my cell phone I URGE all of you to do they same.. and lets get POINCIANA BACK!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:12 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,375 times
You will get so many different opinions on Solivita but my own experience has been a positive one. My concern is that we do not have a hospital close by. As for crime - I go out every day in this area & then on to Kissimmee & my biggest problem is with the crazy drivers - I haven't come across crime ( I know it's out there) but am careful not to out by myself late at night. True Spanish is the local language but I have found most people friendly. As for crime in the gated community itself; haven't heard of any problems.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:45 AM

16 posts, read 79,277 times
im thinking of moving to bella lago. does anyone know why theres so many houses up 4 sale in there? how is the crime in that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando