Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:27 PM

15 posts, read 117,251 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Poinciana/Kissimme, zip code 34759 Polk County.
Can you tell me the pros & cons of the area. Thinking of moving into the adult community called Solivita. Please help.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:42 PM

155 posts, read 284,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie214 View Post
We are thinking of moving to Poinciana/Kissimme, zip code 34759 Polk County.
Can you tell me the pros & cons of the area. Thinking of moving into the adult community called Solivita. Please help.
That are is not too bad. The big issue there is that if you don't speak Spanish, you will have a hard time getting a job or talking to people at grocery stores and etc.

We have a friend who lives in Polk County, near the border with Osceola County and she says people walk up to her at gast stations or Walmart and start speaking Spanish (and she is a natural redhead with blue eyes).

Tornadoes happen in Polk counuty too, so watch for that.

Overall, it's not bad. If you are not used to muggy/humid weather, then you will be shocked. It's 100% humidty everyday for 9 months, then it drops to 75% daily.

Also, summers here klast from April - Dec, starting the day at around 7am at 78 degrees going all the way to 90 - 105 (heat index) during teh day until about 7:00pm then cool down to 81 degrees (heat index at night).

The weather is the biggest downside. If you are moving here for that, you will be disappointed.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you for your input. I read other post about the area and many talk about the crime. Is it a big issue in this area?

Old 01-31-2007, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 21,046 times
Quote:
Thank you for your input. I read other post about the area and many talk about the crime. Is it a big issue in this area?
Crime is out of control in this area. We had more than 60 murders in the central FL area last year, and robberies and muggings happen non-stop.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:50 PM

442 posts, read 2,912,712 times
If you live behind the "WALL" you will be fine, you will have to come out to shop but thats about it...You really don;t need to know spanish, most people speak some English...all in all its not THAT BAD, Especially behind the wall...there is little crime in Solivita they have there own secuirty...There is Crime however in the Villeges which i where i live now on the polk county side...The Police are pretty good out there .BE WARNED>> AVATAR the developer REALLY SAYS ALOT AND DOES NOTHING>!!! i think that is the worst part about living out here have a "govt" that is a do nothing govt
traffic is the pits to..

Old 01-31-2007, 11:47 PM

WOW, that sounds scary. We live in Boynton Beach, FL (Palm Beach County). Now I'm not sure if it's a smart move to move there. Where is the Villeges - how far is it from Solivita?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:09 AM

it will be your Neighbor, Depends on what "section" of Solivita you will be in...there is the Main Solivita and now they have to sub divisons of Solivita and Building more. there happens to be a few people in Solivita From The same area as you are from.. Like i said, your basically behind a wall with 24 hour man secuirty gate in all sections...I would drive out here and look around for your self.. Its really nice, for the 55 and uppers...but usyounger folks ( i just truned 40 yesterdaylol) have to stick to the villeges...
the outs skirts of Poinciana are scary in the fact that its very unorganized!.. and thats Avatars Fault...but Solivita is very organized i know alot of people that live in Solivita and LOVE IT...

Old 02-01-2007, 09:02 AM

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:08 PM

67 posts, read 293,257 times
Quote:
WOW, that sounds scary. We live in Boynton Beach, FL (Palm Beach County). Now I'm not sure if it's a smart move to move there. Where is the Villeges - how far is it from Solivita?

Solivita is one thing because they only allow seniors and therefore you eliminate many of the problems with the area.but you have to come out from behind the walls sometimes.the rest of poincianna has very high crime (higher per capita than the rest of orland0)there are mant spanish gangs.there are 60,000 residents here and 47,000 of them spanish ,the typical house colors are quickley becoming pastel blue green and yellow.There are no side walks ,you are nine miles from the begining of anything ,except for 2 grocerie stores ,and 2 gas stations .there is a burger king and subway.There has been talk for years of a hospital ,post office (larger than the current one,if you are not there when they open you will be hours!)and moive thearter.but it all keeps going some where else like the four corners area.Builders will admitt behind closed doors ,why should we build anything in poincianna?it is a ghetto and the pricans love it for that.the schools will tell you that head lice is part of life here because the culture that makes the majority here dosent treat it.It is a pandemic here in the schools.about every 4 months a kid will get ran over and killed while riding his bike in the street ,then the parents will yell that avatar should put in sidewalks and it is avatars fault the kids get hit.(the parents should watch their kids,but dont and blame avatar,what does this tell you of those that live here?)tehre have been 3 murders this year already here ,all of them by pricans,dorset street by deerwood has formed a vigilante watch because in 2 weeks time 12 of the houses were burglerized.you wanna live like you are in a third world country move here.dont forget there are only 2 roads out of here and they are both 9 miles of nothing.those 9 miles in rush hour without wrecks will take 60 minutes+.and check your auto insurance rates they will double when you move here even if you come from miami cause they all wreck there cars here,the illegal problem is out of hand to the point that code enforcement has started kicking people out for turning their garages into apartments that house ,in one report 18 people while they wait movement to another part of the state>It a big no dont do it stay away.and even behind the walls is not a high class area ,yes its clean and it is full of nice people but as far as golf course areas go its way low onthe scale of niceness,you want nice country clubs got to volusia county ,gleen abey and debary golf and country club!DO YOUR RESEARCH PLEASE!

Old 02-02-2007, 09:28 AM

Ok i think TXLADY must live in Osceola county side, because its not that bad on the polk county side, Doreset Street Is on The Osceola side...and I have to tell you thats its not only spanish gangs but the bloods and the crips...and just so you know the at alot of the riff raff is coming via the way of BVL...which is 10 times worse then Poinciana...Its True most of the People in poinciana are Peurto Ricans, and some are ROUGH..but the majority are not, like i said before i know a few people that live in Solivita and love it.. but you do have to come out to go to the store...Crime has become really bad out here but i think the Sherif is getting a hold on it.. well lets just hope so...
BUt im moving any way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando