Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:49 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,477,769 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm sorry that Orlando wasn't a good fit for you, it's not for everybody.

Even tho I'm not even close to being rich, I am able to live in a very diverse neighborhood and have a good job.

I hope you find what your looking for.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:11 PM

7,705 posts, read 12,547,448 times
I know exactly where your coming from elle. My family is from Orlando, FL. Well anywhere in Florida actually (Cause we move around alot). They came here frin Haiti legally and everything but unfortunetly couldn't stay in Orlando because of the high cost of living! It was crazy. And what's even more crazier is that before they moved to Orlando, they came from San Bernadino, California! Which I thought would be even MORE expensive being in Cali and all. So yeah, I definitly understand where your coming from.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,760,246 times
Race isn't really an issue when it comes to jobs in Orlando, because EVERYONE gets treated like cattle. I'm a white, college-educated male and could never get a job that paid above $30k a year there. And some places I applied to had these awful group interviews where you weren't even treated like a person, just take your turn in line, listen to the low-paying offer, and take it or leave it regardless of your experience, intelligence, or education. And once you do accept an offer, you are just a number. Don't be a minute late or you are written up. And don't make any intelligent suggestions or you will be talked down to like a 5-year old. Don't like it, leave (and I had one boss who told everyone this during meetings). There are 1000 other suckers ready to take your place, and the employers know this.

But then add in the huge increase in the cost of living in Orlando over the last few years and it is virtually impossible to get by. How can someone making $8-$11 an hour afford $900+ a month rent? Why work your butt off while getting treated like dirt and still not be able to make ends meet? I left Orlando in 2006 and have never been happier.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:47 PM

41 posts, read 95,874 times
No, you are certainly not alone in how you feel about Orlando. I have family here that hate it, and those that like it. I dont really know anyone that actually "loves" it though, and for good reason.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned a lack of good jobs, high cost of living, rude people, high crime rate, and of course, the spanish thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellesoul View Post
Hi,

I'm a 21 yr old college student in Orlando, Fl and I am considering moving out of the not-so-sunshine-state. I have been here for the last 8 years. Needless to say, I hate it and I am ready for a new move.

These are why I want to move away from there. I know it's long but please read:

1)The job market in Orlando, Fl is virtually non- existent. I have been looking for a permanent fulltime since December of last year. I went 3 months looking for an admin job before something finally opened- a TEMP. I had a caucasion supervisor, and after learning all of the new material faster and knew it better than most of employess already there, I was notified less than 2 weeks later, on my way to work one morning, that the supervisor decided to let me go by my temp agency. And why? "Your supervisor states that you were failing to grasp the material." Which I knew was untrue, because training was supposed to last 4-6 weeks, but they were so impressed with my speed, I was placed on the floor in less than a week. But Florida, sadly is a right-to-work state. It didn't matter if it was true or not, an employer can decide to let you go for any stupid, trivial reason. It is now August 2008, and all I have managed to get are different temp jobs here and there. The cost of living is so high here and the wages they pay are so low. And most employers won't even look at you if you can't speak spanish!?! Which leads to my second reason why I want to move...

2) High cost of living+ low wage (or non existent job market) = High CRIME
The crime here has skyrocketed. With central Fl being inundated with hispanics (who refuse to learn english) and all the other people moving here thinking it's going to be better than where thay came from, it's just getting too congested. I am an African American female, and sadly I see that with a shrinking economy in Fl it's all the more tighter for minorities trying to get their foot in the door. In Orlando, it's sad to say, but it is very rare to see successful educated black people. There are too many thugs, vagabonds, and hoodlums taken over the streets. And Orlando, is no longer the safe place it used to be.

3) I would like a more positive environment. People here are rude, heartless, and impersonal. And there's a slight but subtle racism. You have to catch it though... Communities are either all black (low income, ghetto, hood) or all white. I don't think of myself as any better than anybody, I love meeting and talking to people from all ethnic socio-economic backgrnds. But in Orlando, things feel all too divided and seperated.

Is it just me or does it seem extremely difficult to meet decent people and make new friends? Even the dating scene is lifeless. Not like I'm out there desperate for a man, but you it is very rare to meet men that have some level of class and education.

4) The public transportation here absolutely SUCKS! if you don't have a car here you are literally stranded or you're forced to depend on people and constantly ask people for rides. I see too many kids, even young mothers with babies in their hand waiting for the sorry Lynx bus at night which only runs ONCE AN HOUR AFTER 6pm and on the WEEKENDS.??!

I would like to be in a lively city that's rich in it's culture and it's heritage. Where I can actually see people (and my people) striving for success. And also a city that thrives on diversity. I want to be in a place where I can be proud to call home.

Orlando is definitely not the place. I have found, that unless you are already well established,and wealthy it is a hard place to live. Is it just me? How do u feel a/b living here? What about you? Do you also want to move? Why? I know I can't be alone in this. I would really like your feed back thanks.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:33 AM

26 posts, read 93,947 times
Im ready to move back to UK
I came here in 1990

the crime is now thru the roof
the salaries suck *(even tho I make higher than the average)
the hidden taxes on your mobiles, electric, water. sewage bills p*ss me off
nothing to do (I dont want to pay 12 bucks to park in a theme park then pay 300 to get in and stand in line for 90 minutes in heat and humidity for a 2 minute ride)

no arts here
rednecks
hurricanes
tornadoes
no sense of community
no public transportation
miles from anywhere

etc etc

BUT
the people are very friendly
they just dont mix socially

I miss living in NY

Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,912,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Race isn't really an issue when it comes to jobs in Orlando, because EVERYONE gets treated like cattle. I'm a white, college-educated male and could never get a job that paid above $30k a year there. And some places I applied to had these awful group interviews where you weren't even treated like a person, just take your turn in line, listen to the low-paying offer, and take it or leave it regardless of your experience, intelligence, or education. And once you do accept an offer, you are just a number. Don't be a minute late or you are written up. And don't make any intelligent suggestions or you will be talked down to like a 5-year old. Don't like it, leave (and I had one boss who told everyone this during meetings). There are 1000 other suckers ready to take your place, and the employers know this.

But then add in the huge increase in the cost of living in Orlando over the last few years and it is virtually impossible to get by. How can someone making $8-$11 an hour afford $900+ a month rent? Why work your butt off while getting treated like dirt and still not be able to make ends meet? I left Orlando in 2006 and have never been happier.
I have to agree with some of the statements you made about employers. I'm tired of being treated like a child with all the ludicris write-ups. It seems they focus on the minor incidents and who cares about the major incidents they should be focusing on. I'm not saying they would let me go at the drop of a dime either. Geesh, let's just get focused on the things that are really important. Don't ask for suggestions either if you're not interested. It's scary b/c it's a right to work state and that doesn't give us many options.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 PM

174 posts, read 624,638 times
the problems outlined by the OP plague most of Florida, its not just an Orlando problem. Florida has no middle class, it has the educated well employed class and the handout class. IMO people in the south are so interested in helping each other out with donations and handouts that it doesn't provide the impetus for anyone to better their situation. That said, my wife and I donate to Boys and Girls Club in Ocala every Christmas. Florida needs to get on board with funding schools for better education and providing life skills and employment training for the underpriviledged. The lazy need to just fend for themselves...

Old 08-27-2008, 03:47 PM

561 posts, read 1,915,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSweetWorld View Post
Florida needs to get on board with funding schools for better education and providing life skills and employment training for the underpriviledged. The lazy need to just fend for themselves...
Bravo!

Old 08-27-2008, 04:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,798,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSweetWorld View Post
the problems outlined by the OP plague most of Florida, its not just an Orlando problem. Florida has no middle class, it has the educated well employed class and the handout class. IMO people in the south are so interested in helping each other out with donations and handouts that it doesn't provide the impetus for anyone to better their situation. That said, my wife and I donate to Boys and Girls Club in Ocala every Christmas. Florida needs to get on board with funding schools for better education and providing life skills and employment training for the underpriviledged. The lazy need to just fend for themselves...
I agree and disagree, but want to applaud you for donating to your local Boys and Girls club, which shows that you have some care for your community. That is the biggest problem with most of Florida IMO, is that it lacks sense of community or civic pride, and that trickles down in other ways to cause other problems.

That being said, more public money isn't always the solution, because you HAVE to fund education for the lazy until they are 16. All I know if that where I live, there are excellent tech schools for the underprivileged/unemployed that offer real certifications at affordable prices. My friend just got out of one and now he is welding for over 20 dollars an hour BEGINNING. It's about better management and usage of the resources available rather than providing more IMO, but of course that personal responsibility nonsense means nothing now. I think what Florida needs is a revamp of it's programs and philosophy on education for the times, not more money in the system.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:23 PM

41 posts, read 95,874 times
"BUT
the people are very friendly"

You are kidding right? That is one of the biggest complaints about Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando