Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:21 PM

30 posts, read 150,145 times

Advertisements

Just a quick note here about cats and snakes...my cat brings a snake in the house about once every week or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,489 times
I have lived in Florida for 21 years have had one racer snake in my backyard and live on a golfcourse. Yes there are gators but if you don't bother them they won't bother you. Just be cautious walking around lakes as gatgers like to keep their heads on the bank and the rest of them in the water. That iswhy kids and pets get bitten. Enjoy their beauty they were here before us.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 31,448 times
Default Rattlesnakes too...

No one has mentioned the pygmy rattlesnakes -- you'll find them on golf courses. Coral snakes (venomous & dangerous) love to hide in landscaped areas, around rocks. Beware of termites -- your house should have termite bond. Subterranean termites can destroy a house in a few months - keep wood mulch away from your house! EVERY pond and lake has alligators - they lie in wait in the mud in the bottom of the pond and love to catch an unsuspecting dog that is allowed to sniff along the water's edge. "Love bugs" appear twice a year and must be washed off your car every day or their acid body fluids will ruin the car finish. Black widow spiders and brown recluse spiders lurk in and around garages and lawn sheds. I have personally seen in my yard and neighborhood everything mentioned here except the brown recluse spider.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,462 times
I have lived in Orlando almost my entire life. The house I grew up in has a huge pool, and we have only ever had one snake in it. Snakes will usually slither away before you can spot them.
I think I have seen an alligator in just about every body of water in the central Florida area at one time or another, but as long as you aren't fooling around near the edge of the water, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:40 PM

8 posts, read 65,072 times
This is Florida of United States of America, Gators and Snakes roam freely but where they should, in ponds and conservation areas. If you see anything out of the ordinary then you might want to call the proper authorities, been here since 1999 and never had a problem with either one of them. These undesirable are a very important link to the survival and control of other creatures. www.MoveNowToFlorida.com

Old 08-02-2007, 09:53 AM

6 posts, read 21,503 times
Snakes are GOOD! They eat rodents and most of them are not harmful. Get some education about our natural wildlife and why you SHOULD NOT KILL snakes.

Call or email Creepy Crawly Capture Service for snake, spider, scorpion, etc removal. They will take your creepies and relocate them safely. You don't really want to go around chopping off heads and such as some of our snakes are protected.

crpycrawly@yahoo.com or 386-837-3402

Also, Creepy Crawly Capture Service offers education programs. You can hire him to bring critters and an educational presentation right to your home! It's amazing!

Old 08-02-2007, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 8,825 times
Default re: snakes and gators in orlando

In the new property development areas, snakes and gators are extremely common. I lived in Vintage on the Green Apts. (now Knightsbridge at Stoneybrook), and there were several snakes that actually lived inside the walls of our apartment. We spoted several gators in the ponds and lakes in the complex, as well as on the way to the complex from orlando. Most of these properties are actually build on what either still is or what was preservation area, so there's lots of wildlife. I was cornered at my apartment door by a possum twice.

I would strongly advise to not live in any of those properties if wildlife is not your thing

Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,722 times
However, if wildlife is your thing, Knightsbridge at Stoneybrook can be a great place to live. Watching the creatures around here is a positive quality of life element for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaWeitzel View Post
In the new property development areas, snakes and gators are extremely common. I lived in Vintage on the Green Apts. (now Knightsbridge at Stoneybrook), and there were several snakes that actually lived inside the walls of our apartment. We spoted several gators in the ponds and lakes in the complex, as well as on the way to the complex from orlando. Most of these properties are actually build on what either still is or what was preservation area, so there's lots of wildlife. I was cornered at my apartment door by a possum twice.

I would strongly advise to not live in any of those properties if wildlife is not your thing

Old 04-04-2014, 07:57 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,415,987 times
No offense meant by my post . If you're that freaked out, please don't move here

Personally, I'm tired of people destroying this place, whether it be wildlife that has no place to go, or oak and pine trees that don' t provide the proper Disneyesque palm tree image of Florida

Other than that, welcome. You did ask a legitimate question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando