Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 12:33 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times

Advertisements

Have you dated, been in, or are currently in an interracial relationship in Orlando? If so, what are some of your experiences? Is it a good city to have a interracial relationship in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 12,396 times
Exclamation I say it's so-so

Interracial dating in orlando is slim to none really. If there are interracial couples, they're probably tourists. Orlando is still a bit backwards to be complete honest. There are still plenty of rednecks driving around with confederate flags on their trucks.

So my answer is no. Unless you don't mind being stared at everywhere you go.

Which I think is too bad.

If you go to Cali, Chicago, Philly, DC, etc. they're more openminded about it.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:56 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Interracial relationships would be considered "unusual" in Central Florida. I can't say that such a couple would not be able to make their own way, but you better have some tough skin, in that you don't worry what other people say and think about such a relationship. Expect people to talk and gossip about such things around here.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:04 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
I must say I am surprised by the above 2 responses. I hardly think an interracial couple would warrent a second glance, or cause gossip or anything like that. There are many interracial couples in Orlando. And as far as rednecks with flags-maybe out in the Clermont or Kissimmee area. But if you want to move to this area I would not let this factor sway your decision in any way. Hopefully it is your character not you color that would be important!

Old 02-28-2007, 08:11 AM

631 posts, read 2,450,700 times
I was about to say..... Orlando is extremely diverse. Hispanic/White couples are very common. Black/White I have seen and cannot imagine that in Orange County would get stares. In north Seminole or Lake County, probably. Orlando is pretty liberal but outside Orange county it's a whole other ball game.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:41 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
I, too am shocked at a couple of these responses. We have a number of interracial couples in our church and I see them frequently at the mall, restaurants, etc. Noone I know thinks anything of it. We have so many nationalities living and working here now, who notices skin color anymore?

Old 03-04-2007, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 12,331 times
Default No problems with interracial relationships

I'm in an interracial marriage and have never had a problem here in Orlando. Nor has any of my other friends who are mixed couples. It's one of the cool things about this place. I get happy when I see two people of different races going hand in hand down the street. Don't worry.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 12,206 times
well i don't disagree with some of the comments posted because in reality florida ranks # 1 in racial hate groups across the country, california being #2.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:07 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Default Scratching my head

I don't know where some of these answers come from.......

We are such a diverse community that I don't think it would ever be noticed. Three of our couple friends are inter-racial, hispanic/white, white/black, black/hispanic. Never has any one of them encountered any problem what so ever.....yes some of these responses bothered me so I called and asked. I got laughter out of two and a snort out of the other.

Sometimes I think these questions are asked just to bring out an argument. I'm going to stop responding to these kind of queries.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:11 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,830,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Have you dated, been in, or are currently in an interracial relationship in Orlando? If so, what are some of your experiences? Is it a good city to have a interracial relationship in?
There is a ton of illegal aliens men and women, so if you like certain types of people, you can get them easily down here, as long as you promisse to marry them.

No wonder a lot of people here date these foreign people and abuse them. It is bad, but it happens more often than not. A lot of interracial couples here are actually American-Illegal alien couples.

I am just surprised people get soooo defensive when others say people do double takes on mixed couples. If people do that, so what? Another observation is how males and females look at the issue.... women always think "no problem", while men tend to pay more close attention to stuff and notce the "double takes".

Last edited by Nirvana-Guy; 04-03-2007 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando