Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 08:40 AM

7 posts, read 14,649 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I will be moving to Orlando in November from Philadelphia. I will be managing a restaurant opening at The Pointe on I drive. My hours are odd so traffic is not much of a problem. I grew up in the inner city so I feel as though if you stay alert and street smart you can avoid a lot of dangerous situations. Philadelphia is known for its murder rate. I am single and looking to rent in an area with some entertainment, local not tourist. Looking to pay about $1000 a month rent for 1/1 or 2/2. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:48 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyg44 View Post
I grew up in the inner city so I feel as though if you stay alert and street smart you can avoid a lot of dangerous situations. Philadelphia is known for its murder rate.
Murder rates typically don't even apply to you unless you

A. Date/married a very unstable person.
B. Regularly buy illegal drugs.
C. Are a gang member.
D. Get into a lot of "disputes"/**** people off a lot

People getting shot or stabbed in robberies is much, much rarer and random shootings or some random person running up the street looking to beat you up for no reason is very, very, rare.

HOWEVER, in ORLANDO, you don't have a "street" kind of envrionment. It all looks "nice" compared to the "grimy" Philadelphia. That's why several people in Orlando get shot in robberies and home invasions, something that does affect the random person. Street smarts don't matter because it is a suburban envrionment, and crimes are not as quick, but there are a lot of places to hide so you won't get much sketchy "feel". It's not like typical "street crime" at all, and nothing like walking through north Philly. Granted, a lot of the victims were complacent, but some were not. Now, I'm not saying your going to get popped for 20 dollars, there are still good sides of town and bad sides of town, but I am just saying not to come with the Northeastern "where I come from is worse" attitude because it is naive and, quite frankly, outdated. If you don't you will be fine. And I AM "from" the North but it doesn't matter, I'm in Florida now, it is what it is.

Anyway, not every neighborhood in Orlando is like that, but that is the dynamic of most of the "bad" neighborhoods. The thing is, a decent amount of that kind of crime also spills into the "good" neighborhoods although your chances are lower.

Anyway, filling your requirement for "local" fun is going to involve a commute. If you aren't going to be leaving at rush hour on I-4, check out the Park Ave area in Winter Park. You might be able to score a 1 bedroom for 1,000 a month, but choose your neighborhood wisely. Try to stay east of Park Ave instead of west. But to be honest, the "local" entertainment options aren't going to match where you are coming from at all.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:39 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
You can check online for any number of rental service sites that give a great description and even floor plans of the wide variety of apartments and condos in the area. You may want to rent an extended stay hotel for a couple of weeks and check out where the best place will be for you. It's off season, so you can also get good deals on week/month condo and villa rentals.

The biggest mistake I made when I moved here a couple of months ago, is not scoping out the area in relationship to my job BEFORE I rented.

And...if you don't speak Spanish...you may want to go online and pick up a few phrases. I went to KMart the other day and couldn't read the sale signs.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. I will be moving to Orlando in November from Philadelphia. I will be managing a restaurant opening at The Pointe on I drive. My hours are odd so traffic is not much of a problem. I grew up in the inner city so I feel as though if you stay alert and street smart you can avoid a lot of dangerous situations. Philadelphia is known for its murder rate. I am single and looking to rent in an area with some entertainment, local not tourist. Looking to pay about $1000 a month rent for 1/1 or 2/2. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.
You will find that Orlando isn't the same as Philly. Don't even try to compare.

To answer your question, you might want to try the Dr Phillips area. It will be easy access to Pointe Orlando and a lot of locals hang out there.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
I would suggest Downtown (Thornton Park), Winter Park (Park Ave specifically as someone else suggested), Dr. Phillips/Sand Lake area (This would be the most convenient for you, commute wise and good restaurants), and Baldwin Park. With the falling prices, I think you could find a 1/1 in any of those areas in your price range. You could definitely do 2/2 if you got a roommate. Based on your situation you will have no problem finding things to do after work immediately around your job but it will be all tourist. Because of the restaurant hours I would strongly recommend living downtown. That way even if you got home from work late you could still easily get changed and still go out without having to travel far or get back into your car. No its is not Philly but Thornton Park is nice hip place for young singles. They just opened a Publix supermarket across from Lake Eola Park, plenty of good dinging and there are some retail shops there too. You could live there now without having to use your car for much else except getting to and from work.

Last edited by Crane's Rooster; 09-03-2008 at 02:33 PM..

Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 PM

Default Thank you

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
You can check online for any number of rental service sites that give a great description and even floor plans of the wide variety of apartments and condos in the area. You may want to rent an extended stay hotel for a couple of weeks and check out where the best place will be for you. It's off season, so you can also get good deals on week/month condo and villa rentals.

The biggest mistake I made when I moved here a couple of months ago, is not scoping out the area in relationship to my job BEFORE I rented.

And...if you don't speak Spanish...you may want to go online and pick up a few phrases. I went to KMart the other day and couldn't read the sale signs.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Default Thanks

I appricate the advice. I think I did not convey my point properly. I just wanted to state that there are good area's and bad. I would like to not live in a bad area and raise my chances for finding violence. Violence has no boundries, it can happen anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Murder rates typically don't even apply to you unless you

A. Date/married a very unstable person.
B. Regularly buy illegal drugs.
C. Are a gang member.
D. Get into a lot of "disputes"/**** people off a lot

People getting shot or stabbed in robberies is much, much rarer and random shootings or some random person running up the street looking to beat you up for no reason is very, very, rare.

HOWEVER, in ORLANDO, you don't have a "street" kind of envrionment. It all looks "nice" compared to the "grimy" Philadelphia. That's why several people in Orlando get shot in robberies and home invasions, something that does affect the random person. Street smarts don't matter because it is a suburban envrionment, and crimes are not as quick, but there are a lot of places to hide so you won't get much sketchy "feel". It's not like typical "street crime" at all, and nothing like walking through north Philly. Granted, a lot of the victims were complacent, but some were not. Now, I'm not saying your going to get popped for 20 dollars, there are still good sides of town and bad sides of town, but I am just saying not to come with the Northeastern "where I come from is worse" attitude because it is naive and, quite frankly, outdated. If you don't you will be fine. And I AM "from" the North but it doesn't matter, I'm in Florida now, it is what it is.

Anyway, not every neighborhood in Orlando is like that, but that is the dynamic of most of the "bad" neighborhoods. The thing is, a decent amount of that kind of crime also spills into the "good" neighborhoods although your chances are lower.

Anyway, filling your requirement for "local" fun is going to involve a commute. If you aren't going to be leaving at rush hour on I-4, check out the Park Ave area in Winter Park. You might be able to score a 1 bedroom for 1,000 a month, but choose your neighborhood wisely. Try to stay east of Park Ave instead of west. But to be honest, the "local" entertainment options aren't going to match where you are coming from at all.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:31 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
You will find that Orlando isn't the same as Philly. Don't even try to compare.

To answer your question, you might want to try the Dr Phillips area. It will be easy access to Pointe Orlando and a lot of locals hang out there.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:35 PM

Smile Thanks

Crane thanks for the advice it has been very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I would suggest Downtown (Thornton Park), Winter Park (Park Ave specifically as someone else suggested), Dr. Phillips/Sand Lake area (This would be the most convenient for you, commute wise and good restaurants), and Baldwin Park. With the falling prices, I think you could find a 1/1 in any of those areas in your price range. You could definitely do 2/2 if you got a roommate. Based on your situation you will have no problem finding things to do after work immediately around your job but it will be all tourist. Because of the restaurant hours I would strongly recommend living downtown. That way even if you got home from work late you could still easily get changed and still go out without having to travel far or get back into your car. No its is not Philly but Thornton Park is nice hip place for young singles. They just opened a Publix supermarket across from Lake Eola Park, plenty of good dinging and there are some retail shops there too. You could live there now without having to use your car for much else except getting to and from work.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:38 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Quote:
I appricate the advice. I think I did not convey my point properly. I just wanted to state that there are good area's and bad. I would like to not live in a bad area and raise my chances for finding violence. Violence has no boundries, it can happen anywhere.
You've lived in Philly, you seem street smart and probaly more so than alot of people who watch the news too often. You will likely be more than fine in the areas recommended. I've lived in alot of places that are statistically safer than Orlando but in reality are places you have to be more careful in those places than you would here. In general, I find most of the Northeast is that way and since you're moving from the NE I think you'll be fine as long as your smart here as you were there. There are some bad areas of Orlando, but I don't think they would rival South Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: