Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:32 PM

148 posts, read 602,757 times

Advertisements

ConfusedinDFW,

I lived in Dallas in the 1980s (am a native Floridian).

I happened onto the University Park/SMU area and fell in love with that area and rented an apartment in what is now called the 'Uptown' area. I used to take walks to this beautiful park in the Highland Park area...I remember walking through the park with its beautiful fall leaves bemoaning the fact that I was not in Florida with its tropical vegetation. I used to fantasize about the ocean, etc.

I finally moved back to Florida after 7 years and to this day, I keenly miss the set-up I had in Dallas and the upscale amenities, art galleries and restaurants, plus the funky areas of town. In my case, I was living in an artsy area of town I loved where I could walk to cool things, so that plays a big part in my nostalgia. That was 20+ years ago and I know the rampant suburban sprawl that is going on in big cities here is big time in Dallas now also. I know if I moved back there I would go through the 'missing Florida business' again.

It's a shame we all can't be able to have a main locale we love and be able to explore are fantasy locales without all this hideous uprooted feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 06:39 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,050,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedInDFW View Post
I know it will probably take a few years, and we don't hate it in Dallas, it's kind of just "blah". We feel like we've been on an extended vacation and are ready to go home. Time heals all though, and you never know what the future holds! We'll just try to bloom where we're planted until we get ready to move back.
Orlando is very blah... I'd leave if I could honestly. Very boring town full of conventional people who are happy middling along, slaving away for no money.

Dallas has some cool stuff. I'm not sure I'd like to live there. Honestly I'd probably like California better, specificly San Francisco or somewhere like that.

In short, yes, Orlando is overrated. Just count to ten and maybe that feeling of "missing" Orlando will go away.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:27 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,119,381 times
I love Orlando and Florida but if there were one place I would like more it would be California and more specifically Los Angeles and/or San Diego. I have visited often and grew up on the west coast and I have always loved California, it is a good trade off to Florida. At this point, that would really be the only place I could see myself other than Florida. I don't think Orlando is blah at all, but that is my opinion. I have never seen a city this size that has this much going on except maybe Vegas. Then even Vegas is lacking in having other adjacent cities and beaches to go to for more entertainment.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 AM

164 posts, read 981,147 times
Can someone define what is meant by the term "Florida Lifestyle" ?

I live in a house worth way less than I owe, you have to be wary of any potential storm brewing down south, mention the word storm and gas prices go up, insurance continues to go up, taxes continue to go up, most people I have met here are all out for themselves and what they can get from you, salaries are meek at best even for professional jobs, etc , etc ,etc. Oh, but it is sunny alot.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:04 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,188,554 times
It's funny to hear people talk about how they would like to live in California. I did live there and while I loved the proximity to all the natural wonders - i.e. Yosemite, Giant Sequoia, Mt. Shasta, etc....I hated everything else about living in California. I've lived in two Florida cities, two Georgia cities, Tennessee and South Carolina. I would prefer any of them to California. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. There is nothing about California that would make me want to live there again...unless my husband was offered a job making $$$$$$ - then I would suck it up and move! LOL

Old 09-05-2008, 08:22 AM

I think the "Florida Lifestyle" is the opportunities for leisure, the great weather, almost year round swimming, golfing, beaches, concerts, events, etc. I think anyone who moves here expecting to make the same salary as they would have doing the same job in NY or Chicago is a fool. I really just wish people would stop complaining and see what they have and if it is not the right fit for you, that is why there are 50 states and several other cities available that offer a different experience and maybe better suited for what you want and/or need. Every place has their advantages and disadvantages.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
It's funny to hear people talk about how they would like to live in California. I did live there and while I loved the proximity to all the natural wonders - i.e. Yosemite, Giant Sequoia, Mt. Shasta, etc....I hated everything else about living in California. I've lived in two Florida cities, two Georgia cities, Tennessee and South Carolina. I would prefer any of them to California. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. There is nothing about California that would make me want to live there again...unless my husband was offered a job making $$$$$$ - then I would suck it up and move! LOL
I like them both a lot. It is not so much that I like California more, they are about equal in my mind. I have made my life here so I am pretty content and settled but the only place that would even tempt me to move away to would be to Cali should the right opportunity take place. I love Orlando though don't get me wrong.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:10 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,292,155 times
The "Florida Lifestyle" is not just a way of living it's way of thinking. It's a live and let live type of mentality, 5 O Clock somewhere attitude. If it's been a long day, there's nothing a trip to the links or lake or a good game of football and cold beer can't cure. It's also an understanding that things are what they are, make the best of them. That's the real "Florida Lifestyle" coming from a real Florida boy. I will admit that the influx of opportunists and haters has really deterred from it lately. It bothers me sometimes too that people who come down here just aren't willing to buy into our way of thinking than go on to complain about how moving here was the worst mistake of their lives and this is the worst place ever. Ohh, to those people, I raise my beer to you and hope better for you. If you see me at the bar, I'll gladly buy you a beer if agree to enjoy it and not drown it with your tears. Happy Friday All!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
The "Florida Lifestyle" is not just a way of living it's way of thinking. It's a live and let live type of mentality, 5 O Clock somewhere attitude. If it's been a long day, there's nothing a trip to the links or lake or a good game of football and cold beer can't cure. It's also an understanding that things are what they are, make the best of them. That's the real "Florida Lifestyle" coming from a real Florida boy. I will admit that the influx of opportunists and haters has really deterred from it lately. It bothers me sometimes too that people who come down here just aren't willing to buy into our way of thinking than go on to complain about how moving here was the worst mistake of their lives and this is the worst place ever. Ohh, to those people, I raise my beer to you and hope better for you. If you see me at the bar, I'll gladly buy you a beer if agree to enjoy it and not drown it with your tears. Happy Friday All!
I can relate and I am originally from the west coast (Oregon/Washington). I think the leisurely pace and mentality here is closer to the West Coast than the NE like NYC. I like your description a lot and can appreciate your comments on the haters and opportunists! Keep on enjoying your life, I know I do!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 AM

37 posts, read 123,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
That's so true. I probably miss the Florida mindset more than anything else. Here in Dallas it's "Hi. What's your name? Where do you work, how much do you make, is your car as cool as mine? Do you have a lake house? How big is your trust fund? My dad can whip your dad". I hear it's a Dallas thing - not a Texas thing. And I hear that from native Texans.

My only real and true problem with Orlando was the wages. Those ads on the job boards reading "nights and weekends required, MBA preferred, 10+ years of experience...starting salary in the mid $30k range" is what drove me nuts. Other than that, I really had a good 10-year run in Florida. I'll admit that I had a great job with a company that paid Chicago wages, and lived pretty darn good. But when they closed the Orlando branch, I found out that I would come closer to finding Jesus than another job to replace even 70% of my wages. That's why I had to move to Dallas. Just to find another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando