U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 PM

47 posts, read 161,225 times

Advertisements

So what does anyone think about Davenport in the long run? I was out there earlier this year (specifically looking at the Providence development), and it feels like its far enough away from the Orlando metro that its certainly not part of the "city." On the other hand, it feels close enough that over time, development might move that direction.

Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 08:51 PM

5,969 posts, read 8,582,195 times
Its a tourist trap.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:52 PM

196 posts, read 696,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisun View Post
So what does anyone think about Davenport in the long run? I was out there earlier this year (specifically looking at the Providence development), and it feels like its far enough away from the Orlando metro that its certainly not part of the "city." On the other hand, it feels close enough that over time, development might move that direction.

Any thoughts?
We just got back from Florida. While there, we met a gentleman from Davenport. He loves it there and suggested that my husband and I check it out.

iuki

Old 09-19-2008, 12:14 AM

8,267 posts, read 12,085,208 times
Davenport has some ok values (Kissimmee are better) it is a bit off the beaten path, fairly new, convenient to 27 for what thats worth. It is one direction to expand but I think most will opt for the other directions before Davenport , if that is true then it will take some time to pan out, I would guess at least 10-20 years. There are parts of Kissimmee I think are far superior and way better values. You might be pleasantly surprised. ( No I don't live there but I am very familiar with it.)

Old 09-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Intuitively I would think you're right about Kissimmee. My concern about Davenport being as far off the beaten path as it is that values just may not be there due to the lack of demand.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 AM

986 posts, read 3,356,876 times
You will generally find properties in Davenport are alot cheaper than other areas purely because there are alot of vacation rentals there. Alot of properties owned by British as investment etc. I dont see huge increases over time purely because it isnt as nice an area or developed as Kissimmee etc. Providence is very nice and i have had alot of experience with that neighbourhood, but i would suggest that the prices there are higher than Davenport as a whole and really it is one exceptional neighbourhood amongst a group of average neighbourhoods which isnt really going to give it such a desireability factor. People may say the same with Celebration and it would certainly be true, but the only reason Celebration gets away with it is because it is the town which Disney built. Have you considered any other areas and what are your main requirements in terms of location, size etc. If you are intending on buying to rent it out short term then the Davenport/Kissimmee areas are where you need to stick to but there is a market for renting out.

Good luck

Old 09-22-2008, 10:48 AM

8,267 posts, read 12,085,208 times
The break down goes like this. There are 717 homes in Davenport built since 2000 available they range from 88k - 900k

In Kissimmee there are 1905 homes starting at 59k and going to 2.6M, 1516 units are at 300k or below. 946 are below 200k.

Both Kissimmee and Davenport have a similar offering but there are more choices in Kiss. Both areas offer the short term rental. and both have town homes and condos too I didnt include those in these searches.

If you look at price per foot the better deals will be found in Kissimmee. but it depends on how far off the beaten path one wants to be. Some of the neighborhoods are pretty desolate so I would always drive the area to get a good feel for it. If it has an HOA and there is no one around to pay it it may have negative impact on homeowners. Just some things to be aware of. Another area is St. Cloud and it also has some good deals but with a nicer small town feel than Dav or Kiss. really it comes down to what a buyer wants more than anything. As the deals become too good people will come buy them.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:01 AM

Hey, thanks for the input everyone!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 PM

255 posts, read 710,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisun View Post

Any thoughts?
Hi Raisun,

I have lived in this area for the past 12 years and have seen amazing strides in it's evolution. Although Kissimmee and St. Cloud are more convenient for major shopping and the attractions (maybe), I would recommend the Davenport area if you are looking for the small town family feel. It is very close to Haines City that may not be the best "looking" city...it is older and in the midst of a renovation...but it does have many family oriented evening activities during every holiday season. They really try and bring the family aspect into focus and inspire "home town feel" with their activities.

As far as shopping, they finished one phase of the Pilsner Shopping District that includes a JcPenny, Ross, Target etc. on Hwy27, the new Publix shopping plaza across from the hospital, the new Lowe's and the Wal-mart supercenter with the Dollar Tree and Family Dollar, not to mention all the fast food spots. It is a quaint town that has some great developments with nice lots, friendly people and decent schools. You are also very close to I-4, Champions Gate shops, restaurants, etc. If Disney and Golf are your thing, you are convenient to those as well via I-4 also. It is true that Davenport has many vacation rental areas but they also have many subdivisions that have permanent families living as well. I can DM you a list of developments that are nice, fairly priced and not mainly vacation rentals.

I have lived in Poinciana for many years like I said and have seen an amazing growth spurt happen here and I am looking forward to ending my time here and starting fresh somewhere else, but we enjoyed our time here for the most part.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help if I can...good luck with your decision and possible move.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 AM

Mia, thanks for the info! I think I saw the construction of some of that shopping district when I was last out there! I do like the area, its a very different pace of life them my folks are used to though.

ps...its my parents who are thinking of moving (and I never KNOW what they're thinking). Just because I'm in real estate (commercial investments exclusively) they think I know what's going on everywhere! Thank goodness for places like city-data where I can actually get on the ground intelligence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando