Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:50 PM

7 posts, read 15,914 times

Advertisements

Looking for a safe place in Central Florida? Political correctness be damned, the lower the hispanic and african american concentration in an area, the less violent crime you'll have the potential to encounter. It's a simple rule, perhaps not a "nice" thing to say, regardless it is true.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmb57 View Post
Looking for a safe place in Central Florida? Political correctness be damned, the lower the hispanic and african american concentration in an area, the less violent crime you'll have the potential to encounter. It's a simple rule, perhaps not a "nice" thing to say, regardless it is true.
The poorer an area, the less violent crime you will have the potential to encounter...

Races in Port Richey:

* White Non-Hispanic (93.9%)
* Hispanic (2.9%)
* Two or more races (1.1%)
* American Indian (1.0%)
* Black (0.6%)

Estimated median household income in 2005: $32,900 (it was $27,404 in 2000)

City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 325.2) 780.9 1181.4 1090.7 902.5 818.6

Weston, Florida

Races in Weston:

* White Non-Hispanic (61.8%)
* Hispanic (30.2%)
* Black (3.7%)
* Other race (2.9%)
* Two or more races (2.2%)
* Asian Indian (1.1%)
* Chinese (0.8%)
* Korean (0.5%)

Estimated median household income in 2005: $83,313 (it was $80,920 in 2000)

Crime in Weston by Year

City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 325.2) 165.6 95.6 75.6 65.8 105.5 102.9

Pembroke Pines, Fl
Estimated median household income in 2005: $55,847 (it was $52,629 in 2000)
Races in Pembroke Pines:

* White Non-Hispanic (52.7%)
* Hispanic (28.2%)
* Black (13.3%)
* Other race (3.7%)
* Two or more races (3.5%)
* Asian Indian (1.3%)
* Chinese (0.9%)
* Filipino (0.6%)
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2005: 8.7%
(10.9% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
Crime in Pembroke Pines by Year
City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 325.2) 249.8 223.8 234.1 225.8 215.4 208.6 211.3

Orlando, Florida

Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2005: 15.1%
(8.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 23.2% for Black residents, 16.2% for Hispanic or Latino residents
City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 325.2) 1126.1 1022.0 995.4 939.4 879.1 886.2 928.0

Old 07-31-2007, 01:14 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
I don't agree.

Crime in Orlando is not that bad. I only know Orlando and Miami, and Miami is definately worse. Even so, I have never had a problem driving in ALL PARTS OF MIAMI!! Bad crime would be up in the NE, Boston, NYC, Detroit, Camden, Newark. But Orlando?? No. Granted I lived in Winter Park, which is the probably the best area of Orlando, but I never heard of a whole lot of crime. Can you honestly say that there is no safe good area of Orlando. I think you are full of it. I don't like Orlando, but you exaggerate.
For its size it is bad when you look at statistics, but Orlando and Miami aren't as dangerous as Atlanta. I will admit that for Orlando's size, it is dangerous, but Atlanta is even more violent.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:25 PM

18 posts, read 138,230 times
I've lived in Altamonte Springs for the last 3 years and it is a great area. About 90% of the crime is in the bad neighborhoods and drug related. I always check to see the location of the latest crime, and it's always an area that I would never be in. Take note of where the crimes occur and you'll see it's mostly Orlando's new "hot spots" that the police are focusing on. Unless you want drugs or other illegal activity, you should be fine.

Remember: Use your common sense and keep an eye on your surroundings at all times.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:59 PM

170 posts, read 753,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlando View Post
I've lived in Altamonte Springs for the last 3 years and it is a great area. About 90% of the crime is in the bad neighborhoods and drug related. I always check to see the location of the latest crime, and it's always an area that I would never be in. Take note of where the crimes occur and you'll see it's mostly Orlando's new "hot spots" that the police are focusing on. Unless you want drugs or other illegal activity, you should be fine.

Remember: Use your common sense and keep an eye on your surroundings at all times.
orlando is a very safe area, ive been walking on obt at night when i first got here, have a friend in pinehills we, walk too stores, at day and night and i live in sanford off of sr46 at the moment, never have had a bit of bother, orlandos crime problem is overated, dont let fear ruin your life, the only thing to frear is fear itself.

Now if you have chosen a career as a drug dealer i can see nwhy you might have to sleep with one eye open, but even in the bad areas as a law abiding citizen i feel safe pretty much anywhere, it sucks to see homeless people around though

Old 07-31-2007, 09:33 PM

8 posts, read 65,082 times
Fact is Orlando and surrounding areas are getting more populated which means more crime, now as far as percentage per population we are not doing too bad yet. We need to keep our Government officials in their toes and watch that does not get it out of hand. Still, Orlando must be one of the best places to live... I should know since I could have chosen any where in the world to live but I chose "city beautiful"

Old 08-01-2007, 01:19 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,188 times
Thumbs down Orlando is horribly dangerous and people lie to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltyemi View Post
Move somewhere safer. The suburbs are getting bad also. Kids are going to school with gang members. Home prices are ridiculous and traffic is horrible! We got out of there and while I do realize crime is everywhere-it's not anything like Orlando where we are at now. Plus we don't have to worry about hurricanes like we did here! I lived in Orlando for 22 years-IT WAS TIME TO GET OUT AND PROTECT MY CHILDREN!!!
Juvenile crime is especially bad-these kids don't have any regard for anyone else or human life. There are no "safe" neighborhoods in Orlando anymore!!! It is sad such a beautiful place is going to h---!!!
Orlando is an Ex- Good city. I spent most of my adult life in Orlando, from HS, through college, but I got the heck out this year and never been happier and safer.

There is a LOT more to life than living in a ever more dangerous city like Orlando, working for pennies on the Dollar and paying a lot to live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmb57 View Post
I love when people do away with Political Correctness (PC)! I hate PC!!!

www.I-Hate-PC.com (broken link) --> I need to start a site like that!

But the poster has a point. Seems like a lot of the violent offenders we see in Orlando are minorities... well in Orlando whites ARE minorities in most neighborhoods... But when you keep seeing crimes on TV and the offender is almost always of a certain background, it makes you think. Prejudices aside, I am talking what we see on TV daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
For its size it is bad when you look at statistics, but Orlando and Miami aren't as dangerous as Atlanta. I will admit that for Orlando's size, it is dangerous, but Atlanta is even more violent.
But when you look at the Population of Orlando and the Population of Atlanta and you look at crime rates PER CAPITA (that means how many crimes per person), Orlando is very very violent. More than Atlanta on the per-capita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlando View Post

What about when offenders leave their neighborhoods and start targeting the "good areas". Is MetroWest not a good area? It is great, but criminals come out and commit crimes there rampantly.

So living in a good area no longer guarantees safety. A monitored alarm and a 9mm handgun ready to go helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich renter View Post
orlando is a very safe area, ive been walking on obt at night when i first got here, have a friend in pinehills we, walk too stores, at day and night and i live in sanford off of sr46 at the moment, never have had a bit of bother, orlandos crime problem is overated, dont let fear ruin your life, the only thing to frear is fear itself.

Now if you have chosen a career as a drug dealer i can see nwhy you might have to sleep with one eye open, but even in the bad areas as a law abiding citizen i feel safe pretty much anywhere, it sucks to see homeless people around though
OMG.... this is a completely FALSE post!! NO ONE walks around OBT and Pine Hills and is not robbed or killed or is not trying to sell drugs. Please do not like like this. That is not very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G Ortiz View Post
Fact is Orlando and surrounding areas are getting more populated which means more crime, now as far as percentage per population we are not doing too bad yet. We need to keep our Government officials in their toes and watch that does not get it out of hand. Still, Orlando must be one of the best places to live... I should know since I could have chosen any where in the world to live but I chose "city beautiful"
Eric, are you a realtor in Kissimmee?? I am almost sure I saw your name on a Remax website.... if that is why you are saying Orlando is nice, please don't trick people and give them false hopes.

Anyone looking at the City-Data website will see Orlando's crime rate is extremely high, and it only ties with Detroit, which is absolutely horrnedous.

The numbers speak for itself:

Orlando is #7 on the top-25 MOST dangerous cities in America (see: Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2006 — Infoplease.com )

Orlando's crime Index is extremely high (see: City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 325.2)

For Orlando (1999-2005): 1126.1 1022.0 995.4 939.4 879.1 886.2 928.0

//www.city-data.com/city/Orlando-Florida.html

It was most dangerous #25 for 2005: City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Old 08-01-2007, 01:43 AM

73 posts, read 443,637 times
Yup, Mr. Eric G Ortiz is a realtor and works for remax. Just google it.

His an opinion must be stopped. joke of course

Old 08-01-2007, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,015 times
Default Enough Already....

22 Murders in Orlando last year according to City-Data and most of you posters think Orlando is Baghdad. And of course it's the minorities that are at fault. I think Eric put up the crime index numbers that show crime is more closely related to low incomes than race. But then again most minorities in this country are poor so it's easy to chalk it up soley to race. I'm not unrealistic. 8 of city-data's least safe cities are predominately black. But I've been to Orlando numerous times to play golf and have never had a problem. I've been to citywalk, disney and some local bars, never a problem. Unfortunately Orlando is what we would classify as a city. Guess what, cities have crime. Move out to the country if you want to try to escape societies ills. Good luck thinking you'll be completely safe out there. ps. Tampa's crime rating is higher than Orlando's....

Old 08-01-2007, 11:54 AM

640 posts, read 3,075,417 times
No one likes crime but Orlando is tame compared to a lot of places. Check this interactive map out from the city of Philadelphia this year. Count our blessings here in Orlando!

The Philadelphia Inquirer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando