Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:36 AM

5 posts, read 62,888 times

Advertisements

Hey guys / gals...

I have started to look to buy a home (my first home). For starters, I have been jogging around the neighboring areas. I found this one community, which I was really interested in. Large homes for GREAT prices in a community that definitely needs some help. There's a bunch of for sale signs and up and coming foreclosures, etc etc. In any event, I pulled a few flyers from info tubes and I ran across the wonderful HOA fee section of the sheet. $485 (quarterly). Having lived in communities with HOA fees before, I assumed that $485 was the annual figure... 485 / 4 = $121.25 per quarter. OOPSIE! I was wrong. It's $1940 annually. OK... Here is why I am writing... This community's HOA is obviously ripping off their home owners (which might explain the empty houses). I kid you not... This neighborhood does NOT have any community trees that need maintaining. There is NO pool / NO community center / NO gym / NO tennis courts.... blah blah blah. The only thing it has is a TINY play ground for little kids and a basketball court without a backboard or rim. LOL! On top of all that, most lawns are NOT well maintained, so they obviously don't mow the lawns for you. I lived in a town house community that had 2 olympic size pools / a gym / tennis courts / community center / the lawns were maintained by a company (and always in immaculate condition)... HOA fees were 201 per month, and WELL WORTH IT! (oh... They also plowed all the snow, when it snowed). I was hoping someone might clue me into where this $485 (quarterly) is going. I saw other similar homes in similar type neighborhoods with HOA fees as low as $25 / month. There was even a few (with LOW HOA FEES) that had community pools. What's the deal here? What am I missing? Or is this as obvious as I think... THEIVERY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 06:30 PM

986 posts, read 3,549,070 times
HOA fees vary from community to community. It may be that they offer cable and internet included or it could be that alot of homes are in foreclosure in that neighbourhood and they are not being successful in collecting so they put the whole communities rates up to compensate. Realistically there is no rhyme or reason for how hoa's charge, the key is to buy in a neighbourhood that seems to have a low foreclosure rate, and shows value for money in terms of amenities.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:18 AM

Default I totally agree

ABSOLUTELY! I have been looking all over the area and I have a few neighborhoods that have very few for sale signs... the neighborhood seems very secure in terms of the foreclosure nonsense. I wouldn't want to buy in a community with a lot of forclosures, UNLESS, the prices of the houses - because there is so much supply - drop SO LOW that you just can't turn down that price. I can see these houses - already half price from what they were sold for - dropping a lot farther, as they have to "TRY" to make the community whole again. The bank - likely could be 1 lender since the builders typically have their preferred lender won't want to carry these mortgages / taxes forever. If I could get that BIG HOUSE for under 100,000....... lol

This is what I think happened in terms of Legacy Park. The deal probably came with free lawn care... In that area of Davenport, most places have lawn car included. However, when the HOA fees weren't getting paid, the lawn care company wasn't getting paid and just bailed on the community. I imagine this could've happened. It could be cable... I was told by a realtor, who never elaborated, that they do have an arrangement with cable, but as I told the realtor, I live in a community with an arrangement with the cable company and it just includes basic cable, which is only about 50 bux / month. I can't imagine that the "triple play" which would be included with the HOA would be very powerful. It would probably be basic / digital cable... The lowest plateau for high speed 765k - or whatever the lowest high speed is. I was asking the realtor because I wouldn't "mind" if it was a GOOD bundle arrangement, but would rather pick my own cable plan / company. I don't much care for the ala carte nature COMCAST is in florida. I love my FIOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
HOA fees vary from community to community. It may be that they offer cable and internet included or it could be that alot of homes are in foreclosure in that neighbourhood and they are not being successful in collecting so they put the whole communities rates up to compensate. Realistically there is no rhyme or reason for how hoa's charge, the key is to buy in a neighbourhood that seems to have a low foreclosure rate, and shows value for money in terms of amenities.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 AM

986 posts, read 3,549,070 times
You will generally find that the majority of bundles which are offered are just the basic, but some offer great deals when upgrading. For example, where i live our basic pack which is included includes high speed internet, basic cable, pest control and alarm monitoring. Our cable and internet is with brighthouse. We upgraded ours to the DVR HD pack from the basic 90 channels. If we didnt have it through our HOA we worked it out just for the cable would have cost around $150. We pay 29.95 for the upgrade so there are pros aswell. Although very few offer lawn maintenance unless you are looking at townhomes. In terms of falling alot further i cant see this happening. Prices are already very low and with the bail out plan i dont see this happening, however this doesnt mean there arnt excellent deals out there for you to find.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJayito View Post
ABSOLUTELY! I have been looking all over the area and I have a few neighborhoods that have very few for sale signs... the neighborhood seems very secure in terms of the foreclosure nonsense. I wouldn't want to buy in a community with a lot of forclosures, UNLESS, the prices of the houses - because there is so much supply - drop SO LOW that you just can't turn down that price. I can see these houses - already half price from what they were sold for - dropping a lot farther, as they have to "TRY" to make the community whole again. The bank - likely could be 1 lender since the builders typically have their preferred lender won't want to carry these mortgages / taxes forever. If I could get that BIG HOUSE for under 100,000....... lol

This is what I think happened in terms of Legacy Park. The deal probably came with free lawn care... In that area of Davenport, most places have lawn car included. However, when the HOA fees weren't getting paid, the lawn care company wasn't getting paid and just bailed on the community. I imagine this could've happened. It could be cable... I was told by a realtor, who never elaborated, that they do have an arrangement with cable, but as I told the realtor, I live in a community with an arrangement with the cable company and it just includes basic cable, which is only about 50 bux / month. I can't imagine that the "triple play" which would be included with the HOA would be very powerful. It would probably be basic / digital cable... The lowest plateau for high speed 765k - or whatever the lowest high speed is. I was asking the realtor because I wouldn't "mind" if it was a GOOD bundle arrangement, but would rather pick my own cable plan / company. I don't much care for the ala carte nature COMCAST is in florida. I love my FIOS.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 AM

I would still have to research that more, but like I said, those realtors with houses in there haven't gotten back me. I imagine they aren't too interested in selling a short sale at a value they probably feel isn't worth their time / way below what they sold for, new, not even 3 years ago. I am still interested in this one house, over there, because it pretty much has everything I would want.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 36,352 times
Default HOA Fees Legacy Park The Centre

Where do I begin. I have lived in Legacy Park since the beginning, Legacy Park was primarily set up as an investors development with short term rentals only. It has seven villages making up 1240 homes. All of the villages were supposed to join the Master HOA as well as their respective village HOA. The Center was lucky because Maronda homes backed out of the deal to join the Master and now does not contribute to maintain the Blvd and wells etc. So now there are only 1067 homes sharing the burden of all expenses. There has been recent talk of asking the Center to join the Master but why would anyone pay another dime when they are already riding for free? Now for why the Center pays $485 per quarter. $100 per month goes for cable, internet, and telephone, the $185 left per quarter goes toward the management company (who manages for the original developer who ruined Legacy Park in the first place) The Master just filed for bankruptcy on 6-15-2009! And whats left goes to the landscaping company that charges theme park prices for maintaining the Centers entrance and retention ponds. The real problem is that better than 70% of the homeowners do not live in Legacy Park and do not attend HOA meetings to correct what is needed. That is why HOA fees have gone up so much because the management company has dictated how things run instead of the homeowners. We need more owners to get involved but most live 1200 miles away or better. I have fought since day one with a handful of owners who live here but are always overturned because the majority are not here.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:08 AM

That's pretty much what I thought. First off... You guys shouldn't be paying a single cent for landscaping, since the landscaping of many of the residents (those who don't live there) is an eye sore, to put it mildly. They don't even have much to cut. We have been a big fan of Maronda homes in terms of BANG FOR THE BUCK. We were looking to move into Legacy Park... Wanting to buy either a Baybury or a Winchester. We opted out when we heard about the HOA fees and saw - no pool / no park (the basketball court... Is it still HOOPLESS?) In terms of the money towards cable. That's pretty much a shot in the foot. The cable company benefits from that. They give you basic ammenities for the $100. If you are ok with basic cable and low high speed, then of course it will work. If not, you then have to ALA CARTE everything. We live (renting) in Tuscan Hills and they got us with that one. I ended up switching to Verizon Fios, but still having to pay the $50 (within the HOA) for the basic cable. When you see DirecTV antennas within a community with included cable, you know there is an issue. I pray for the REAL residents that - eventually - the HOA fees are adjusted, OR, you get more for the money. At that HOA fee, lawn care should be included. Just a note... Tuscan Hills is a gated community with lawn care and tree care - with tennis courts and a community center (gym and game room) and their HOAs are only about 50 bucks more than Legacy Park - at least from what I was told.Good luck with that. I still - even with the handful of awful lawns - LOVE The Centre. I just wish the HOAs were more reasonable. Luckily, though, you aren't included within the MAIN HOA. I imagine that, with those over priced homes in the back, that portion of an HOA would be STEEP.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 13,097 times
Will anyone that now lives in Legacy Park, the Towns please let me know what is going on. I have read these blogs, read the articles on the internet in regards to the HOA Chapter 13 with Comcast, and of course all of the foreclosures due to investors buying with the intention of renting to tourists. I understand the foreclosures due to the economic downfall and of course if you are not renting your property it can get you in a bind, paying out and getting nothing in return. I would like to know if the HOA suit has been satisfied and if the HOA is now back on track? there was also articles about the contractor going bankrupt , so what are the plans for the vacant lots off of Chelsea? What percentage are homeowners year round? Is buying in the Towns as a year round resident a smart investment? Are the HOA monthly dues going up?

Old 04-04-2010, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 12,384 times
I have a quick question are homeowers allowed to put up fences and trees around their yard in Braytone lane, Thx

Old 04-20-2010, 07:17 PM

6 posts, read 36,352 times
You need to submit an ARB form to the management company for both the trees or fence. If it is approved you then can go and istall them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando