U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 AM

10 posts, read 34,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake81400 View Post
i didn't read through all the pages.. i guess i should have before asking.. but if some1 asked any of my questions already, you dont have to answer becuase i'll read through this afterwards...

1.) my 1st question i was wondering about.. i don't know if you have ever rented an apartment, or if you know anything about this.. but the average apartment in central fl... what utilities are included? and what utilies do you usually have to pay for on your own? and about how much do they cost there.

* oh yea by the way i'll be moving to florida with my finace late summer/ early fall from PA. Were looking for a 1 bedroom apt in the Kissimmee area.

2.) Up here in PA i live with my parents and we have our own house and driveway.. so my finace's car isn't registured or have insurance or anything on it b/c he's fixing it up. Now when we uhaul it down to Florida.. can the car sit in the aparment complex without any of that registraion or plates or anything? [he won't be driving it]

3.) how much is gas on average right now for regular? I know it goes up like every week and everytime they can come up with an excuse so it'll change. But at this moment how much is it?

4.) do you have car inspections or emissions?

5.) what does your car insruance include? Do you have stuff like "full or limited tort" or collision?

6.) if you lost your license in PA due to going over the amount of points and such.. can you get your license in FL? like re-doing the test and everything.. not transfering?
-and if not.. how reliable is the bussing service.. and is there hours? Like well be looking at places near Disney basicly.

Wow lots of questions! haha. I hope you can answer them.. or at least some.. and i thank you so much in advance too. Thanks!!
I don't know that I can answer all your questions, but here's a try...

1. The most I've seen included in rent for an apartment is water/sewer. Sometimes you'll get cable included, but you're really paying for it as it's just built into the rent. On average, you can get cable/internet for $100/month.

2. Most complexes will not allow an untaged, non driveable vehicle to stay on property. You may be able to get away with it for a little bit if your building is far from the office, but eventually someone will complain (especially if parking is hard to come by & they notice a non driveable car taking up a space) or someone from the complex will notice. Most complexes also have rules against working on vehicles in the parking lots.

3. Gas prices are about $3.20 - $3.30 right now. South Orlando/Kissimmee, I tend to find the cheaper prices there. I saw $3.17 on Osceola Parkway the other day. I think it was at Costco, so you'd need a membership, but the savings are worth it. I work in Seminole county (north Orlando-ish) and the prices are on the higher end there. Of course anything near Disney or the airport will be even higher.

4. There are no emissions required. Depending on the coverage you select, the make/model of your car & the zip code you live in, your auto insurance company may require an inspection. I did these inspections for many years & they are not something you can fail. It's basically the insurance company protecting themselves by documenting the condition of your vehicle at the start of your policy.

5. At this time, Florida requires Property Damage (damage caused by your fault to other peoples property) and PIP/No Fault insurance. PIP coverage covers your medical costs for any accident, regardless of who is at fault. If you are making payments on your car, you will also need to get Comp/Collision coverage also. Bodily Injury coverage is not required, but if you are in an accident that is your fault & you don't have the coverage, the state will then require that you carry it for 2 years. In addition to the huge lawsuit potential you've opened yourself to. Translation: Get BI. It's worth it in the long run.

6. This one I don't really have an answer for, but I would think you'd be able to take the test & move forward. Don't quote me on that one though. The bus system here is so so. If you're wanting to go any sort of a distance, be prepared to spend hours on the bus. It doesn't run 24 hours, that I know of at least.

You said you're looking at Kissimmee. I'm actually looking to move to that area right now too and I'm finding the apartment prices are cheaper than within Orlando. I'm looking for 2 bedrooms & have been finding them for $700-800/month. I will say though, the apartments are a lot older/run down than in Orlando. So you're getting what you pay for. St Cloud is right near Kissimmee also, you may want to check there too. If you're serious about
moving, I would suggest a visit before you sign a lease. Just like every city, there's nice & not so nice areas & you can't always tell from photos online. Good luck!
Rate this post positively

Old 03-30-2008, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,711 times
Hi thanks for your input. My family and I fell in love with the area last wek while on vacation; on our way to the airport we visited Celebration and a realtor strongly suggested to research Winter Park as an alternative to our current New Jersey life. I would appreciate your guidance with 2 questions:
1. Your input as far as schools for a middle schooler an a high schooler
2. Starting a new practice as a psychologist in those two areas.
Thanks.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:50 AM

874 posts, read 3,486,490 times
Dizzy..please check out the "I'm afraid" comment and give me your advise. I'm new to the forum as well as Orlando and I'm having an extremely difficult time adjusting. I've been up since 2:30 a.m..its now 7:50 a.m. This snake thing..i just dont think I can get use to it.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 16,119 times
I been in O'town for 25yrs, and yes it is a high crime area, murder rates are high, along with burglary and theft. I have friends and family memebers being involved or witnessed to, from murders, drive bye shootings, burglary, and drugs. O'town do have nice areas, but don't let those nice area's fool you. You just really have to do your research. I finally moved from Orange county to Seminole county in Altamonte Springs, It was good move for me my kids love it here, the schools are great, even in this city you still have a high burglary and theft rate, but as far as murders not at all. My car was stolen a few years back, but it's sorta sad to say i can deal with that anytime vs living in O'town and feeling like I was literaly surrounded by someone being murdered.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:08 AM

8 posts, read 24,238 times
Hi
We Are Thinking About Retiring To Fairways Country Club On Rt 50 Between Alafafy And Longwood- Any Info???
Thanks

Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 AM

4,208 posts, read 4,694,978 times
Default College park

Can you tell me anything about college park? I like that area.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:42 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,595,795 times
College Park is nicer and more established. It is one of my favorite parts of town too. It is generally more affordable and less stuffy than Winter Park, but offers easy access to Winter Park and downtown. It has a lot of the pros of Winter Park but there are more cons too. I think being adjacent to Lee Road, Orange Blossom Trail and Princeton leading out to Silver Star sets College Park in a vulnerable area to surrounding bad areas. For instance, drive down Parramore then up Edgewater by Lake Adair and look at the SHARP contrast of areas almost immediate to eachother. I think the crime is still pretty low but higher than another area like it because of its location. It is a shame really because it is my favorite part of town and fits me the most, but has its downside too. I hope that was helpful and not too negative.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,047 times
Default More questions about commute starting from downtown to Poinciana

Hi, I'm relocating to Orlando...living in an apartment complex near Lake Underhill (near downtown). First, is this area fairly safe? And second, if I were to drive from there to Poinciana everyday for work, would I go insane? I was wondering how good/bad traffic is on Osceola Parkway (which I guess is also Poinciana Blvd?) as I would have to drive on it for 15 miles (from FL-535 S). This would be a commute of about 42 miles one way (yikes!) but at least hopefully going against the flow of traffic? Wilshire, I know you said going westbound in the morning and eastbound in the afternoon would be no problem, but what about once I got off I-4 and onto 535, then Poinciana Blvd, then Pleasant Hills, and then some other roads to get to the schools where I'd be working? Thanks so much for anyone who can give me some insight about this loooong commute! Trying to decide if I can handle the drive for the 08-09 school year!! (I will at least get paid for my travel time).

Old 07-02-2008, 07:16 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,537,130 times
You would go insane that drive is horrendous and forget going home in the afternoon. There are no expressways that take you into Poinciana personally I couldn`t do it try looking for apts in the hunters creek area it`s alot closer.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:25 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,986,935 times
I agree with Alpha. That commute is one of the worst in Central Florida. I live right off of John Young in Kissimmee and see the commuters going to Poinciana and it backs up really bad. It would be a little different if you lived in the far south part of Poinciana in Polk because you can take I-4 to 27 then take a few back roads but that is still a LONG drive. If you are working there then I would suggest looking into housing in Winter Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando