U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2007, 07:28 AM
 
10 posts, read 80,151 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
Maybe you can help me with some information. I have an opportunity to live with a friend in Altamonte Springs. I have also been told if I chose to live on my own I should look into South Apopka. Could you please give me any information (good and bad) as to the safety, atmosphere and anything else I should know about these areas.
Thanks!
If you think the roomate situation would be positive - i say go for it.
Altamonte Springs overall is a safe, cozy area that is only a short Interstate 4 trip to downtown Orlando.

Sounds to me like you would be renting if you come here - probably an apartment? If so, why not go right to Orlando? The apartment prices are about the same.

Also, if you explore a bit, like in the Metro West Area of Orlando - you could easily find a really beautiful, safe, borderline luxury apartment for only slightly higer rent than elsewhere.

The 1st Secret of this thread I will give away:
Metro West is our local best kept secret. If you are coming here wanting to live in an apartment and live INSIDE Orlando, Metro West is the best of the best. Lots & Lots of very recently built apartment complexes, most being very affordable. The funniest thing is, I see rent in places as far out as Lake Mary as costing MORE than the average rent in Metro West. (Lake Mary is incredibly far from Orlando)

Remember, during your search that thier is a distinction between 'West Orlando' and 'Metrowest Orlando'.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 02-22-2007, 07:45 AM
 
10 posts, read 80,151 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessOH View Post
Yes, I would like to ask you some questions. Do you know anything about the Winter Haven. My family is moving to Winter Haven from Ohio due to my husband's job. We are a young family-early 30's with 2 middle school children. I would just like some info. I have heard alot of negative with only some positive. I have already researched school districts online so I know what district I would like to be in but any other info would be nice and helpful. My husband is already in Florida working, I'm still in Ohio trying to sell a house in a depresssed area-not sure when I get to move down.
Winter Haven gets a sour reputation because it is one of our more rural, less-developed towns. All in all, its not that bad though. Coming from a depressed area in Ohio - it will probably be a very welcome change of pace for you. Bottom line - its a small city, not very close to a big city. In Florida that means it can have a somewhat isolated feel to it. From the little time I've spent there I didnt love it by any means - But its for sure not bad, and your close enough to Lakeland which is a definite plus. Also do not forget - you are only an hour and a half outside of Orlando. You'll do good in Winter Haven.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-22-2007, 07:56 AM
 
10 posts, read 80,151 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomoresubways View Post
Okay I have a question for you too. Realizing of course the whole area is completely flat, where would you recommend someone go for a good "hike" in the Orlando area? I call flat hiking "trekking" myself, but everyone has their own term.

In all honestly, all your going to get here is 'trekking'. The whole area is for sure FLAT. I saw someone mention Wekiva, I agree. Maybe try Turkey Lake as well. We also have the entire Everglades to explore. It will take adjustments, but we have a rich natural environment here that the locals neglect to take advantage of - you'll be trekking around in no time.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-22-2007, 08:23 AM
 
2,967 posts, read 1,931,803 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomoresubways View Post
Okay I have a question for you too. Realizing of course the whole area is completely flat, where would you recommend someone go for a good "hike" in the Orlando area? I call flat hiking "trekking" myself, but everyone has their own term.

You can head north to the Ocala National Forest, there is the Florida Trail there for some good trekking. Also, we have some good rail to trails-the West Orange Trail, The Cady Way Trail, and the Seminole Trail, and South Lake and Minneola Trail in Lake County.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-22-2007, 08:26 AM
 
2,967 posts, read 1,931,803 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy is Moving View Post
If you think the roomate situation would be positive - i say go for it.
Altamonte Springs overall is a safe, cozy area that is only a short Interstate 4 trip to downtown Orlando.

Sounds to me like you would be renting if you come here - probably an apartment? If so, why not go right to Orlando? The apartment prices are about the same.

Also, if you explore a bit, like in the Metro West Area of Orlando - you could easily find a really beautiful, safe, borderline luxury apartment for only slightly higer rent than elsewhere.

The 1st Secret of this thread I will give away:
Metro West is our local best kept secret. If you are coming here wanting to live in an apartment and live INSIDE Orlando, Metro West is the best of the best. Lots & Lots of very recently built apartment complexes, most being very affordable. The funniest thing is, I see rent in places as far out as Lake Mary as costing MORE than the average rent in Metro West. (Lake Mary is incredibly far from Orlando)

Remember, during your search that thier is a distinction between 'West Orlando' and 'Metrowest Orlando'.
Is this a joke?? Metro West is crime ridden, very high % of rapes, murders, and robberies. It is a walled off (supposedly high-end) subdivision that is surrounded by a crime infested area (one of the worst in Orlando). I do not know why any one would suggest this area to an unsuspecting out of stater unless they had an ulterior motive.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-22-2007, 09:08 AM
 
107 posts, read 366,721 times
Reputation: 46
metro west is just fine . kirkman rd is a bad area they are not the same very close but you do get crime in the area but it is every place you go . been in the area 14 years never had any trouble
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-22-2007, 10:19 AM
 
208 posts, read 930,336 times
Reputation: 72
Thanks for the tips on where to go trekking in the area. I've been living on Long Island so it's not like we have any hilly terrain here either. I've always enjoyed getting lost in the woods and trails along lakes and rivers. Sounds like I've got plenty of places to choose from, and yes I plan on taking advantage of what most people down that way neglect...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-22-2007, 11:04 AM
 
2,967 posts, read 1,931,803 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridian to relocate View Post
metro west is just fine . kirkman rd is a bad area they are not the same very close but you do get crime in the area but it is every place you go . been in the area 14 years never had any trouble
You must we oblivious to the environment around you. Do you watch news? Do you read the paper? If you did you would have seen that the last two days a family of a murdered college student has been lobbying regarding the issue of crime in Metro West. It is the aniversary of his assualt and murder. He was coming home at night to his Metro West apartment and was shot on his doorstep, his fiancee was inside. The perpetrator was never caught. But this is just one of the many crimes in Metro West. In fact if you do a search on this site of Metro West you will see that many posters have detailed the crime wave that has been in this area for years. Open your eyes, but if you want to keep your head in the sand, at least do not give inaccurate and misleading info to unsuspecting new comers trying to make a decision of where it is safe to live. Metro West is bad news.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-22-2007, 11:36 AM
 
107 posts, read 366,721 times
Reputation: 46
spunky you are wrong yes i do wtch the news read papers , you loy just seem to be looking to find things wrong . you get crime every where you go . so tell everyone where in orlando areas there is no crime rape murder ect you will not find it . metro west is not as bad as people say on hiawassee rd it is down on kirkman area and i do not have my head in the sand .and i do not run around scared for my life in metro west. would be nice for you to tell everone where the areas with no crime are is so we can all move there . look at the crime in heatrow lake mary ect are they not good areas
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-22-2007, 11:43 AM
ARC
 
181 posts, read 740,917 times
Reputation: 99
Default I agree

Metrowest is bad. Yes, it is SUPPOSED to be a nice area but the area around it is not. Even the supposedly "nice" apartments are rough. I taught briefly at an elementary school in that area and the students, even at that age, were rough - talked of gangs, et al. Stay away from Metrowest.



Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
You must we oblivious to the environment around you. Do you watch news? Do you read the paper? If you did you would have seen that the last two days a family of a murdered college student has been lobbying regarding the issue of crime in Metro West. It is the aniversary of his assualt and murder. He was coming home at night to his Metro West apartment and was shot on his doorstep, his fiancee was inside. The perpetrator was never caught. But this is just one of the many crimes in Metro West. In fact if you do a search on this site of Metro West you will see that many posters have detailed the crime wave that has been in this area for years. Open your eyes, but if you want to keep your head in the sand, at least do not give inaccurate and misleading info to unsuspecting new comers trying to make a decision of where it is safe to live. Metro West is bad news.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top