U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:04 PM

40 posts, read 214,521 times

Advertisements

dismom2hann,
Have you thought about Oviedo? It's a really nice area with A schools across the board, it's safe and has lots of shopping and recreation for kids. The housing market there doesn't seem to be too out of control (yet) as other areas of the county have gotten.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-03-2007, 08:00 PM

34 posts, read 115,245 times
Default Tampa -vs- Orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4boys View Post
I am a native Floridian and have lived in Winter Park, Winter Springs, Altamonte Springs, Casselberry, Longwood, Apopka, Deltona, Orlando, and Tampa. Lake Mary is not far at all from downtown as far a miles, but can be a bear with traffic on I-4 in the mornings. Afternoons aren't as bad though. Orlando is spotty with crime, it just all depends on where you live. Just narrow down some areas and then you can research them based on crime, schools, etc... Good luck to you

Between Tampa and Orlando which would you choose and why?

Old 03-04-2007, 10:44 AM

40 posts, read 214,521 times
I lived in Tampa for a year when I was in HS and my dad's entire family still lives there. There are some nice parts of Tampa...New Tampa, Brandon, Valrico. The thing I don't like about Tampa is how industrial it is--a lot of plants there and it just makes it feel dirty to me in parts. Traffic there is no picnic there either anymore. It is closer to the water than Orlando though, so if that's important to you --you might want to consider it.

As for the Orlando area, I'm not a big fan of Orange County as a whole. There are some nice parts...Winter Park, Windermere, Dr. Phillips, but overall I personally wouldn't want to live there. That's just my opinion though. I really like the Longwood and Lake Mary area. We feel safe (or "safer") here I should say than we would in many other places. Seminole County is far enough away from "Mickey" and all the tourists and stuff that comes along with that it still has a certain "surburbia" feel to it. There are parts to avoid like any place, you just have to know where not to go. The schools overall are far superior to the surrounding counties due to the higher taxes we pay. We have a lot of great shopping here and most people just seem to be pretty friendly. Like I said, this is just my personal opinion. I've lived here for 33 years and have watched all of the changes (good and bad), but I'd have to say I'd take it over any other place in Florida that I've been.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:10 PM

105 posts, read 199,072 times
Default Not just hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomoresubways View Post
Okay I have a question for you too. Realizing of course the whole area is completely flat, where would you recommend someone go for a good "hike" in the Orlando area? I call flat hiking "trekking" myself, but everyone has their own term.

Prichard's answer was good...and there is are communities that exist around cycling in the woods and people who run/hike and canoe all over the state. It might be flat but they make up for the effort in distance. Have fun!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:12 PM

208 posts, read 930,249 times
Trust me I plan on having a lot of fun. I am extremely excited, nothing like being able to do what I want for most of the year. During the hottest times, I'll just find the closest body of water to immerse myself in...

Old 03-07-2007, 02:55 PM

6,563 posts, read 13,335,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomoresubways View Post
Trust me I plan on having a lot of fun. I am extremely excited, nothing like being able to do what I want for most of the year. During the hottest times, I'll just find the closest body of water to immerse myself in...
Hopefully a pool or the ocean or you might lose an arm or a leg....

Old 03-07-2007, 03:38 PM

15 posts, read 112,419 times
Don't know if you've seen all the feedback (crime, nasty PR, drugs etc) I've received about Poincianna (near Solivita) but I had not witnessed rude Spanish people when I visited. True my husband & I had not been out late at night, but during the day we do not feel threatend in Public or Winn Dixie or in Wall Mart. Are we carzy or to stupid to see something. Since you said you will not sugar coat it or make up BS, I'm asking you what you think? Thanks

Old 03-07-2007, 05:40 PM

29 posts, read 68,207 times
Default Relocation from England

Hi Dizzy, we are a family with three children aged 14, 10 and 6. Could you give us advise on areas with good schools, good communities and safe. We have already looked at Lake Mary which we like and are also going to look at Windermere. Are there other areas we should consider.
Best regards
Jon

Old 03-08-2007, 12:11 PM

208 posts, read 930,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Hopefully a pool or the ocean or you might lose an arm or a leg....
LOL Valid point! Maybe I'll take up gator wrestling!

Old 03-08-2007, 12:16 PM

16 posts, read 51,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Why are you one of the thousands moving out if you love Orlando? Also have you seen the crime index for Orlando?
yeah probably saw the crime like we all do everyday

i agree people move out because of the crime you know what is funny - some people i read about here pretend there is no crime they live in la la land.

crime in orlando specially is horrible, specially in metro west. it used to be the best area in town now it is horrible rapes murders almost everyday in metro west it makes you wonder why we let all these katrina refugees move down to orlando

i think the other person is getting out because of the hurricanes or maybethe violence - it is enough to amke you wnat to leave and never come back not even to visit

Last edited by CalisterKaley; 03-08-2007 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando