U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 13,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy is Moving View Post
My first post - I have lived all around Central Florida: Orlando, Metro West, Winter Park, Altamonte Springs, Maitland, etc.

The amount of insane people posting about Orlando being some kind of drug crazed, mafia run cess pool is a bunch of BS, to put it kindly. If i had the time to spend to correct all the disinfo & paranoia being posted around here, I would - but i just dont have that kind of time. I am moving to the west coast of the us come July, so in my spare time I'll be in the California forum and i will do my best to help future Orlando residents here in this forum as well.

I am very familiar with Orlando and its close neighboring cities. If your moving here, or considering it, ask me anything you want. I will not sugarcoat it, but more inportantly - I will not give you some kind of delusional paranoid rant on Orlando being the next gotham city.
I love SD but the cost of living is so high that we're considering moving to Orlando. In this forum I have read so many negative things that I'm scared to move but reading your post helped me to reconsider again. Is the crime really high in Orlando?

My second thought, we are considering buying a second home with a pool, who can I talk to about liability if we wanted to rent it out. How is the Waterford lakes area?
Rate this post positively

Old 03-08-2007, 12:53 PM

16 posts, read 51,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendyr4 View Post
I love SD but the cost of living is so high that we're considering moving to Orlando. In this forum I have read so many negative things that I'm scared to move but reading your post helped me to reconsider again. Is the crime really high in Orlando?

My second thought, we are considering buying a second home with a pool, who can I talk to about liability if we wanted to rent it out. How is the Waterford lakes area?
cost of living here in orlando is super high too - you need to do your homework a 1 bed apt costs like $1k minimum

plus you have to worry about home insurance which is skyrocketing and property taxes on a $250k house - which is a trash house for that price - will cost you at least $3k

crime is very very high, check the postings you will SHOCKED at how violent orlando is

here is basically a taste of the caliber of the violence that has engulfed orlando and sourounding areas

http://www.local6.com/news/9649358/detail.html (broken link)

http://www.local6.com/print/11096181/detail.html (broken link)

http://www.wftv.com/news/11195351/detail.html

how is your spanish - if not good you need to study too

Old 03-08-2007, 03:32 PM

11 posts, read 44,692 times
I'm currently moving back to Orlando having spent a few brief years there living as a resident as my family lives there. Central Florida on a whole I had never know to be a crime infested area-and I say this being raised in Detroit, so I'm not your average suburban Joe talking here. Crime is abundant in most big cities-have you ever looked at the crime specs for the West Coast? (i'm not referring to the woman whose moving there but the person who incorrectly attacked her) I'm sure she hasn't-because she could care less!

As for nice areas to move in to, I'm not the Florida expect by far but my experience with Apopka is that it's really hit or miss, and can be almost rural in areas but very trendy and hip in others. Good places to live in are Winter Park, College Park, Altamonte Springs (seems to be the happy medium for most), and yes some parts of Apopka. Daytona (the city, not the strip) is also very nice in most areas even though it's not technically "Central Florida" it is only about 40 min away from the city. Also for more of a 'suburban' feel is Clermont, Ustis(very cute town-with a lake!), Lake Mary-what else? I'll think of some more later.

I will tell you though, it's no lie-the traffic anywhere in the city or really anywhere in CF, is just bad. Not NYC or DC bad, but pretty rough. And public transportation is pretty much the same as Detroit-greasy old busses except they are painted brighter colors and look a lot better. I would stay away from anywhere south of Orlando (kissimmee, etc) as you just get too much of the tourist traffic, prices and those people are just flippin' annoying.

Oh yeah, in the summer the traffic is much better as most of the 'snow birds' have gone back up north.

And when you just can't stand the heat in the summer, everyday at approx 2p it just turns black and pours for 20 min and in the blink of an eye-it's gone again and it's just another day in paradise.

I have moved back and forth from MI to FL several times and I could never quite get over leaving the sunshine state. If your from the Midwest or the Northeast you'll either absolutely hate it there or completely fall for the place. There really is no in-between it seems with most transplants.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 11,200 times
Lightbulb +15 year Orlando Resident Here-Ask Me Anything

Dizzy , I read your post and thought i would respond. I need some answers about moving to Orlando ,Florida. I was born and raised in the state of RI and moved to the state of NH in 1985. The winters here are brutal and we are retired and my husband cannot deal with the snow any more. Also we are sick of being house bound 6 months of the year because of the extreme cold and snow. We have done a lot of thinking about what we plan on doing and moving to Florida is what we decided. Orlando area is where we feel we will settle. We cant afford an expensive home in Florida, but we are planning on moving into a doublewide mobile in a very nice adult park. We are trying to sell our home here and hooking up our camper and heading to Orlando. We will stat at camp sites until we find what we want. We can purchase a doublewide on a park for under $50,000 or even less. I have heard so many things that people say that are so negative to this move. I really feel this is where we will be happy . My family is all grown and live here in NH , but they can always come visit. Someone said we wont be able to afford HO insurance down there, How much could it cost on a $40-50,000 home in a park? And the taxes couldn't be that great that we could not pay them. Any in put that you can give me will be appreciated. You can send me a private message if you like. I just want to make sure we are going in the right direction. As far as the heat down there , we are prepared for that , and prefer it to the dreadful cold here. Thank you for any help you can give me.
FreewillEllie

Old 03-10-2007, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,285 times
Default Thinking of moving...

Hey, just wondering if Orlando area is nice place to raise kids. I lived in South fla for over 8 years, then moved to BUFFALO to get married! Our son is almost 2 now and hubby is ready for a change. Sfla is TOO nuts and too expensive -I need a change of pace, but don't want to be someplace where they roll the streets up @ 7pm either. I need good shopping in a nice area where we aren't bombarded with TOO much excitement...kind of middle-of-the-road, and hopefully with decent preschools and churches nearby. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated!
Thanks

Old 03-10-2007, 05:03 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,086,496 times
Thumbs up Orlando metro?

OK I'm posting this about a slightly different area, but I've been reading that in the near future the Leesburg/Eustis/Mt. Dora area will soon be Orlando metro area, too. Does anyone believe this is true? Is the growth that rapid?

Also, I was reading about a new bus line that Orlando was starting up that would include those same areas going as far as the villages. It is in today's Leesburg newspaper. Does anyone know anything more about this? They said the rates would be 1.00 per trip. Is that even possible? They will be heavily funded and get the buses free, but still..... I've seen signs of our local bus and they charge 3.50 one day and 4.50 for trips after 5pm. I don't believe they have any monthly rates like the paper said that this new busline will have. Just to add that I have a car and I do drive, but don't like heavy traffic and it seems the traffic there is growing rapidly.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:44 AM

5 posts, read 53,784 times
Smile Why I'm Moving Back

We moved to the lovely Hunters Creek/N. Kissimmmee area last year for a job opportunity. Coming from the west coast we were able to get a much bigger, better house for a lot less. We did stretch our dollar and buy a gorgeous pool home in a well-kept and maturely landscaped neighborhood. We have very nice, upstanding neighbors, we find most things (besides insurance and taxes) are cheaper than our hometown, traffic is not as bad and we love the weather HOWEVER we are moving back as soon as we sell our home and here's why: we simply like where we came from better. A few things color our opinion 1) our home was broken into within a week of moving in - nothing to steal really but it did convince us never to live here without an active alarm system 2) no one seems to be from here - everyone is from somewhere else, that gives it such a transitory feeling 3) we don't speak spanish, it seems like you won't be able to get by here in 5 years without knowing spanish fluently 4) everything is so spread out - it's hard to get anywhere without driving - the town we came from was known for being walkable and accessible without a car - we never realized how much we loved that. All that being said I think there are a lot of good things about Central Florida - particularly this Hunters Creek, Loop area - lots of new restaurants and stores, beautiful and well-planned neighborhoods and friendly people. In the end any decision on where to live comes down to what you want out of life - we simply want something else but we'll always come back to visit

Old 03-12-2007, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 6,416 times
I currently live in Miami fla, we moved here about 4 years ago from orlando (436/UNIVERSITY) Area to help out my mother(fix up her home etc.)

we are now moving back and i have been trying to read up on the communities as we have been gone a while, we settled on poincia
(blackstone landing sub) but, i have been reading threads here that say it isn't a great place to live and now i am concerned. we really loved the community an it seemed warm and friendly. but, i have seen people saying here that poinciana is filled with lots of spanish people who walk unleashed pitbulls..lol (basically leading to the idea that it is a ghetto type enviroment) i am curios to hear different opinions.

my family is a mixed one
( I am hispanic/white, husband black, children mixed and my mother is white)
we visited various areas some of the homes were very nice , some not so nice but alot were predominatley white or black, and it was very hard to find a community we felt was a multi cultural one so, we all would feel comfortable.

we thought poinciana was a nice blend...was i wrong?

Old 03-12-2007, 02:32 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,986,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanne33189 View Post
I currently live in Miami fla, we moved here about 4 years ago from orlando (436/UNIVERSITY) Area to help out my mother(fix up her home etc.)

we are now moving back and i have been trying to read up on the communities as we have been gone a while, we settled on poincia
(blackstone landing sub) but, i have been reading threads here that say it isn't a great place to live and now i am concerned. we really loved the community an it seemed warm and friendly. but, i have seen people saying here that poinciana is filled with lots of spanish people who walk unleashed pitbulls..lol (basically leading to the idea that it is a ghetto type enviroment) i am curios to hear different opinions.

my family is a mixed one
we visited various areas some of the homes were very nice , some not so nice but alot were predominatley white or black, and it was very hard to find a community we felt was a multi cultural one so, we all would feel comfortable.

There is a lot of Hispanic in Poinciana but I think you will find it isn't that bad. Are you in a newer subdivision and are you in Osceola or Polk county? Believe it or not that makes a HUGE difference. Polk county side of Poinciana is much quieter as is the new subdvisions. My sister lives in the Polk county part of Poinciana (Marion Lake Subdivision) and really loves it. It is scenic and quiet. She does all her shopping in Lake Wales area and says that it is great. The shopping in Poinciana isn't that bad but it is geared toward the hispanic population so that might bother you. The older part of Poinciana near Walmart is a little troublesome but no bullets flying or anything. I think the house prices are great but the commute and traffic can kill you - but they are working on that so stick with it!
Another great thing about Poinciana is the association. They make sure that the neighborhoods don't get to run down and at the same time they are not as strict as other associations and they are not that expensive. You get the great community house and other facilities and the security (which isn't the best but hey its better than nothing). Hopefully though, you do not have to pay another association fee on top of that for your subdivision. Hope this helps!

Quote:

my family is a mixed one

one more thing - about your question of the multicultural atmosphere and if you would feel comfortable - I think you picked one of the best parts of Central Florida to feel comfortable in because mixed families are very normal in this area. However, I have come across a few Hispanic people who do not like it if you have Hispanic back-ground and you have not taught your children Spanish. A friend of mine is in this situation and has felt a little bit of hostility from other parents at her children's schools. The public schools there are around 80% Hispanic so keep that in mind as well.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 6,416 times
Quote:

my family is a mixed one

We picked a home in osceola county.The sub is called BlackStone Landing (S.Poinciana & Octavia Blvd)...It is near Poinciana High School

I am hoping all turns out well, It seemed like a nice quiet community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando