Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 08:09 AM

4 posts, read 10,980 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Florida in a few months. We have 3 boys in school. We will be renting for awhile. I have seen 2 homes that I like. One in Kissimmee and one in Davenport. The one in Davenport says Poinciana High School. I want to move to the better school district. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you
P.S. Is th crime really that bad? Lori

Old 01-02-2008, 11:50 AM

43 posts, read 180,532 times
I've read over most of these posts and all I have to say is LOL. I must be immune to carjackings and mugging because having lived there from 1992 to January 2007, I've never experienced any of these misfortunes.

I lived in Pine Hills for majority of my time in Orlando and I can vouch for anyone who says Metro West is not what it use to be (hell, it's more or less as bad as "Crime Hills").

HOWEVER...

Metro West is boiling over with crime and most of the nay sayers are really blasting the hell out of the place. Anyone who was considering going to MetroWest should look into the Conway area. Around the airport was pretty safe (Could even walk down the street at night *shocker!!*). It's not as great as it use to be but having moved away, I'm dying to get back to it.

Orlando isn't Detroit, Philly, The 5 boroughs, or any seemingly war torn city. It has a lot more good than people are willing to admit and that's what I just don't understand; though, it is NOT as good as it use to be and that's something the topic creator seems to be missing.

I say that to this. A lot of people on here are really hating Orlando for whatever reasons so their judgments are clouded, at best. Like was previously stated in this thread, I'm all for pushing Orlando up but most of these comments are just to scare people.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:16 PM

17 posts, read 52,524 times
Ok - my family and I are moving to Orlando from the u.k (I have a post already regarding areas to move to). At the moment, all I can see is people slating Orlando? Firstly, if its that bad then why are you all still living there? Secondly, there is crime everywhere in the world, I for one do not want to be in the middle of it (as Im sure no one does), but seriously, you guys are making Orlando sound like gang man land. Surely its not that bad? Perhaps you should take a vacation to some other country (Kenya, middle east etc) and see how bad crime really is?
Is there anyone out there who has anything positive to say about there home/country ... please!!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:42 PM

207 posts, read 926,202 times
I have been in Orlando for almost 3 months and I'm glad I didn't listen to the naysayers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateuk29 View Post
Ok - my family and I are moving to Orlando from the u.k (I have a post already regarding areas to move to). At the moment, all I can see is people slating Orlando? Firstly, if its that bad then why are you all still living there? Secondly, there is crime everywhere in the world, I for one do not want to be in the middle of it (as Im sure no one does), but seriously, you guys are making Orlando sound like gang man land. Surely its not that bad? Perhaps you should take a vacation to some other country (Kenya, middle east etc) and see how bad crime really is?
Is there anyone out there who has anything positive to say about there home/country ... please!!!!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,155 times
Default Altamonte Springs Mall

I'm hoping you can help me get some piece of mind. My son is currently thinking of moving within 5 mins walking distance of the Altamonte Mall. He is also currently working in this same area. He's hoping this area is safe. He's too busy w/work etc to check things out and has asked good old mom to do his grunt work. Can you tell us about the area? He's barely able to afford a studio apt here. Thanks Carolynne

Old 01-14-2008, 06:12 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolynne View Post
I'm hoping you can help me get some piece of mind. My son is currently thinking of moving within 5 mins walking distance of the Altamonte Mall. He is also currently working in this same area. He's hoping this area is safe. He's too busy w/work etc to check things out and has asked good old mom to do his grunt work. Can you tell us about the area? He's barely able to afford a studio apt here. Thanks Carolynne

The area is safe but the area around the mall is very busy with traffic but the neighborhoods off palm springs and surrounding areas are very nice.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:14 PM

45 posts, read 161,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy is Moving View Post
My first post - I have lived all around Central Florida: Orlando, Metro West, Winter Park, Altamonte Springs, Maitland, etc.

The amount of insane people posting about Orlando being some kind of drug crazed, mafia run cess pool is a bunch of BS, to put it kindly. If i had the time to spend to correct all the disinfo & paranoia being posted around here, I would - but i just dont have that kind of time. I am moving to the west coast of the us come July, so in my spare time I'll be in the California forum and i will do my best to help future Orlando residents here in this forum as well.

I am very familiar with Orlando and its close neighboring cities. If your moving here, or considering it, ask me anything you want. I will not sugarcoat it, but more inportantly - I will not give you some kind of delusional paranoid rant on Orlando being the next gotham city.
Cosidering the Oviedo area ,house price range 300 to 400. Heard the high schools are good. Hows the shopping and restaurants and surrounding areas. Is it a safe area and the surrounding area,traffic? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:17 AM

45 posts, read 161,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy is Moving View Post
My first post - I have lived all around Central Florida: Orlando, Metro West, Winter Park, Altamonte Springs, Maitland, etc.

The amount of insane people posting about Orlando being some kind of drug crazed, mafia run cess pool is a bunch of BS, to put it kindly. If i had the time to spend to correct all the disinfo & paranoia being posted around here, I would - but i just dont have that kind of time. I am moving to the west coast of the us come July, so in my spare time I'll be in the California forum and i will do my best to help future Orlando residents here in this forum as well.

I am very familiar with Orlando and its close neighboring cities. If your moving here, or considering it, ask me anything you want. I will not sugarcoat it, but more inportantly - I will not give you some kind of delusional paranoid rant on Orlando being the next gotham city.
Dizzy, I'm still waiting for your Help!!!!!I asked the last question,Thanks

Old 01-15-2008, 10:34 AM

640 posts, read 3,075,275 times
Dizzy hasn't posted too much since this one... last year. I don't think she's around anymore.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 9,299 times
I may be transfering my job to Lake Nona area and will need to find a place to rent near there, and I prefer to not have to deal with too much traffic; can you recommend a nice area to move to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando