Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2007, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,443 times

Advertisements

I have heard so many different stories about Florida like low-paying jobs, elevated crime rates and racism. I am a minority which is the majority here in New York City. I have searched far and wide for a decent place to move to with my two daughters. My friend live in Sanford for about 3 months. She hated it. Everyone was basically segregated into different parts of the complex. She moved from there to Altamonte Springs/Fern Park. She doesn't like it there either. She doesn't have a car because she can't afford one. She lives paycheck to paycheck.
Can you recommend a decent place to live in Florida where there are top rated middle and high schools, low crime and decent paying jobs?

Old 10-27-2007, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,457 times
Default High Crime Bigger Buildings Bring More Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Why are you one of the thousands moving out if you love Orlando? Also have you seen the crime index for Orlando?
I AGREE TOTALLY ORLANDO IS TURNMG INTO AN EXTREMELY HIGH CRIME AREA.'S I WAS JUST CARJACK BY A GUN AND ASSULTED AND NOT EVEN 2 DAYS AGO HAD MY OTHER CAR STOLEN RIGHT OUT OF A PARKING LOT WHILE I WAS WAITING FOR THE DAMN TOW TRUCK CO. CANNOT WAIT TO MOVE

Old 10-27-2007, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 15,479 times
Default Relocating to Orlando

My husband will be starting a job in Altamonte Springs next week and my daughter and I will be moving in December. We will be relocating from Miami (Doral, FL to be more exact) and I'm concerned about the crime rate (especially since I have a little girl). How safe is it in Altamonte Springs? I've been read a few postings which make me wonder if moving there is the right choice.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer and also let me know which areas to stay away from. How is the job market and is it worth working in Orlando?

Old 10-27-2007, 07:12 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnune View Post
My husband will be starting a job in Altamonte Springs next week and my daughter and I will be moving in December. We will be relocating from Miami (Doral, FL to be more exact) and I'm concerned about the crime rate (especially since I have a little girl). How safe is it in Altamonte Springs? I've been read a few postings which make me wonder if moving there is the right choice.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer and also let me know which areas to stay away from. How is the job market and is it worth working in Orlando?
Altamonte Springs is ok as long as its west of Ronald Regan Blvd...then there are some shady areas...but by the Altamonte mall is beautifull and pretty safe with the everyday normal stuff in an city.....i am from Miami too.....and used to actually live in Altamonte.....just Private message me if you want some real info about how it is compared to where u live in Miami

Old 10-29-2007, 11:59 AM

8 posts, read 33,036 times
Default Local knowledge?

I am looking at a condo on Caralee Blvd in the Villas Del Sol Subdivision. Any comments about the area/ neighborhood would be appreciated? Thanks for your help.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:50 PM

30 posts, read 103,039 times
Default Orlando and its Suburbia

First of all, as a long, long time Central Florida resident (35 years), I probably have a more unique insight into the area the most people. I have watch the area go from groves and pasture land to tract housing, and over crowded roads.

First item, mass transit in Central Florida is a joke. The Lynx bus system is spread way too thin for the area. Remember Central Florida extents from Kissimmee to North of Deland, from Geneva to Clermont, we are talking a huge area. Most of our roads were designed for traffic levels of the 1980's, not 2010. And with only 3 major non-toll roads (I-4, 17-92,436) we are often gridlock between 7am and 9am and again from 4pm to 7pm. So basically we are like every other metropolitian area.

But we have a special treat for people. Central Florida is still the number one travel destination in the World. With an estimated 1.5 million residents, we add around 5 million tourist to our area, and roads. These visitors come from around the world with different takes on how to drive, so be prepared.

Second housing. If you want a good analog of the type of house by age, think of a tree trunk and its growth rings. the further you get from downtown Orlando, the new the homes. There are certain areas that never seem to have issues with home sales, but you pay for it. One thing is certain is that prices have gone insane. Homes that cost 150K in 1998 were and are still priced at 300K+! ITS a damn 150K home for crying out loud.

Schools. One of my favorite subjects. Thanks to former Gov. Jeb, Central Florida schools have been on a 10 year decline. Too many experienced, and dedicated teachers have left the systems. Many of the schools that open, started out overcrowded. Lots of the teachers do not teach kids in their areas of expertised, or training. Our local school District (Orange County) wasted 2 billion dollars of bond money, and all we got was a lousy high school, a middle school and a few elementary schools. That is the mindset of the some school districts. Seminole County long considered one of the top school districts in the area, is now facing many of the issues that Orange county went thru, and is going down the same path.

Jobs in Central Florida. Let's face it, most of the jobs in Central Florida are service industry jobs, low paying and back breaking. There are spots of high tech jobs, but the long touted line that Central Florida is next Silcon Valley (ie Silcon Swamp) is pretty much bunk. Corporations move to Central Florida to shed high paying jobs for lower paying ones, just that simple.

Taxes. Central Florida enjoys the unfettered spending of government officials, who are toadies to such corporations as Disney, and DeVos family. Simply put, they ask for more taxes, and spend it as directed by their benefactors.

Culture. Are you kidding, other than Monster Truck Rally's, and an occasionally Off Broadway Play, Orlando pretty much is a cultural desert.

So what is it that attracts people to Central Florida? I have no idea, and if I had not grown up here, I would never of moved here.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:24 PM

61 posts, read 263,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims2321 View Post
First of all, as a long, long time Central Florida resident (35 years), I probably have a more unique insight into the area the most people. I have watch the area go from groves and pasture land to tract housing, and over crowded roads.

First item, mass transit in Central Florida is a joke. The Lynx bus system is spread way too thin for the area. Remember Central Florida extents from Kissimmee to North of Deland, from Geneva to Clermont, we are talking a huge area. Most of our roads were designed for traffic levels of the 1980's, not 2010. And with only 3 major non-toll roads (I-4, 17-92,436) we are often gridlock between 7am and 9am and again from 4pm to 7pm. So basically we are like every other metropolitian area.

But we have a special treat for people. Central Florida is still the number one travel destination in the World. With an estimated 1.5 million residents, we add around 5 million tourist to our area, and roads. These visitors come from around the world with different takes on how to drive, so be prepared.

Second housing. If you want a good analog of the type of house by age, think of a tree trunk and its growth rings. the further you get from downtown Orlando, the new the homes. There are certain areas that never seem to have issues with home sales, but you pay for it. One thing is certain is that prices have gone insane. Homes that cost 150K in 1998 were and are still priced at 300K+! ITS a damn 150K home for crying out loud.

Schools. One of my favorite subjects. Thanks to former Gov. Jeb, Central Florida schools have been on a 10 year decline. Too many experienced, and dedicated teachers have left the systems. Many of the schools that open, started out overcrowded. Lots of the teachers do not teach kids in their areas of expertised, or training. Our local school District (Orange County) wasted 2 billion dollars of bond money, and all we got was a lousy high school, a middle school and a few elementary schools. That is the mindset of the some school districts. Seminole County long considered one of the top school districts in the area, is now facing many of the issues that Orange county went thru, and is going down the same path.

Jobs in Central Florida. Let's face it, most of the jobs in Central Florida are service industry jobs, low paying and back breaking. There are spots of high tech jobs, but the long touted line that Central Florida is next Silcon Valley (ie Silcon Swamp) is pretty much bunk. Corporations move to Central Florida to shed high paying jobs for lower paying ones, just that simple.

Taxes. Central Florida enjoys the unfettered spending of government officials, who are toadies to such corporations as Disney, and DeVos family. Simply put, they ask for more taxes, and spend it as directed by their benefactors.

Culture. Are you kidding, other than Monster Truck Rally's, and an occasionally Off Broadway Play, Orlando pretty much is a cultural desert.

So what is it that attracts people to Central Florida? I have no idea, and if I had not grown up here, I would never of moved here.
You're just being negative. Take a moment to really think about these criticisms. I'll give you the public transportation, but...

Tourists: Unless you drive around the tourist areas what does this actually affect (aside from giving you more things to do if you want to)? I never drive down there so I never see tourists. What's the big deal?

Housing: Where'd you get this tree trunk idea? There are plenty of old home in outlying places like Oviedo too. In any case, housing prices have gone up everywhere in the US and they remain relatively cheap here. I for one think the $300k 2500 square foot home in a nice suburb is still ridiculously cheap. My gosh how greedy have people become? To think that you should live in a mansion for $300k! Cause that's what this is- a mansion! They are absurdely cheap and should go up more. You know lots of people live in houses half that size for twice the cost around major cities in this country and they aren't complaining.

Schools: A whole bunch of Seminole Country schools were on the top high schools list THIS YEAR. What makes you say things are going downhill? Sounds like one of the best districts in the country. Not only that, but the houses cost half as much as similarly rated districts on the east and west coast.

Jobs: Such pessimism. We've got a medical school coming, a major biomed research company coming, one of the largest universities in the country (and bringing in over $100 million in research grants this year!). We have the largest hi-tec simulation and training industry in the country, and one of the country's top ranked research parks full of high tech companies. The trend is going to be up. These are exactly the ingredients that lead to an improving job markt.

Taxes: Well, you forgot to mention there is no state income tax. Man, you sure would enjoy it living in a state with one of those.

Culture: Ok it's true there is no culture. But Monster Truck Rallies? Must have missed out on those.

I'm not saying it's great but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be. Too many exagerations. Let's not infest other people with our own negativity.

ores

Old 10-30-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oresident View Post
You're just being negative. Take a moment to really think about these criticisms. I'll give you the public transportation, but...

Tourists: Unless you drive around the tourist areas what does this actually affect (aside from giving you more things to do if you want to)? I never drive down there so I never see tourists. What's the big deal?

Housing: Where'd you get this tree trunk idea? There are plenty of old home in outlying places like Oviedo too. In any case, housing prices have gone up everywhere in the US and they remain relatively cheap here. I for one think the $300k 2500 square foot home in a nice suburb is still ridiculously cheap. My gosh how greedy have people become? To think that you should live in a mansion for $300k! Cause that's what this is- a mansion! They are absurdely cheap and should go up more. You know lots of people live in houses half that size for twice the cost around major cities in this country and they aren't complaining.

Schools: A whole bunch of Seminole Country schools were on the top high schools list THIS YEAR. What makes you say things are going downhill? Sounds like one of the best districts in the country. Not only that, but the houses cost half as much as similarly rated districts on the east and west coast.

Jobs: Such pessimism. We've got a medical school coming, a major biomed research company coming, one of the largest universities in the country (and bringing in over $100 million in research grants this year!). We have the largest hi-tec simulation and training industry in the country, and one of the country's top ranked research parks full of high tech companies. The trend is going to be up. These are exactly the ingredients that lead to an improving job markt.

Taxes: Well, you forgot to mention there is no state income tax. Man, you sure would enjoy it living in a state with one of those.

Culture: Ok it's true there is no culture. But Monster Truck Rallies? Must have missed out on those.

I'm not saying it's great but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be. Too many exagerations. Let's not infest other people with our own negativity.

ores
The one thing i would disagree with on your reply is about the school system here in the area.....

Fact file: America's 'dropout factories' - Education - MSNBC.com

of coarse Orlando has some good schools but the drop out rate here in Florida is the second worst in the nation...and the states behind Florida in this category don't even come close to our drop-out rate...that has to tell you something about the school system as a whole here in Florida

Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
just sc is worse, but i think they have been known to have pretty bad schools. it suprises me though that states like miss., ky, w.va arent worse than florida and nevada

Old 10-30-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
just sc is worse, but i think they have been known to have pretty bad schools. it suprises me though that states like miss., ky, w.va arent worse than florida and nevada
In the actual article from that report it stated that in South Carolina that alot of young people didnt think school was a first choice in the past because they had lots of jobs in factories there and that used to be the norm...but now the people have kept the same attitude even without there being the same kind of jobs to go to......in Florida its different.....its just a terrible school system overall here and there really hasnt ever been lots of factory jobs or office jobs or anything to go to instead of getting a highschool degree.....the lifestyle here for young people is what makes the drop out rate so high here now....to many bad things to get into in "all" areas of Florida whether it be the innercity, suburbs or small towns throughout Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando