Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 12:51 PM

16 posts, read 56,779 times

Advertisements

Relocating from NY - need to be near Tavares - have 3 small children and am looking for a young neiborhood - -any ideas?

Old 02-27-2007, 02:01 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
Thank you blueoktober, your post is very helpful. I have been looking around the Altamonte Springs area as I have a friend who invited me to come down there and be her roommate. My interest in moving there is to not stay a renter forever but to find an affordable safe small property to purchase in the area.

You mention that you moved out of the state. Can I ask where and why? Thanks.
I think you would really like Altamonte. It's got everything you need as for shopping and food. It's a short distance (but can be a long drive) to downtown. It has movie theaters, malls, mini golf, skating, etc etc.

As for why I moved? Well, it's hard to explain without offending people. I bought a nice new house out in St. Cloud and got transfered to a job in Altamonte Springs. That is like 37 miles. It wasn't horrible the first 2 years but then the people came and the traffic came and the crime came. After the hurricanes of 2004 Orlando just seemed to change overnight. TO ME, and this just my observation, people were completely TAXED. They couldn't take anymore heat, storms, traffic, etc. People became very indifferent or even rude. The housing boom caused such traffic that by the time I got to work I was so frazzled I couldnt think. Everything seemed to become a burden. Just going to the grocery store become an event I didnt want to endure. Crowds, rude people, traffic, a large population of undesirable people changed the landscape. It could have all been bad timing or it could all really be real, but it FELT real. It felt like I was spending 90% of my life frazzled and I just wanted to stop feeling that way. I didnt want old women trying to kill me with their cars or teenage girls throwing bottles of water at my car after they cut me off, etc.

So I moved to Nashville, where I was raised. But here comes the irony. It's becoming Orlando part 2 here. Everyone from Florida is moving here and making it JUST LIKE what they are leaving. I miss Florida now. I had the amenities that made life exciting and I guess I figured out that life is like this everywhere unless I move to Montana, and how long will it be before Montana changes? I miss the beach, I miss the theme parks, the tropical landscaping, etc. But I cannot come back because I cannot afford a house there again like I had or have now. My house I bought for 250k sold for near 500k. I cannot make enough money to have that again and it would cost me MORE to live in a 3/2 bath than it did my 5/3 with a pool and an acre. That just ain't right! lol.

So I am moving to Austin TX soon because well, economy is great, people are the nicest I have ever seen and housing is half of what it is in Orlando.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:25 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,747 times
Wow! I can't believe people are actually saying Winter Garden is nice! It has been 7 years since I moved out of the Orlando area, and I know things change, but seriously...I would never have thought of Winter Garden as some place I would ever choose to live. For the 13 years I lived in Windermere, Winter Garden was the pits. Good ole boy central.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:35 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erica3 View Post
Relocating from NY - need to be near Tavares - have 3 small children and am looking for a young neiborhood - -any ideas?
Tavares itself should be pretty reasonable... Maybe Eustis or Mt Dora as well.....

Bottom line is that actually needing to be near Tavares instead of needing to be near Orlando proper is a good thing..... You need to be where the real estate is cheaper in the first place.... Good thing...

Old 02-27-2007, 04:02 PM

99 posts, read 553,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
Wow! I can't believe people are actually saying Winter Garden is nice! It has been 7 years since I moved out of the Orlando area, and I know things change, but seriously...I would never have thought of Winter Garden as some place I would ever choose to live. For the 13 years I lived in Windermere, Winter Garden was the pits. Good ole boy central.
Maybe much has changed but there is a significant disparity between the affluent subdivisions and its rural neighbors. Some parts of WG do look worn down but the cookie cutter homes are moving in pretty fast. I'll be a new transplant in the area in March. These homes are very nice: Bronson's Landing, MI Homes, Stoneybrook West, etc. They aren't cheap either!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:04 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
I think you would really like Altamonte. It's got everything you need as for shopping and food. It's a short distance (but can be a long drive) to downtown. It has movie theaters, malls, mini golf, skating, etc etc.

As for why I moved? Well, it's hard to explain without offending people. I bought a nice new house out in St. Cloud and got transfered to a job in Altamonte Springs. That is like 37 miles. It wasn't horrible the first 2 years but then the people came and the traffic came and the crime came. After the hurricanes of 2004 Orlando just seemed to change overnight. TO ME, and this just my observation, people were completely TAXED. They couldn't take anymore heat, storms, traffic, etc. People became very indifferent or even rude. The housing boom caused such traffic that by the time I got to work I was so frazzled I couldnt think. Everything seemed to become a burden. Just going to the grocery store become an event I didnt want to endure. Crowds, rude people, traffic, a large population of undesirable people changed the landscape. It could have all been bad timing or it could all really be real, but it FELT real. It felt like I was spending 90% of my life frazzled and I just wanted to stop feeling that way. I didnt want old women trying to kill me with their cars or teenage girls throwing bottles of water at my car after they cut me off, etc.

So I moved to Nashville, where I was raised. But here comes the irony. It's becoming Orlando part 2 here. Everyone from Florida is moving here and making it JUST LIKE what they are leaving. I miss Florida now. I had the amenities that made life exciting and I guess I figured out that life is like this everywhere unless I move to Montana, and how long will it be before Montana changes? I miss the beach, I miss the theme parks, the tropical landscaping, etc. But I cannot come back because I cannot afford a house there again like I had or have now. My house I bought for 250k sold for near 500k. I cannot make enough money to have that again and it would cost me MORE to live in a 3/2 bath than it did my 5/3 with a pool and an acre. That just ain't right! lol.

So I am moving to Austin TX soon because well, economy is great, people are the nicest I have ever seen and housing is half of what it is in Orlando.
Austin is a great choice! Actually, Austin was my second choice if the roommate situation didn't work out. I also looked into North Carolina, but I have a bad feeling I wouldn't be happy there.

I don't think you'd like living in Montana. From what I understand, it's kind of desolate and they have very harsh winters. Although I could be wrong, but it's just what I've been hearing.

Your situation sounds a lot like those who sell their homes in California to get away from the craziness to move somewhere where the cost of living is less. They miss California and want to go back, but can no longer afford to because of the constantly climbing housing costs. It's a sad reality and I wish this housing inflation would end already as it's making things more difficult for many all over the nation.

Good luck on your move to Austin.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:10 AM

7 posts, read 85,096 times
I have a question. I've stayed away from this forum for awhile because the negativity got to me - but I'm back.

Husband is a finalist for a teaching position at Valencia. He would be teaching (at least at first) at the main campus if he gets the position. We really, really like the looks of Avalon Park but realize that's a long commute to Valencia.

Are there any other areas we should look at? Most important things to us?
A neighborhood feel
Sidewalks (our eleven year old is special needs)
Under 275K for at least homes (small is fine)
Great schools. A schools. Specifically a really good middle school as our daughter will be in sixth grade next year.

We're Floridians but are on the panhandle right now.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-01-2007, 06:42 AM

16 posts, read 56,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Tavares itself should be pretty reasonable... Maybe Eustis or Mt Dora as well.....

Bottom line is that actually needing to be near Tavares instead of needing to be near Orlando proper is a good thing..... You need to be where the real estate is cheaper in the first place.... Good thing...
Eustis and Tavares are pretty rural, arent they? I've been to Mount Dora and liked the town, but is it good for young families? Is Lake MAry very far?
thanks for your help

Old 03-01-2007, 02:11 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erica3 View Post
Eustis and Tavares are pretty rural, arent they? I've been to Mount Dora and liked the town, but is it good for young families? Is Lake MAry very far?
thanks for your help
Lake Mary would probably be a good 45 minutes or so.... Nice area though and Seminole County has awesome schools....

Eustis and Tavares are slowly being swallowed up by the Orlando sprawl and are turning much less rural these days....

As far as Mount Dora and how it is for young families I have no real personal experience there, but would imagine it would be a fine place to live..

Old 03-01-2007, 08:02 PM

40 posts, read 226,826 times
I am a native Floridian and have lived in Winter Park, Winter Springs, Altamonte Springs, Casselberry, Longwood, Apopka, Deltona, Orlando, and Tampa. Lake Mary is not far at all from downtown as far a miles, but can be a bear with traffic on I-4 in the mornings. Afternoons aren't as bad though. Orlando is spotty with crime, it just all depends on where you live. Just narrow down some areas and then you can research them based on crime, schools, etc... Good luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando