Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:26 PM

18 posts, read 90,551 times

Advertisements

I've heard A LOT about Full Sail. I really wanna go to school for Music recording/Production...and Full Sail looks like its got the Rep. for that area. I've heard some pros and cons of the school. I'm sure it lives up to its name, but heard the class hours can be Crazy...Has anyne ever attended Full Sail or knows of anyone who has?...I understand its REALLY expensive..is it worth the $$$$????...how is Orlando???...the school???...any feedback would be awesome about the school, the city, job placements, the people..etc...thanks guys!

Last edited by Dannyboi8; 11-17-2008 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 07:32 PM

469 posts, read 1,634,864 times
I take Full Sail's Entertainment Business Bachelors of Science degree online, and I must say it is a great school. It focuses on many, many aspects, if not all, of the entertainment business, from the artistic side, to the business side, and in between. It's also very specific in it's teachings, so even though it focuses on so much, its specific to each, which may be why the work load is so much and yes it is true, you definately put a lot of hours into work.

I wish you the best, the music recording/production was what I wanted to major in originally, but switched. Good luck, it's a great school whether you go their or do it online. Message me if you need to know anything else.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:34 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
I know several people who attend, have graduated from, or teach there. Because the program is compact, it's intense and grueling. Although the careers that you train for can be equally so.

You get a lot of hands on training, that's one thing that I hear over and over that the students like about the program. It is really expensive, but keep in mind that you are gtting the same program that many colleges stretch out to three or even four years. it's jsut really concentrated at Full Sail.

They seem to have decent placement help, but then again it depends on what you are looking to do.

Twenty years ago Full Sail was a joke. Now, they are cutting edge and well respected.

As far as the area, lots of nightlife. Full Sail is nearby Rollins College and UCF, so plenty of party spots, but at Full Sail you won't have much time for that.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:35 PM

8,274 posts, read 12,804,663 times
i Have known a few people that went there. Most seem to get positions in their field of interest. Some of the majors are a bit saturated with supply so you might want to inquire about that. They do indeed have sporatic hours and you will likely have classes or assignments into the morning hours.
They seem to attract a great deal of people that utilize their skills, the various networks, or studios seem to roll into town pretty regularly. I hear they are really expensive, from60k-120k depending on major. That is as much as 2 years at Rollins college ( private and expensive college)
As to Orlando, its a great place. You have the parks and of interest to you would be the studio, Universal. It seems WDW has severed its ties to MGM so I don't know the status of that.
It seems if you are flexible in location you can readily use the training FullSail can provide.
I suggest a visit to the campus, and go to the places around for lunch and talk to students for the real story. Those I know seem to feel good about the experience. Good Luck.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:35 PM

944 posts, read 3,834,460 times
Buy ProTools and/or Logic, learn, move to NYC, L.A., or Nashville; be funny, work hard, use common sense, don't do drugs or drink.

Also, have a good ear. Forget everything else if you don't have an ear for music.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 25,088 times
I am looking at that School also, I have read ALOT of bad things and ALOT of good things... Not sure what to think. Suppose I went with the plan of getting a BA in game development, would it be worth it?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,082,405 times
I checked out Full Sail a couple of years ago, looking @ studying film production. I believe they are the real deal. They are very intensive (@ least in the field I was looking at) and they told me the same thing Annerk said: You will be immersed in the experience and the hours will not be regular. If you want it bad enough.....do it. I didn't go through with it because I would not have been able to work and do the program @ the same time.

I will go out on a limb and say if you commit to it, you will probably have the time of your life.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:19 AM

640 posts, read 3,065,667 times
My daughter graduated with a degree in Recording Arts last year. It is a very demanding schedule but it's worth it to finish quicker than the traditional route.

Is it worth the price? That remains to be seen for her. Everyone's situation is different though. If you have connections in the industry, if you have money to ride out trying to make it in the entertainment business, or maybe even having a spouse to help support you along the way can change your point of view. In our case, she went to LA and works 3 jobs just to live...because it's so expensive to live there. She did land a job in a very high profile recording studio as a paid "gopher" after 8 months of looking. I think she did land this job as a referral through Full Sail.

It's very competitive out there; most interns work for free so she is thankful they pay her minimum wage. She has her foot in the door, but has no idea when she'll be asked to help the sound engineers or get any hands on experience. She's going to give it one more year to see how it goes. If this is all she gets for the money she spent at Full Sail, I'd say it isn't worth it....for her. Time will tell.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:18 AM

2 posts, read 24,080 times
I'm currently in the Game Art program, and in all honestly, it's not for everyone. You have to really dedicated to your degree choice, but you basically have to be willing to give 100% of your time to your classes and labs. There's not much time for a job, but there is time for a social life. Almost every weekend, i drive two hours home to visit my old friends and I've made new friends that live in Orlando. To me, It's worth every cent I've paid so far, some of the teachers are not worth it, but that's anywhere you go. All i can really say is you've got to be dedicated and ready for real life here, otherwise you'll bum out

Old 07-26-2011, 08:59 AM

428 posts, read 1,076,848 times
H... No!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando