Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:54 PM

5 posts, read 12,061 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I've been reading lots of threads and haven't seemed to quite find someone in my situation. We are a young couple, no kids, and no need to commute (will be working from home with occasional trips to Miami) so no rush hour worries.

I am looking for something around 250 to 300k. 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bath, office as a minimum. So here are my preferences..

1. Newer Home - built after 2000
2. Easy access to shopping/ entertainment
3. Safe neighborhood
4. Nice finishes within home - granite, etc
5. Golf access

So, we've never really done the whole Disney thing, and wanna do a season pass or something like that. The areas I've been looking at are:

Windermere
Lake Mary
Longwood
Dr. Phillips

is Avalon and Waterford ok if you're not commuting?

in no certain order.

Is there somewhere I should be looking that I am not? Is it dumb to live by Disney ie Windermere because of all the traffic.. is Lake Mary, Longwood the best areas of town? I'm not incredibly worried about schools because we'll probably be moving in 7 years.. so the kids won't go to schools for too long if at all.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 04:37 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
I would recommend Oviedo, Lake Mary, and Winter Springs.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:42 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,532 times
Oviedo, Lake Mary, Winter Springs are far away from Disney and Universal.

Winderemere is the nicest area in Orlando, but the most expensive. You may have trouble with your budget there. I would really recommend Dr. Phillips. It's very peaceful and nice, yet you are right in the middle of everything. Universal 5 minutes away, Disney 10 minutes away, Sand Lake Road, Right there (the part between Apopka Vineland and I-4) is full of restaurants and now there is a brand new Whole Foods Market as well, International Drive is 10 minutes away, Butler Chain of Lakes is 5 minutes away, Mall at Millenia is 10 minutes away, you get my point. Definetly visit the area before deciding, I am almost positive you will choose it.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:52 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Lake Mary and Longwood meet all of your requirements. You have golf, shopping, restaurants, entertainment, movies, mall, YMCA, all with-in a five mile radius. It is very safe here. Look it up on Sperling's. We have a very low crime rate. We are located close to I-4, 417, and 17/92 which are the main arteries here. Disney and the beach are 40 minutes.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:07 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,388 times
Well for being close to entertainment you can't do better than Dr. Phillips being just a few minutes away from nearly EVERY tourist attraction there is along I-Drive, but you won't find newer homes in that area in that price range unfortunately. Townhomes or older Single family though wouldn't be a problem.

Windermere isn't too much further West of Dr. Phillips and I think it's a GREAT area with plenty of homes that match your criteria to choose from. Lot's of golfing in the area, safe, and generally newer throughout the whole area (not including downtown Windermere). This would be the first place I'd recommend you check out.

Longwood and Lake Mary are good choices, close to everything to do at the Seminole Town center and Altamonte mall, and of course plenty of nice places around Lake Mary, but you will get less house for the $ there. Plenty of outdoor recreation in that area too. A great place to live if your young and old.

Avalon really depends on what exactly your looking for. There have been a few other threads here recently, it's not for everybody, and you are taking a risk with so many foreclosures going on still in there.

Waterford is where I live and of course would recommend it but it's not for everyone. Eastwood or Stoneybrook I'm thinking may be a good choice for you only because the whole neighborhood is surrounded by golf. Close to plenty at the Waterford Lakes shopping Center.

You may also want to check out the Lake Nona and Lake hart area, Lot's of new shopping and entertainment going in over there, you can get plenty of house for the $. Plus Orlando's "medical corridor" being built just around the block.

Each area will fit the criteria given since you don't really have to worry about daily commute. What kind of feeling were you looking for in the area? Quiet and secluded, or closer to where everything happens? Do you like lot's of mature tree's and established neighborhoods surrounding, or like all brand new area's? Would you prefer a 3/2 with office that's only 1700 sq ft, or would you want closer to 3,000. 2,3 car Garage or pool desired? Would you prefer to not have to move when you eventually have kids? In that price range you don't have to get just a starter house.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 12,061 times
Thanks so much for the different perspectives. We are coming out for a house hunting trip in a couple weeks and will definitely be looking at all the areas mentioned. It seems like there are positives on the west and east side of town. I think the fact that we're young and want to be close to things to do makes me lean more towards Windermere, Dr. Phillips, but we'll have to see. If you were gonna rate the areas I've mentioned from most expensive to least how would they go?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:32 AM

Expensive

Windermere
Dr. Phillips
Lake Mary
Longwood

Cheapest

Definetly look at some houses along this square: Dr. Phillips Blvd to Sand Lake Road to Apopka Vineland Road to Conroy Windermere Road back to Dr. Phillips Blvd. You can drive a big square, which will give you some idea of the neighborhoods in this area. A realtor can show you the individual developments further south and north on Apopka Vineland.

Last edited by Jonotastic; 12-03-2008 at 05:10 AM..

Old 12-03-2008, 05:33 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
I'll throw is a vote for Lake Mary, Windermere and the Dr Phillips area. I'm a big fan of Heathrow too but that's probably not in your range.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the traffic. That's all relative, and it doesn't take long to learn the back roads. My husband goes from Rosemont to Sanford everyday and doesn't have to travel any of the major corridors.

Happy Hunting.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:02 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,464,433 times
I wouldnt consider living close to I drive and Disney a good thing. For the 14 years I lived there I avoided the tourist areas as much as I could. After 1-2 times of going to the attractions you will get tired of it. I wont even go to Disney if someone paid me! Standing in 2-3 hour lines is not fun for me.

As far as places to live for your price range......You cant beat the deals to be had right now. Avalon, Warterford lakes, and Eastwood are great places to live. Especially if no commute is involved. Any new subdivision is goign to have lots of forclusers. Its not just in the Avalon area. The entire new home market in Orlando boomed and was built way to fast. Now everyone is paying for it with forclosed houses everywhere. Eventually it will level itself out. You can get a great deal on a newer home right now thats in forclosure!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I wouldnt consider living close to I drive and Disney a good thing. For the 14 years I lived there I avoided the tourist areas as much as I could. After 1-2 times of going to the attractions you will get tired of it. I wont even go to Disney if someone paid me! Standing in 2-3 hour lines is not fun for me.

As far as places to live for your price range......You cant beat the deals to be had right now. Avalon, Warterford lakes, and Eastwood are great places to live. Especially if no commute is involved. Any new subdivision is goign to have lots of forclusers. Its not just in the Avalon area. The entire new home market in Orlando boomed and was built way to fast. Now everyone is paying for it with forclosed houses everywhere. Eventually it will level itself out. You can get a great deal on a newer home right now thats in forclosure!
Besides the theme parks, Orlando is fairly boring. Also, for resell value you want your house to be in a desired area close to all the action. Honestly though, for young people there isn't much Orlando has to offer. I'm speaking as a 21 year old and North Orlando is even more boring and has less to do for young people. You don't have to worry about standing in lines at theme parks as a local because you can just go during the last 2 hours of operations when the sun is cooler and the crowds are gone. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Jonotastic; 12-03-2008 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando