Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 07:26 PM

11 posts, read 56,659 times

Advertisements

I'm so excited I found this forum, this is the best. Everyone's posts I've read have been so helpful already. My boyfriend of 4 years and I moved to West Palm Beach from Worcester, MA 3 years ago. We are 25 and 27 and are looking to live somewhere else now and I need help finding a house to rent. Thornton Park and College Park sounded like the best fit from reading all the posts, so if you could tell me what specific areas to avoid looking at, or specific areas in those places to check out, it would be so great. We want to rent a house/bungalow in a real neighborhood. We'll look at condos and apartments, but we miss the neighborhood feel. We want to stay around $1000/month not including utilities, and we'd like 2+ bedrooms. We'd love to live near people close to our age too. Also, we don't have a realtor yet if you know one or are one! Thanks for any suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Try Craigslist.org, lots of places listed on there.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:30 AM

291 posts, read 1,203,997 times
I will send you a private message with my realtor info. He is a member here and has been extremely kind and helpful with finding us a rental home

Good luck with your move!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
A lot of the homes in those areas aren't listed with a Realtor, or if they are they never make it to the MLS, so other Realtors don't know about them.

I have a friend in College Park who found his rental by driving around the neighborhoods he wanted to be in looking for "For Rent" signs, and then calling the landlord direct. He ended up with several to choose from, and got a 2/1 with a living room, kitchen, and alcove room that could be a dining room (he uses it as a home office) plus a garage for $950 a month. Lawn care is included. Just to let you know, in those areas in your price range you are looking at 1920's bungalows with small rooms. (ie king sized beds will probably not fit, and even queens could be a bit tight.)

Thornton Park is truly urban living with all the benefits (and problems) that come with it. Higher housing costs, parking problems, vagrants in your neighborhood, higher crime that leaches over from Parramore a few blocks away. But it's also walking distance to great restaurants and the downtown entertainment district.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
The best suggestion is what's already been mentioned.

1. Drive around the neighborhood looking for rental signs, most rental homes here are rented directly by the owners.

2. Craiglists.

There really are no bad parts in either of these neighborhoods but some areas are less convenient than others. For instance if you want to stay in college park I would try to stay as close to Edgewater drive as possible because that's where the stores and restaraunts are located. In Thornton the main areas are Central and Summerlin but Thornton is easier walking neighborhood so just about anywhere will give you the same benefits. That being said, just my advice, but you may want to consider living further off the main strips in Thornton because they do get very busy and can be somewhat noisy from Wed-Sun. Both neighborhoods are great. College Park will have more selection in your price range but Thornton park is closer to the age demographic you're looking for. Hope this helps and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando