Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:58 PM

910 posts, read 2,330,266 times

Advertisements

Congratulations, people like you are starting to realize FL, especially the Orlando area, is only a great place to vacation, not to live. Sound like Colorado is what you're describing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 05:21 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
leave the Country. Try West Coast Canada. Vancouver , and its burbs , have it all. Canada has the most stable economy in the world these days. Don't discount the state of affairs this country is in , its only going to get worse.... If you are young , like mountains , the shore , culture , and low crime , live in a burb of Vancouver , or Victoria , work in the city , if you have to. Its not easy to get a visa , but It can be done,........ if I were only 20 years younger...............I would move to Yellowknife , NWT. An unbelievable place , full of young people , all new , almost no crime , great wages , health care , all there , and , a chance to get a start in the future of an emerging booming economy, a fronter in modern times......

Great if you want to pay ludicrously high taxes and I hope you never need a medical test thay may save your life. I know persons who have died waiting for their 'state funded' MRI, or CAT scan or whatever. It's FREE, but get to the back of the line.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Are you talking about Pittsburgh? I moved to Pittsburgh from Orlando and the cost of living is much lower up here, even with the stupid PA taxes, and crime is much lower here as well. Pittsburgh has a few bad areas where the majority of the crime is, and it rarely spreads outside those areas. Most of the surrounding neighborhoods and suburbs are extremely safe, much safer than those in Orlando. I mean NOTHING happens in most areas except for some petty crime like a stolen bike or something.

Actually, you described Pittsburgh perfectly. I've become a real outdoors person since I've moved up here, after being a couch potato in FL. Lots of biking and hiking trails throughout the area, with beautiful scenery due to all the rolling hills and wooded areas. Many large parks as well. Low crime rate, low cost of living (especially housing/rent), within an hour drive from the mountains, and lots of small, quirky towns around it. As for the job market? Eh, it's ok. I'm in health care, so I always could always find work up here, but other professions might be a challenge. But I think the job market is terrible in ANY city right now. Wages here arent as high as in most northeastern cities, but they are certainly better than Orlando.

As for the negatives? Well....to be blunt, the people up here are quite bizarre. They are some of the most sheltered people I've ever met. They have their own language, accent and customs that you will never see in any other city....and yet many have no idea that these things are unique to Pittsburgh only. But I've made some good friends and these weirdos can be quite warm and friendly.

Here's some great pics of the city... PittsburghSkyline.com - Original Photography from the Great City of Pittsburgh by Matt Robinson
Isn't that crime everywhere? It's in certain areas and not others? In Pine Hills but not Windermere? In Poincianna but not Dr. Phillips?

I AGREE PA is a great and beautiful state....I was only trying to point out things of consideration. You have the Pocono Mountains, The beach is not too far (altho you are a little farther in Pittsburgh but still not too far for a weekend jaunt) PA taxes are getting to be ridiculous. State auto inspections, etc... I do love the state and its grand beauty and nature. In fact, I drove to Pittsburgh to get my Papillon Puppy...who is the bestest ever!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Great if you want to pay ludicrously high taxes and I hope you never need a medical test thay may save your life. I know persons who have died waiting for their 'state funded' MRI, or CAT scan or whatever. It's FREE, but get to the back of the line.
My Canadian friends are not complaining . In fact , Health care in Vancouver is one of the best in the World.......... High taxes , yes , but a stable economy , which would you rather have ? Nothing wrong with spreading the wealth.The US is broke , if you are young , and adventurous, its time to get out , thats all.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:32 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You can not go wrong with Pennsylvania and especially Pittsburgh. Great scenery and great all around city. Good choice
I grew up in PA and lived there 29 years of my life. I wouldn't recommend it though. Although the summers are nice and short along with the beautiful fall, the winters are downright unbearable. It gets way too cold and cloudy (no sun) for about 8 months. Don't get me wrong, I like seasons, but I need my sunshine too. Therfore, if you'd like to stay on the east coast, I'd recommend VA, NC, or TN. You'll get more balanced seasons with sunshine.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I grew up in PA and lived there 29 years of my life. I wouldn't recommend it though. Although the summers are nice and short along with the beautiful fall, the winters are downright unbearable. It gets way too cold and cloudy (no sun) for about 8 months. Don't get me wrong, I like seasons, but I need my sunshine too. Therfore, if you'd like to stay on the east coast, I'd recommend VA, NC, or TN. You'll get more balanced seasons with sunshine.
LOL...I disagree....It is not cloudy for 8 months... Of course I live East of the mountains...I understand West of them there is more precipitation (ie Pittsburgh). But yes, those three months of winter many , many people suffer from SAD ( seasonal affected disorder) and I think I am beginning to as well. Its gloomy and cold, no doubt for three months... Its just really beginning that here now. It has been nice an temperate so far , interjected with a couple bitter cold days (in the 20's), and I must say, unseasonably so....like your couple days in the 30' that y'all had so far.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
LOL...I disagree....It is not cloudy for 8 months... Of course I live East of the mountains...I understand West of them there is more precipitation (ie Pittsburgh). But yes, those three months of winter many , many people suffer from SAD ( seasonal affected disorder) and I think I am beginning to as well. Its gloomy and cold, no doubt for three months... Its just really beginning that here now. It has been nice an temperate so far , interjected with a couple bitter cold days (in the 20's), and I must say, unseasonably so....like your couple days in the 30' that y'all had so far.
Well, I'm speaking about the Poconos. I suffered SAD really bad when I lived there. Now that I'm in FL, it never happens.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
I suffer SAD in Florida from having no changing seasons!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 PM

I do miss the seasons....

Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 PM

558 posts, read 1,834,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucara View Post
My fiance and I want to move out of Florida. I've lived here my whole life and hes lived here most of his.
We both hate it here and we're ready for a change.

What we are looking for:

A place that either up north or out west.
Nice snowy winters with warm/mild summers.
A large, lively city close by with quite small towns around it.
LOW LOW LOW crime rate
Decent job market
Decent price of living
We LOVE outdoor activities
Mountains would also be a plus

Places we DONT want:

Texas
Georgia
Alabama
Vermont
New Jersey
Illinois
New York
Florida (Obivously but just incase)
Arizona

Let me know what places you think would work best with our list!
I would move to South Central Pennsylvania. You'll have low low crime, high paying jobs, low cost of living, mountains, snow, the Susquehanna River, four seasons, state game lands galore, worker rights, and an overall excellent quality of life.

Pick a town in between Harrisburg and Lancaster city and you will have both cities to choose from for jobs. The Delaware beaches will be 3 hours away but they are nothing compared to the beautiful beaches in Florida.

The state inspection and emissions testing for vehicles is a minor inconvenience compared to all the many many many positives that this great area has to offer. It's only once a year and just as long as your vehicle is not a junker you shouldn't have to worry.

If you like a safe, friendly, affordable, family orientated area that has high paying jobs than Lancaster or Dauphin County is right for you. I was born and raised in Lancaster County, Pa and miss it every day.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando