Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 05:52 PM

23 posts, read 70,102 times

Advertisements

We are living within 15 miles of Disney, there are lots of groceries/shopping options around but honestly I feel that they are over-priced
Publix, is way over-price
Sams/Costco are the only other option although you can't buy everything from there.
Super Walmart is full of tourist so it isn't cheap
Super Target not even in my list

For cloths/home good
we have Khols/Russ/JCPenny/Macys/Sears but so rare to find resonable price.

are there any tips that can help for old resident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 06:36 PM

910 posts, read 2,319,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDream View Post
We are living within 15 miles of Disney, there are lots of groceries/shopping options around but honestly I feel that they are over-priced
Publix, is way over-price
Sams/Costco are the only other option although you can't buy everything from there.
Super Walmart is full of tourist so it isn't cheap
Super Target not even in my list

For cloths/home good
we have Khols/Russ/JCPenny/Macys/Sears but so rare to find resonable price.

are there any tips that can help for old resident?
All the places you mentioned are pretty much par for the course now. To say the cost of living down here is cheaper is becoming (or is now) a myth. In some cases, groceries are more expensive. For lower prices for supplies like toilet paper, etc., you'd have to go for the "Dollar" type stores, but you can't get groceries there.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:49 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,942,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
All the places you mentioned are pretty much par for the course now. To say the cost of living down here is cheaper is becoming (or is now) a myth. In some cases, groceries are more expensive. For lower prices for supplies like toilet paper, etc., you'd have to go for the "Dollar" type stores, but you can't get groceries there.
Actually the Dollar stores do have some groceries.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:22 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,125,564 times
Don't know why SuperTarget is not on your list. I really like shopping there and the stuff they carry. I think Walmart is trashy, but I like Publix a lot. I do not like wholesale clubs much either.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:23 PM

541 posts, read 1,990,177 times
The Publix near us is crazy as well. Whole Foods is cheaper than them! It comes from being in a tourist area. My mother in law sends the supermarket fliers down from MA and NH because I want to compare prices, and they are 1/2 the price of our groceries up there! Plus they double coupons.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:36 PM

291 posts, read 1,201,110 times
Well I know groceries are cheaper there than here in Asheville,NC. Everytime we visit Fl. I comment on how I wish we had a publix. As for Wal-Mart, don't they have good prices?
Are you all saying that the Wal-Mart of Publix in the tourist area like Davenport or Kissimmee have higher prices than a WalMart or Publix in Orlando somewhere?

Old 12-20-2008, 11:31 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,942,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthfaries View Post
Well I know groceries are cheaper there than here in Asheville,NC. Everytime we visit Fl. I comment on how I wish we had a publix. As for Wal-Mart, don't they have good prices?
Are you all saying that the Wal-Mart of Publix in the tourist area like Davenport or Kissimmee have higher prices than a WalMart or Publix in Orlando somewhere?
In the touristy areas, the restaurants and stores are more expensive. I think they may have a higher tax over there also. I noticed even at McDonalds the food is more expensive and some don't even have a dollar menu. IMHO, Publix is too expensive. I stick to Albertson's ( sale items and meats only), Walmart, Save-Alot or Aldi, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar or Dollar General.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:03 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,200,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Don't know why SuperTarget is not on your list. I really like shopping there and the stuff they carry. I think Walmart is trashy, but I like Publix a lot. I do not like wholesale clubs much either.
I agree, I used to shop the SuperTarget in Hunters Creek and I loved it there. Groceries there were just a few bucks more, no waiting in long lines like WalMArt and was 10000x times cleaner and layed out well.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:30 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,270,850 times
I have actually noticed that many things in Super Target are cheaper than Walmart. Like cheese and snack foods. There was a story on channel 9 a year or so ago that compared prices at grocery stores and Target came out on top and Walmart was 3rd. The only thing was that the selection of food was a lot smaller.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:06 PM

631 posts, read 2,444,501 times
The new Super Target downtown (SoDo) is literally half the price of many comparable items at Publix. I was a major Publix fan until Super Target opened downtown and I will never go back to Publix (Unless Target is just doing this as a ploy to get people in the doors!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando