Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 PM

19 posts, read 118,650 times

Advertisements

We've been looking and researching for the past few years for a move to Florida after the kids graduate from high school. We think we've narrowed it down to Windermere or Winter Park. Do any of you feel strongly about one versus the other? Are there any similar towns that are comparable to these two that I'm overlooking? My husband works out of our home so commute is not an issue.

What are good neighborhoods for both? I've heard good things about Tuskawilla for Winter Park but don't know much about it. We are looking in the 500,000 - 800,000's, so no Isleworth for us!!
Thank you for any info you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 12:05 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,532 times
I would definetly choose Windermere. I could go into detail, but I'll just say visit both when you visit and you will see why. Location, area, shopping, restaurants, atmosphere everything

Old 12-30-2008, 04:23 AM

2 posts, read 10,685 times
Default What about schools in both?

I have the exact same question that was posted but would also like to know about schools in Windermere vs Winter Park.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:40 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
If you prefer a more urban environment go for Winter Park. If you prefer more Suburban than Windermere is the better choice. Both areas are very nice and have good amenities as far as shopping and dining. Similar areas you may want to consider Heathrow, Sweetwater/Wekiwa (Longwood), and Tuskawilla. Overall I think Winter Park has the better public schools but not a huge difference. From what I've heard both school districts are very strong.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:37 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdann View Post
We've been looking and researching for the past few years for a move to Florida after the kids graduate from high school. We think we've narrowed it down to Windermere or Winter Park. Do any of you feel strongly about one versus the other? Are there any similar towns that are comparable to these two that I'm overlooking? My husband works out of our home so commute is not an issue.

What are good neighborhoods for both? I've heard good things about Tuskawilla for Winter Park but don't know much about it. We are looking in the 500,000 - 800,000's, so no Isleworth for us!!
Thank you for any info you can give!
Tuskawilla is actually the Winter Springs and Oviedo Area, did you mean Winter Springs and not Winter Park?

I personally love the Winter Springs area, but downtown Winderemere and all the lakes in that area are also great. Are you guys into Water Sports? Golfing? You mentioned you plan on being Empty Nesters, did you want to stay a little closer to the theme parks for when the kids visit?

For your Price range, in Windermere, you have ALOT of newer neighborhoods you can check out, and can find homes in the 4000+ sqft range. Check out Keene's point, it's not Isleworth, just down the street from it though, and some very nice homes.

In Tuskawilla and the area, you have Glen Eagle if you wanted to be IN the tuskawilla Countryclub area, as well as several smaller neighborhoods up and down Tuskawilla Rd like StoneHurst, St. Johns Landing etc. the Neighborhoods around Bear Gully Lake are also great, and that would put you on the border of Winter Park and Winter Springs.

In Winter Park you won't get as much of a house for the $ as in other area's, but still should be geting 2500-3500 sqft and a much more olde town feel. The closer you stay to Park Ave that has all the boutiques the better usually. Baldwin Park is also a great choice in Winter Park that has great walkability and is a little town in itself.

I would also put on the list Lake Mary to check out. Alaqua Lakes is the premier neighborhood with lot's of amenities, for sub 800K you can find a 2K-4K sqft home with plenty of upgrades, same goes with Heathrow just up the street.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 AM

Thanks for all the great responses so far!

I think I was getting Winter Springs and Winter Park mixed up as far as the Tuskawilla area. How is Winter Springs? I had heard that the bad areas were too close by so we sort of ruled it out ...

What are some good neighborhoods in Windermere? I heard that Keenes Point was more of a transient place and that it had tons of homes for sale and was pretty big with different sections,etc. So we had ruled that out as well, but mabye we should consider taking a look.

Have heard good things about Heathrow but don't know much about it. What are the good neighborhoods? Also for the Sweetwater area? Thanks for the info on Lake Mary as well!

We do like golf, tennis, swimming and boating and would visit the theme parks probably monthly. Would like to be near nice shopping and dining but also near grocery stores, Target, etc.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:40 AM

290 posts, read 688,641 times
Windermere is kind of the newer Winter Park..but really just a lot of high price neighborhoods. Winter Park is an older area, but does have tons of nice homes as well. Again, like any town though, there's areas that are not so nice. I'm not sure where the "shopping & restaurants" are in Windermere as it's really a bunch of upscale housing developments. There's shopping around, but not in Windermere. Winter Park has the upscale parks & shops on Park Ave. and the newer Winter Park Village complex with shops, restaurants, & a movie theater.

I'm not bashing Windermere by any means as it is a nice area, I just think you'd get more of a "homey" feeling in WP.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:54 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdann View Post
Thanks for all the great responses so far!

I think I was getting Winter Springs and Winter Park mixed up as far as the Tuskawilla area. How is Winter Springs? I had heard that the bad areas were too close by so we sort of ruled it out ...

I think you are still mixing up Springs with Park, Winter Park is actually closer to some bad area's that anywhere in Winter Springs. Winter Park is a verynice upscale area and there isn't anything else like their Park Ave area, but heading easy toward semoran you hit a rough area, and south past Baldwin Park isn't great either. Winter Springs I can't think of any "bad" area's.

What are some good neighborhoods in Windermere? I heard that Keenes Point was more of a transient place and that it had tons of homes for sale and was pretty big with different sections,etc. So we had ruled that out as well, but mabye we should consider taking a look.

There are a ton of homes for sale in Keenes, and throughout Windermere really. Most of the development in Windermere happened during the boom and there was over building and alot of "investors" that bought and are now dumping. It is still a great area that will eventually settle down, but for now there will be lot's of homes for sale....creating opportunity for great deals, but it will be more transient until then.

Have heard good things about Heathrow but don't know much about it. What are the good neighborhoods? Also for the Sweetwater area? Thanks for the info on Lake Mary as well!

Heathrow is it's own neighborhood in Lake Mary. A large golf development behind a manned guard gate, a main drag that serves several smaller neighborhoods inside the larger neighborhood. As far as Sweetwater, the wekiva area in general is nice, and more of a traditional suburb. Lot's of tree's back roads, and older houses mixed in with a few newer neighborhoods. Not 100% familiar with Wekiva though, I could have a colleage get you some specific info if you happened to like that area

We do like golf, tennis, swimming and boating and would visit the theme parks probably monthly. Would like to be near nice shopping and dining but also near grocery stores, Target, etc.
Dr. Phillips and Windermere would have all of what you are looking for and be closest to the theme parks. With the plethura of lakes in the area you can go boating and fishing on a whim, and there are golf courses everywhere....Bay Hill would be your closest golf for Dr. Phillips. Lot's of very nice shopping, dining, and your grocery stores right on sand lake West of I-4 so no traffic, then there is everything to do on I-Drive just up the street....and of course the Millenia Mall. I can't think of the main tennis club name that's around there, but being near all the theme parks there are courts everywhere to use.

Lake Mary and Alaqua Lakes specifically would also fit you well. In the neighborhood itself you have tennis courts, golf, community pool (or your own) and has the seminole towncenter mall not to far away with lot's of nice boutiques and restaurants down the street from Alaqua's entrance

Glad to be of Help!

Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the great info Gregtraub!

Are there any other specific neighborhoods that anyone loves in Windermere?

Old 01-02-2009, 05:05 PM

46 posts, read 246,066 times
Default neighborhoods in Windermere

We moved here about 4 months ago and despite the doom and gloom on these forums, we really do like it here. My favorite neighborhoods in Windermere:
1. Reserve at Lake Butler Sound: One of the nicest looking neighborhoods around, there are some homes in the 5-800k range, with the high end at 20m + which is good for the lower range. We live here and love it, people are friendly and there are many neighborhood activities. Johnny Damon and Warren Sapp are among the residents.
2. Keene's Point: Broad range of homes and a very nice country club that is reasonably priced and very active, which we've joined-
3. Isleworth- highest priced, if you want ultimate security even among the gated neighborhoods then this is the one.
4. Reserve at Belmere- lower high end than the neighborhoods above but very nice with a small lakeside park with tennis and fitness center.

We chose Windermere over Winter Park, both are very nice but one is more pure suburb, the other, urban suburb. You won't be more than 5-10 mins from basic shopping- ie groceries, and 10-15mins from bigger shopping centers. It is a very tranquil type of environment, wonderful sidewalks and gardens. I drive to downtown with little traffic to note, within 25-35 mins. The Dr. Phillips area has extremely good restaurants, and some nice plazas, but there is nothing like Park Ave in Winter Park.
We can be out in orange groves or cow farms in about 5-7 minutes and in some surprisingly hilly areas in Lake county in 10-15 minutes. Winter Garden has a quaint and real downtown about 15mins away that is a small working class version of Park Ave with about 7-10 restaurants, coffee houses, bakery, cobblestones and a small theater, and is on the West Orange Bike trail, a 20+ mile trail that is really nice.
If you like boating, Windermere is very convenient for the Butler Chain which is very nice.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando