U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:01 AM

631 posts, read 2,322,983 times

Advertisements

I love Orlando and am a proud supporter of it, but I have to say if you have a family then Metrowest might not be a place for you at all. All the other choices are great though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 6,708 times
[quote=venpco;6792907]If you want to be close to the orlando area, Metro West would be best.

Do not move to Metrowest. I moved out of there 3 yrs ago because the crime was beginning to get so bad! Also the traffic is horrible. Honestly everywhere in Orlando is about 30min away from everything. East orlando is very nice in certain areas. Lake Nona is up and coming, beautiful and tranquil. Winter Park is also very nice.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 AM

37 posts, read 119,311 times
Get a job first then have at least 3 months worth of living expenses in the bank before a move. Financial issues aside, living in Florida is great. One thing I know from experience (unfortunately) is that sometimes you have to look 2 or 3 steps ahead when living in Orlando.

I miss Orlando and would like to come back, and was even offered a job starting this February making $78k. While the same job in Dallas is 100k+ I actually considered it for a minute. Then I thought that if something happened and I lost my Orlando job, I would never ever be able to replace it for 6 to 8 months and would probably end up having to relocate again.

So "finding a job" may be too simplistic. Its more about finding a job that you can live without and replace quickly. In FL they will downsize, rightsize, restructure, or simply can you on a whim. Just my opinion, but I've lived it.

Either way, good luck. If my consulting business continues to take off like it has the past 6 months, my base will be in Central Florida. Until then though, I'm staying where the money is!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:20 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,096,101 times
Check out Dr. Phillips and Windermere. Great schools. First hand experience, I'm not talking from researching stats, I lived in that area.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:01 PM

7 posts, read 19,539 times
The most unfriendly place I have ever lived. As soon as the real estate market recovers I am out of here. Guess where the most corrupt goverment officials are located. Not in Chicago, here in Florida. Property taxes outrageous, goverment spends money like it grows on trees.
Cops with radar every where speed traps by the gazillions.
People here are retired and have nothing better to do than argue and make every one else miserable. Retirement communities are every where filled with cranky old people who are looking to rumble over nothing.
Crazy drivers switch lanes for no apparent reason. If you are wise you would be better served to go somewhere else even if it is a little cooler.
Waaaaay to hot in the summer. Only thing good here are the oranges.
Been here four years can't wait until I get to go to some other state.
What was I thinking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:04 AM

42 posts, read 112,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoine4838 View Post
How about not coming here, pleaaasssssssssse do not come here, it is a hell hole, some of the most unfriendly people are here in central florida, im leaving in 6mths, and moving, the school is a joke, the crime is getting worse everyday, the traffic is crazy, and the people are some of the most unfriendly in the world, please heed my warning, do not come here, it is the worst place i have ever lived in my life, and i have lived all over the world. I can even would rather go back to ny in the dead of winter than live here. And i hate snow, there is something wrong with the people here, maybe its the heats the reason they are so unfriendly. The people in manhattan are easier to deal with than here, i love florida, but i hate central florida, and miami. Im moving to paisley where the people are a little more human.
This person is way off base on this. we moved here from Maryland because we were ready for a change and did have family here. md. was great lived there all my life but it just has been great here, beautiful many things to do if you choose to. We are in Seminole county, schools are great, we have a son in high school who is almost finished which I'm kind of glad because we no longer will have to worry about the school issue, CRIME is everywhere if you use common sense most of the time no matter where you live you can avoid problems. I found the people to be just as friendly as in Md., I guess its how you also present yourself. Traffic no worse than Md,. D.C. We really love it here and will try to make Orlando a better place by doing our part. Good Luck

Old 01-04-2009, 04:46 PM

17 posts, read 34,577 times
Thanks I believe that you make it where ever you can..I love fla and i go at least 2 or more times yearly. People will always be ppl no matter where you are..I don't pay any attention to small minded ppl not even older ppl..

Old 01-04-2009, 04:59 PM

17 posts, read 34,577 times
Thanks you all..I have enjoyed reading all the post..Becky I actually lived in the Raleigh area..It's nice here but like I said my mother in law won't do well living in cold weather..She's used to warm climate weather..She lives right now in Puerto Rico(villa carolina), and I really love the Fla area, and so does she...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando