U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:50 PM

1,643 posts, read 3,827,917 times

Advertisements

We were thinking of heading to the Flea World Flea Market for tomorrow just for something to do. I wanted to know if it is in a bad area?(crime) Is it worth it? I hate to drive for 2 hrs and get there and it is in the hood and just a bunch of junk.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 07:00 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,762,255 times
My own personal opinion is Flea World is more of an outdoor market than a Flea Market. The area it's in is fine.

Don't get me wrong I don't hate Flea World but to me a Flea Market is people pulling up with folding tables and stuff getting pulled out of the truck.
That kind of Flea Market can be found at the Orlando fairgrounds on Saturday and Sunday.

A nice combination of the two is Mt Dora Flea market.

All in all, Flea World is ok. I hope you have a great time.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:28 PM

Thanks! So are you saying it's more like stores outdoors? The only reason we wanted to go to this one was some man told us it is the biggest one around and takes hours to walk through. I am looking for house plants so I figured I might have a great selection there.

I have heard of Mt Dora. Don't they have a big craft fair there?

Thanks for all your help

Old 01-01-2009, 09:02 PM

12,004 posts, read 27,437,644 times
Flea World is a great place! I love it! It's in a safe area too. It has everything you can think of. It's all indoors, except Fun World which has rides, go-carts and mini-golf. It does take hours to walk through and you can bargain with them. It is definately worth the trip. You won't be disappointed.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:45 PM

24,010 posts, read 23,358,965 times
Just south of Daytona... Oak Hill Flea Market

Old 01-02-2009, 04:09 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,751,794 times
It's worth the trip and even though some of the places are just stores with no actual store of their own, they are passing on serious savings to the customers because the "overhead" is so low. Plan on spending the whole day there.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:58 AM

631 posts, read 2,240,929 times
Flea World used to be a real Flea Market with second hand items, rare finds, etc. I am not commenting one way or another on what it's like there now, but a good chunk of everything is stiff you find in a Dollar Store - Made From China. A lot of cheap, mass produced items. I am not so sure you will find any house plants?

The worst part is the poor animals there. If you are a bird lover of any sort it will horrify you.

Otherwise it is safe and you should go at least one time if you haven't ever been. I second the Mt. Dora option as wel.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:06 AM

12,004 posts, read 27,437,644 times
I forgot to add on Fri some of the vendors are not open. It's better to go Sat or Sun.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:31 PM

Thanks for all your tips. Becky is right, don't go on Friday. It was a huge waste of time for us. We drove 2.5 hrs and arrived at 8:45am, they open at 9:00 and there were about 4 cars in the parking lot. We walked in, nothing. They were all closed. I saw a few Korean people arranging their items, they ignored us. I finally found a lady and asked her what time it opened and she said " well 9am but with the economy not too many people open up on time or at all. She said it is dead there on Fridays.

I wish I would have read the posts before I left We noticed lots of "Dollar Store" items. TONS of that. Those were really the only places open. There were a few cell phone places and a barber shop. I didn't see the birds but I could hear the poor dogs crying. I felt bad. You know they are puppy mills Fort Myers also has the puppy mill dogs. Sad

Thanks for the Daytona place. I can check that out sometime

Old 01-03-2009, 12:34 PM

765 posts, read 2,399,226 times
Does anyone know a good flea market for second hand goods; especially electronic items? I collect old 80s style boomboxes and old radios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or